Latest post Wed, Mar 26 2008 7:55 PM by rustybucket. 45 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 26 2008 12:52 PM In reply to

Re: Xpress Pro 5.7 + GL2 = loss of hair....

Ok, I have a G4 macbook that's running Leopard.  Just for the hell of it I installed Avid on it.  Whadda ya know?  Everything works fine... EXCEPT!!!!!  Capturing from my GL2 Super Angry.  I can import clips, I can edit clips....  I can export sequences....  Everything 'seems' to be running nicely.  Except of course.... capturing from my mini Dv Camera.....  I thought Avid wasn't supposed to work on Leopard?

Also, update on the G5 I've been trying to get avid to work on.  Late yesterday afternoon Avid would no longer open.....  So, I tried re-installing Avid.  Same thing, wouldn't open, wouldn't even respond to clicking the icon.  So this morning I re-installed OSX, and am about to re-install Avid. 

I'm open to ANY ideas, suggestions...etc.

The laptop running Leopard didn't receive any errors, it simply acted like it couldn't find the playhead of the clip.  Just kept cycling back and forth over it.  I tried a digitize without in/out points and it worked like a charm.  So I guess I could digitize every tape straight through and then go through and sub-clip them out post-digitize.  Seems like a waste of hard drive space, but that's really the least of my concerns at this moment.

So, on the G5 I'll now be running OSx 10.4.6 and Quicktime 7.0 and Avid.  That's all.... No other programs on this partition, strictly for Avid.

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 12:56 PM In reply to

rustybucket:
    So I guess I could digitize every tape straight through and then go through and sub-clip them out post-digitize.  Seems like a waste of hard drive space, but that's really the least of my concerns at this moment.

Sub-clips that you create are just pointer files...they point back to the master clip's associated media file, so you need not worry at all about additional occupied space on your media drive.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 1:03 PM In reply to

Yeah, I realize that, my point was that in a scenario that I digitize an entire tape and only sub-clip a couple of minutes of it.  If I was able to log, I would have simply logged the couple of minutes of the tape and digitized that, taking up very little hard drive space.  However in my current situation (can't log tapes) I'll have to digitize virtually the entire tape for a few minutes of usable footage.

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 1:06 PM In reply to

Unless you use the "capture on the fly" technique, and grab only what you need.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 1:08 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

I'm really sorry that you haven't gotten that GL2 to work for you. Did the list of compatible projects/formats that Avid was supposed to send to you help at all?

As for Leopard. It's not that it doesn't work, 10.5.2 when a long way to making that possible but that it is not supported. I ran 2.8.x on Leopard for a long time and it worked great.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 1:26 PM In reply to

Did the list of compatible projects/formats that Avid was supposed to send to you help at all?

I did receive the pdf....  and honestly I found it completely and utterly worthless.  According to it, the ONLY Canon camera that's been tested and is supported is the XL H1.

I can't even begin to explain how stupified I am by this..?!?!?!?!

When I quesitoned them about this, they advised me that I should capture with one of the formats listed.... All formats listed were HD. 1080i

So, from the mouth of the Avid Gods, if I'm not shooting in HD, I can't use my Avid System??..... GREAT!

Really nice that they didn't mention ANYTHING about this in any of their sales materials or promo items.  I just don't see how you can call youself an 'industry leader' when your program doesn't even support the most popular prosumer camera on the market.  By God!  Windows Movie Maker has better camera support!!!!!

Sorry guys, just had to vent a little...... I'm not giving up yet, it's just that this is now day three of 100% of my focus being devoted to getting video from my camera, to my computer.......  I'm sure some of you can understand my frustration with this, not only is this project on the line, but so is my JOB!

Thanks Avid

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 2:50 PM In reply to

BLDDOG -->  Could you tell me what OS you are using?  Also, which Quicktime Version?  And once again, I thank you for all your patience and help with this!!  Smile

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 2:53 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

The system I tested on was on 10.4.11 and QT 7.3.1. It was just a quick one-off grab so I'm thinking that, if I had to batch capture and entire tape, I may have run into your level of problems eventually.

It boggles my mind that this camera still doesn't work. I would have though this was fixed a long time ago. Let me check to see how it fares in the next release and I'll get back to you.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 3:28 PM In reply to

Anybody have a recommendation for an el-Cheapo mini Dv Deck that would work with Avid?

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 3:34 PM In reply to

How about a recommendation for a video card?

Currently running ATI Radeon 9600 XT

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 3:46 PM In reply to

rustybucket:
    How about a recommendation for a video card?

Hi,

There's a list of cards that are tested and approved by Avid on the System Specifications page.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realize you were on a Mac.  Never mind.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 4:10 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

I go with an NVIDEA card for display and the DSR series from sony are all good playback decks. We have the 1500 here.

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 5:09 PM In reply to

• Puddy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 151
    • Points 1,905

rustybucket:

Anybody have a recommendation for an el-Cheapo mini Dv Deck that would work with Avid?

Sony GV-HD700, it's a portable sony deck with an LCD. Bought one when it came out and use it all the time, more than I anticipated. I find I love it.

In the UK it retails for around 940 UK Sterling (pounds) including tax. And is just about the cheapest deck you can get, although there are some nice JVC ones around that are a bit cheaper and I think has a DVD burner and hard disk built into one unit.

Go a just a little higher on your budget and there is an entry level Panasonic one that's nice too.

The GL2 is the NTSC version of the XM2 I believe. The XM2 for me has never worked well with the TC button activated during capture and doesn't behave well under remote control by the Avid. Exporting back to tape has always been a crash record if using the XM2.

But capturing tapes for your GL2 in one straight run may save some wear on it as once you've got it captured you can now shuttle back and forth in non-linear.

Hope that helps.

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 7:40 PM In reply to

Response (Avid Employee's Name) 03/26/2008 01:31 PM
    Hello Mr.XXXX

Those are formats supported by Avid for Canon.
    You can try with other formats but we can not guarantee it works.

Best Regards,
    Avid Support
     Customer (XXXXXXXX) 03/26/2008 09:32 AM
    All of the formats listed in the pdf are HD formats..... So you are saying that if I'm not shooting in HD I cannot use Avid????

This is Avid's response (top) to my question (bottom).

So.... I guess if you want to edit on Avid, and you use Canon cameras, you better have the 1 HD Camera Avid supports.

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 7:50 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

well, that's not true, at all.

You just can't  use that cam a s a deck is all.

Page 3 of 4 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller