Latest post Wed, Apr 30 2008 8:39 PM by Edit2007. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 27 2008 7:42 PM

• Random Post
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto, canada
    • Posts 81
    • Points 1,025

MC cannot "see" DV Deck

I Upgraded from XpressPro (Mojo SDI) to MC 2.8.1 last week.

I've been able to digitize/digital cut analog component since then.  BUT, Media Composer cannot see the DSR-45 (DV Deck).  The firewire cable is connected to the back of the mojo-SDI (just like it use to be in Xpress Pro... and it worked very well).

Currently, the computer "sees" the deck, but i cannot configure the "Deck Configuration" menu (in MC)  to the DV deck.

What gives ?   Yes, I did check for previous posts on this subject, but I am at a loss.

Mojo SDI driver is recent at 2.2.5.6  (January 7,2008)

Thanks for your help

Michel

MC 8.8.6 on a Z820 Win7/64 48Gb RAM, Black Magic design Decklink Studio 4k... C drive is a Crucial SSD, Internal 6Tb esata (striped 2x3Tb), HP Thunderbolt2... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Thu, Mar 27 2008 8:09 PM In reply to

Re: MC cannot "see" DV Deck

Random Post:
    The firewire cable is connected to the back of the mojo-SDI (just like it use to be in Xpress Pro... and it worked very well).
    Have you tried connecting the deck directly to the CPU?

What version of Pro did you upgrade from?

• Thu, Mar 27 2008 9:01 PM In reply to

• Random Post
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto, canada
    • Posts 81
    • Points 1,025

Connected to CPU - Yes, the deck it works no problem... BUT have to disconnect Mojo SDI and connect DSR45 cable in its' place.

Upgraded from Xpress 5.8.2  (the latest version)

Michel

MC 8.8.6 on a Z820 Win7/64 48Gb RAM, Black Magic design Decklink Studio 4k... C drive is a Crucial SSD, Internal 6Tb esata (striped 2x3Tb), HP Thunderbolt2... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 27 2008 9:19 PM In reply to

Random Post:
    Connected to CPU - Yes, the deck it works no problem...
    For me since MC soft was released Firewire ingest through Adrenaline has become as flakey as hell.

Now if I use FW in I go through a seperate FW card for reliable capture. Whem I finish capturing that way and switch back to DNA more often than not the Adrenaline has dropped into NTSC mode (in a PAL Project) requiring a full DNA power cycle to get it back to PAL mode.

• Thu, Mar 27 2008 10:19 PM In reply to

• Random Post
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto, canada
    • Posts 81
    • Points 1,025

I got it !

I figured it out, after several hours of lost time.

Plug the DV Deck firewire cable plugged in the Mojo SDI firewire input.... turn DV deck on...wait until computer sees the deck...launch MC...Under the "Special" pull-down menu, click to "Device" and switch from "Avid DNA", to IEEE1394.

THEN, open then "Deck Configuration" menu and "add new channel', "autoconfigure and so on...The software should instantly recognize the DV deck.

When finished digitizing, switch back to "Avid DNA" under the "Special", "Device" menus.

Wheeww... that was a waste of time.

Michel

• Thu, Mar 27 2008 10:21 PM In reply to

Hi,

I'm glad you got it working, and thanks for letting us know how you figured it out.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:33 PM In reply to

• Random Post
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto, canada
    • Posts 81
    • Points 1,025

Thanks to all in this terrific forum for your support.

As an aside, when I upgraded (last week) from XpressPro 5.8.2 to MC 2.8.2, the process was quite straightforward, BUT, for whatever reason, the "Pan & Zoom" plugin did not install automatically into the AVX folder.  It was nowhere to be found.  I called Avid... they emailed me the plugin... I downloaded it.... then I manually dragged 'n dropped into the AVX plugin folder.  works like a charm.

Michel

It's a love and hate relationship with computers.

• Tue, Apr 29 2008 6:14 PM In reply to

• Edit2007
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 5 2006
    • Posts 78
    • Points 945

I just purchased a new Avid Mojo SDI unit. I am using MC v 2.5 Academic to test it until I can get the full version of MC. I am using an HP XW8200 Dual , some external drives (USB and SCSI) have a M4U client monitor (can I bridge component in and out here?), a Dell 2407 flat monitor,  an audio mixer, and have a sony HVR V1U camera that so far can't connect to the PC or Mojo...(There is a big chance the camera's circuit is not good on the 1394 connector, importing component from DV camera is fine) but what I will do next is find a VTR or camera (someone I know has a Sony XDCam HD camera or I will rent a VTR) that has all three I/O (SDI, 1394, Component) so I can make sure this Mojo works fine and see if going any farer with another MC makes sense or not. Any sugestions on what VTR / camera will test the limits of the Mojo SDI (Lowes cost with HDV / DV / component and DVCPRO I/O inputs)???

So far I can never get to remote the camera (it never recognize it) , component or any of the other way to connect with the Mojo SDI.

Thank you!

• Tue, Apr 29 2008 7:25 PM In reply to

• Random Post
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto, canada
    • Posts 81
    • Points 1,025

Hello Edit2007,

I think you have a driver and configuration issue.

Lets start from scratch.  I guess you are using windows XP, Service Pack 2 ?  Is that correct ? Yes or no ?

1- Re-start your computer, WITHOUT ANY 1394 or USB deck/Mojo/drives connected.  re-start with only computer monitor and SCSI drives on.

2- RIGHT click on "My Computer", then click on "manage", a new window will open.

3- in the new window that just opened (Computer Management), click on "device Manager"

Are there any yellow signs anywhere on the right-hand column?   If there are yellow warning icon(s) , then you have to re-install the driver where it is not working.  I will not go thru the procedure here... way too long to type.  If you have yellow warning icon(s) and cannot solve the problem, get help form a computer tech. 

If there are NO yellows warning signs then your basic computer set-up seems to be working OK.

Leave the "Computer Management" window open.... Now, connect your HVR V1U camera to a 1394 port and turn it on...wait 5 seconds.  In the "Computer Management" window, something should have changed.  The computer should have 'seen'  the camera and add it to the list of components (right-hand side column) of the "Computer Management" window.   It should be under 'imaging device'

If nothing happens, (if the computer cannot 'see' your HVR V1U), then connect to other 1394 ports.  There is one in front and one in the back of the computer.  Wait 5 seconds everytime you plug/unplug into 1394 ports.  Do not ever connect something into both (front and rear) 1394 ports at the same time.  You are asking for trouble.  Use either the front 1394 port or the rear port.  One at a time.

If nothing happens  (if the computer cannot 'see' anything) then try to connect any other type of equipment into one 1394 port at a time.  If nothing happens.... do you have a bad 1394 cable ?  can you try all of the above with a new 1394 cable ? 

Lets assume the HVR V1U deck was 'seen' by the computer and loaded the driver properly:  Then launch MC (no yellow warning icons anywhere) (leave Mojo disconnected for now) and see if your project works.  Can you edit ?  Can you digitize?  Can you configure MC to control/digitize to/from your HVR V1U camera ?  You should be able to fully control and digitize your HVR V1U.  MC should work without any problem.

Please try the above and let me know.  If your computer and MC do not work (as described above) then there is no need to involve Mojo because you still have a driver or configuration problem.

Let me know how you're doing...I'll check this posting in a little while.... then we can troubleshoot Mojo

Michel

• Wed, Apr 30 2008 5:25 PM In reply to

• Edit2007
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 78
    • Points 945

Hi Michel, Thank you for taking the time to help me.

A) Windows XP , Service Pack 2, Dual, 3.4MHZ, 120GB, 2GB RAM, HP XW8200

B) No yellow signs. Camera do not connect using either 1394 in this HP. Went carefully as you sugested and tested also with another 1394 that it did worked just fine with both 1394 connectors. I even tested with my laptop (same XP, etc) and the camera is nowhere. Sony said I have to send it and they will fix the circuit so 1394 works.

C) Note: "Do not ever connect something into both (front and rear) 1394 ports at the same time" ....I never connected anything at the same time but I did used both connections with say an external drive in one and the camera in the other or two external drives. Did I screw something by doing so? please let me know.

D) Note: The HP has an extra PCI (As Avid recomend) PYRO PCI 64R2. Using it only for the Mojo SDI 1394 host cable.

C) I would personally prefer cameras and decks works (1394) through the Mojo, otherwise there is no compact and portable use of the Mojo besides monitor. Unfortunatelly I don't have any SDI equipment to test the SDI cable but component works fine I/O BUT no control on VTRs (I had an HDV camera for a couple of hours the other day and was able to import using 1394 but not only with no VTR control but with difficulties.....Mojo power, connection, etc problems).

D) When using the other HDV camera (Sony 1000U?) the other day (After carefully choosing Special > Devices > 1394 ) it says NO IMPUTS AVAILABLE on the Video tab in the CAPTURE TOOL when trying to import an HDV project, no problems like that importing SD. I know it was because of my 1394 was actually not working (on camera)but I thought I should tell you about the sign.

Before this test my CAPTURE TOOL  or MEDIA CREATION TABS would only give me DNX HD 145 MXF as my only format available with the same sign saying NO IMPUTS AVAILABLE in the CT.....Never understood why, it did came back a couple of times but I don't see it anymore. I try to always use MXF but this was unknown to me.

I was able to import / export COMPONENT from HDV camera to Avid and from Avid to DVD device. When working with a DVCAM footage (30i project) CAPTURE TOOL would always say NO DECK, not matter what I do. Mojo is check (SPECIAL > DEVICE > DNA) Trying all tabs under VTR and choose all HDVs on menu and even tried with GENERIC. I have a Component out of HDV camera to MOJO. Digitize footage by playing from HDV and clicking RECORD in CT. Was only able disabling VTR (Togle source tab). TC of the day and AUTO DETECT. Vector and Wavfm. working fine. (can change chroma or luminance in import).

To output component with DIGITAL CUT TOOL only access / possible using Local.

When working with an HDV 1080i/59.94 HDV project: in the VIDEO tab of CT I read NO INPUTS AVAILABLE and I can't even open DIGITAL CUT TOOLS. However I was able to output as 1080i HDV manually using component cable out.

Resuming : NO connection using 1394 w/HDV V1U (A Sony problem I guess). I think this 1394 works, just need to fix my camera....BUT I am worry that Idon't have NO CONTROL on VTRs. None. And other things I mentioned earlier (DNX, etc. ) . My DVD recorder (old Phillips DVDR 985) was able to record using the 1394 in front (only input available) using the 1394 I/O out of the Mojo.

Well, more importantly, please help me find out why is something so simple as VTR (RS422?) remote using component is not working when digitizing (Component out HDV camera) into Avid....why is HDV V1U not in the list of cameras / VTRs....what is best, GENERIC or another Sony HDV model when choosing from the list in settings?

Thanks a lot!

• Wed, Apr 30 2008 6:40 PM In reply to

• Random Post
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto, canada
    • Posts 81
    • Points 1,025

Hello Edit2007,

Glad to know we've narrowed troubles to a "faulty" HDVR1.

I do not think you damaged anything by having used two 1394 ports at the same time.  I generally find that using a single 1394 drive/deck/etc I get a more stable system.  Although HP has two 1394 ports (front/back) it seems to me that the computer behaves as if both ports were connected to the same port, inside the computer.

You should have Mojo connected directly to the 1394 ports at the rear of the computer.  Leave the front 1394 unused.  Use the USB connector on your hard drives to connect to computer - if so equiped.. or connect your 1394 drives to the additional PCI firewire card you have.

Please be aware (and I am sorry to repeat this if you already know it) that when you digitize to/from HDV firewire camcorder, you should have Mojo disconnected and have the camcorder 1394 cable connected to the 1394 port.  Yes, you are supposed to be able to do this when Mojo is present, then software-switch-off Mojo, but I've worked on several computers where that feature did not work reliably well.  I don't know why.  Ever since those days (last year) I now disconnect my Mojo (1394 port back of computer) and connect my camcorder directly to the back of computer 1394 port.  It works.    The computer always 'sees' the camcorde (computer Management Window) and when I launch MC I can capture or output thru the camcorder.  Try that configuration.  That will also give you control of the camcorder.  That single firewire cable carries the digital image/sound AND control.  You will have to configure MC to control the camcorder.

The Mojo is only "good" for screening, editing etc.  Have it disconnected when capture/digital cut any HDV project.  Since HDV exists only in a digital environment, you cannot capture/digital cut  that signal in analogue component.  Analogue component is for standard resolution only.

Deck control.  You should be aware that professional VTRs need a RS-232 control signal, not RS-422.  You should have an adaptor (such as a DataMate makes) that converts the bi-directional control signal.  Mine came with the Xpress Pro software I purchased.  There are several RS-422 to RS-232 converters on the market.  Google it, or call your local Avid re-seller.  The 9 pin control cable should connects to the RS-422 connector on the back of your computer through a 'converter' then onto the back of the VTR you want to control.  NOTE: some computer BIOS have the RS-422 port turned off when leaving the factory.  Check your BIOS to make sure the port is active. 

Hope this helps.  You can contact me randompost@hotmail.com  and I could give you my phone number.... my hands are sore.

Michel

• Wed, Apr 30 2008 8:39 PM In reply to

• Edit2007
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 78
    • Points 945

I am out the door but I will try going directly as soon as I get a camera / VTR working OK. And research more.

Thank you again and I will contact you if I really have to bather you. Hopefully I will fix it my self now. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller