Latest post Tue, Jun 16 2015 8:56 PM by chuckkahn. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 20 2008 4:10 PM

• adam5000
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 643
    • Points 8,525

Audio Waveforms in Timeline

This is a small thing but it can be a big thing too. When you load a timeline and then choose to see the sample plot or waveforms (via the timeline menu or saved keyboard key assign) it's takes as long as it takes to load them, which is often quite long. Alright, it's never been quick but I guess that's as good as they can do, since it's been this way for many years. Now stay with me here, this will take a bit to explain but what I'd like to see made possible is that after you load the waveforms for a given timeline, if you now load a different timeline and you do NOT want see the waveforms for that timeline, you should be able to just stop the loading by pressing the key that you have assigned to turn waveforms on/off. What currently happens is you can't stop the waveform loading until it's done. And here's where it's a small thing and a big thing. If it's a small simple timeline, it's no big deal BUT if it's a long complex timeline, it IS a big deal and a lengthy process to wait for the waveforms to write. I guess what I'm looking for to avoid all this waiting is a default way to have the timeline reset the waveform writing on/off after each timeline loading. OR just make the waveforms load in 2 seconds no matter what the timeline info is, and that seems unlikely to happen since it's been this way for years and years.
    MC Version 8.4.4 Mac OS 10.10.5 IMac 27" 3.2 Ghz i5 16gb RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 20 2008 4:12 PM In reply to

Re: Audio Waveforms in Timeline

Hi,

Although this may not totally solve your issue, you can turn off audio waveforms while they're being drawn by pressing CTRL+.  (that's CTRL plus the period key).

EDIT: Actually, that doesn't turn the waveforms off, it just stops the drawing process, at which point you could press whatever key you've assigned audio waveforms to.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 7:42 PM In reply to

• adam5000
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 643
    • Points 8,525

Thanks Carl. That does help somewhat on the loading end of things but, I'd still like to not have to remember to turn viewing waveforms on/off before loading the sequence.
    MC Version 8.4.4 Mac OS 10.10.5 IMac 27" 3.2 Ghz i5 16gb RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 16 2015 8:56 PM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 390
    • Points 4,260

camoscato:

Hi,

Although this may not totally solve your issue, you can turn off audio waveforms while they're being drawn by pressing CTRL+.  (that's CTRL plus the period key).

EDIT: Actually, that doesn't turn the waveforms off, it just stops the drawing process, at which point you could press whatever key you've assigned audio waveforms to.

good luck,
    Carl

What do you press on a Mac?  Neither CTRL+. nor CMD+. is working.  AMC 6.0.5.1

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.8 / MacOS High Sierra / iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) / 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 / 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller