Latest post Wed, Mar 26 2008 9:12 PM by camoscato. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 26 2008 6:22 PM

• WTVT_Ian
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • Tampa, FL
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Avid to Agility reference file audio

I have question about exporting Quicktime reference files from an AVID Newscutter to an Agility Anystream across a house network.

No matter how much I pump up the levels in a sequence before I export it, once it’s processed by Agility (converted to Flash) the audio levels are low.

It’s only reference files that are giving us the problem.

I can take the same sequence and export it as a standard .MOV to a thumb drive, and then manually plug it into Agility and the levels are fine.

I can’t seem to find any settings in the export process that would allow me to tweak audio levels.

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 7:13 PM In reply to

Re: Avid to Agility reference file audio

Hi,

Is there any way to play the file in Anystream prior to conversion to check and see if the levels are making it there ok?  Failing that, are there any settings in Anystream to change the audio levels?

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 7:22 PM In reply to

• WTVT_Ian
    • Not Ranked
    • Tampa, FL
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

I don't think there's a way to play them because they're just reference files. Like I said before, if I export the full sized file and process that, the levels are fine.

That's why I don't think it's an Agility setting.

There is a way to crank up the levels in Agility, but we already have them maxed out.

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 7:48 PM In reply to

• Ralph162
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 6
    • Points 70

I use Agilty Web with AvidXpress. I use reference files across the network. For the most part, the audio has not been to much of a problem.

Are the volume levels in your Reference export file low? Or is it just in the encoded files? Although I am not sure this is your problem, you may want to be very careful using the Agility normalization and Compressor features. When using those, I have had issues similar to the one you described. I usually disable them.

If I need to boost the audio I go to the Preprocessor tab and select Audio>Volume Filter Type>Adjust. It usually takes a large boost to hear the effect (sometimes 200% or so)

Ralph

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 8:18 PM In reply to

• WTVT_Ian
    • Not Ranked
    • Tampa, FL
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

We already have the Agility volume filter type set to 'adjust' and then raised to 200% (the highest it will go).

We've always had an issue with Agility putting out files with low audio - basically, anything sent in with a "normal" level comes out low, so before we started using Avid, we just cranked up the levels in the files we were sending over and that worked.

I figured we'd just do the same thing with Avid, but if you crank up the audio in a sequence, somehow it gets dropped down to a "normal" level when it's exported as a .MOV reference file, but not as a full size .MOV - very odd.

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 8:50 PM In reply to

Hi,

Can you export a QT reference to the desktop of any Avid machine and play it back in Quicktime and check the audio level?  At least that way you could verify that the levels are OK before they get to Agility.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 8:57 PM In reply to

• WTVT_Ian
    • Not Ranked
    • Tampa, FL
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Cool, I tried that and the levels are okay, so it must be an Agility issue - interesting, Thanks.

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 9:12 PM In reply to

No problem.  I hope you're able to get it figured out.

good luck,
    Carl

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller