Latest post Wed, Mar 26 2008 7:45 PM by ericzlot. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 25 2008 4:57 PM

• ericzlot
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 10
    • Points 125

sorting effects in effect Palette list

I'm working on a project where I'm using a lot of pre-built effetcs. I have them all saved into one bin so I can easily access them all from that bin in the effect palette. Here's my problem. I can't seem to get the effects to sort inside of the effect Palette window. No matter how I label or sort them in the actual bin, the sort order in the effect palette seems random. Does anyone know how, if it's at all possible to specify a sort order inside the effect palette? It's be nice to have them alphabetical at least.

• Tue, Mar 25 2008 5:46 PM In reply to

Re: sorting effects in effect Palette list

Nope. I'm afaid not - you cannot sort the contents of the effects palette tool. Sorting only works for bin contents.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 12:00 PM In reply to

ericzlot:
    It's be nice to have them alphabetical at least.

OK, a follow up - I'm curious. I'm on Media Composer not Symphony Nitris, but in my effects palette the contents of both columns are already in alphabetical order. Are your's not?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 2:38 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,995
    • Points 37,770

It sounds like he's using the effects in a bin feature. If you have a bin with effects in it, and you scroll all the way down in your effects palette, you will see that bin listed at the bottom after a hard delineation line. Clicking on that will list all the effects in that bin in the effects palette right hand side.

The question is how to sort those. There has to some sort of sort order that Avid applies. If it isn't alphabetical, maybe it's the order they are dropped in the bin originally? This would be my first test if I were you. CReate a new effects bin and drop in 3 effects and see if it's the order you added them.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 4:06 PM In reply to

TCurren:
    If it isn't alphabetical, maybe it's the order they are dropped in the bin originally?

Hi,

I tried this on a Newscutter Adrenaline today (don't remember exactly which version, but it's pretty up to date; I'd guess it was 6.7.7), and it's the order they're dropped in the bin.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 5:09 PM In reply to

• ericzlot
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 125

Even when I remove things from the bin and then drop them back in in the order I'd like them to be listed in it always sorts it in the same odd manner. No rhyme or reason. I made 4 new effect templates and dropped them in one by one. They don't end up listed next to one another. Very wierd.

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 5:32 PM In reply to

One suggestion:  Create a new column called "number" - number them in the order you want them and then sort by that column.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 7:45 PM In reply to

• ericzlot
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 125

nope. that doesn't seem to work either. maybe it's just not possible

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller