Latest post Wed, Mar 19 2008 9:32 PM by camoscato. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 19 2008 7:46 PM

• PB320
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 17 2008
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Difference in Xpress Pro versions?

Greetings, all!   I've been lurking for a while, but felt the need to register and post.  My company has two Xpress Pro machines.   One is running version 5.2.7.   The other is running 5.6.4.   Since I know very little about upgrading these beasts (I'm just an editor)  is this a problem?  The 5.6.4 machine is very buggy (chipmunk audio on timeline is rampant).  The 5.2.7 machine has been here longer, but works okay (just okay, but not great!)    Should we get them both on the same version of the software?  Or should I just make my case to upgrade to MC and be done with it? Thanks for reading my newbie rant.  

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 8:48 PM In reply to

• Leo153
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 1 2007
    • Lenox, MA
    • Posts 412
    • Points 5,135

Re: Difference in Xpress Pro versions?

Not only would I recommend you get the same versions, I'd consider the same certified machine types such as HP 8400 or PowerMac... This will be helpful when you need to trouble shoot, not to mention less down time due to PC problems and faster edit sessions. Additionally, with the Avid Media Composer upgrade offer- if budget allows, yes I would make the upgrade to Composer. $$$ was the only reason I never got MC until now. With the exception of financial reasons I can't think of a reason not too.

I'm lucky enough to be able to troubleshoot most problems with my system (and there have been plenty of problems) with the help of this forum and a lot of study. Try to get the "powers that be" to free up some change to get you into a technical training class. This will help make your job easier!

Just my opinion!

Leo

MC 2018.12, BCC 10, Nvidia Quadro K4200,ver.340.84, QT 7.7.4, HP Z840 3.06 12 core, 32 Gig RAM, G-Tech G-Speed eS, 12 TB RAID5, GTech Studio 6TB Thunderbolt... [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 8:51 PM In reply to

PB320:
    Or should I just make my case to upgrade to MC and be done with it?

Hi,

Welcome!  I'd make the case to upgrade to MC, because then you get them both on the same version, and you get to upgrade to MC with the sweet new pricing.  Two birds with one stone, and way cheaper than you could have done it last week.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 9:23 PM In reply to

• PB320
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 17 2008
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Thanks, Carl.  I talked with one engineer, and she told me that the 5.2.7 machine was supposed to be upgraded, but "they didn't have the time because it was being used so much."  Huh?  Can you or others help me build my case to upgrade to MC?   The "chipmunk audio" problem on our newer machine is nothing short of aggrivating.   Would the upgrade help get rid of this problem?  Any info I can get my hands on will help tremendously.  Unfortunately, any purchases have to be approved by a whole lot of people, and then actually installed by IT. 

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 9:32 PM In reply to

Hi,

A long time ago I edited for the US government, so I sympathize with the need to get way too many people on board before you get to buy something.  Here's a link to a list of things you get with Media Composer.  Hopefully that'll help convince people.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller