Latest post Fri, Mar 21 2008 11:49 PM by camoscato. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 19 2008 2:52 PM

• joelrmorgan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Gresham, Oregon
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,885

So, since I paid for an upgrade I could never use...

Locked Contact

...what are the chances of being able to apply that $85 to the upgrade to MC?  Seems fair to me.

(I was unable to use any version above 5.2 as those newer versions would not allow me to capture audio, which is a problem that was promised to be fixed.)

- Dell Precision 670 - Dual Xeon processors (2.8) - 4 gigs of Ram - nVidia 1400 (driver 7.7.1.8) - Creative SB X-Fi sound card - 120 Gig boot hard... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 19 2008 3:27 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: So, since I paid for an upgrade I could never use...

Locked Contact

If you upgraded to MC from 'Pro after Jan1st, you are eligible for a rebate for the upgrade price. Check with your reseller or Avid for details.

If you just upgraded your version of 'Pro, then the above does not apply.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 4:04 PM In reply to

• joelrmorgan
    • Not Ranked
    • Gresham, Oregon
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,885

Locked Contact

You don't understand.  I'm showing my resentment! Big Smile I purchased the upgrade from 5.2 for $85 sometime in 2005.  I was never able to use it, but was always promised that a fix was in the works.  And so I waited as patiently has I could.  Well, assuming that MC works correctly, I'll spend $495 for that and still be out my $85 that paid for nothing.

- Dell Precision 670 - Dual Xeon processors (2.8) - 4 gigs of Ram - nVidia 1400 (driver 7.7.1.8) - Creative SB X-Fi sound card - 120 Gig boot hard... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 19 2008 4:07 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

Locked Contact

Yup, no one promised you that any fix would be in the 5.8 release. If you thought it was, you should have asked. However, $85 bucks for a software update is practically free in today's market so I don't think I would be complaining too loudly.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 5:33 PM In reply to

• joelrmorgan
    • Not Ranked
    • Gresham, Oregon
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,885

Locked Contact

Yeah, just $85.  And $85 for a software upgrade is practically nothing, but that's exactly what I got...  Nothing.  I really don't like digging a hole and throwing my money in it no matter how much.  I got NOTHING for my $85 but aggravation.   Sure, no promises were made, but there were assurances from Marianne.

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 5:38 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

Locked Contact

No, Marianna never said anything about x.8 solving the audio pass through problem. In fact I posted, several times, here that the upgrade did NOT address this problem. Avid is trying to fix it but it has not yet been added to an update.

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 7:30 PM In reply to

• JohnnyReboot
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 771
    • Points 9,415

Locked Contact

So are you saying that the audio pass through problem still is not fixed in MC?

All the years long subtle hints that "Avid was working on it" now seem more like a string along ploy to keep us hooked to a terminal piece of software, AXP, that never fixed a lot of things.

Media Composer v3.5.9.15-HP xw8000-TYAN Mobo S2663-Dual 2.8 Xeons-Windows XP Pro SP3-Hyperthreading On-3G RAM-Executed Install3GB.bat-Page File Initial... [view my complete system specs]

That's right...an xw8000.

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 7:32 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

Locked Contact

It was not fully nailed down until after 5.8 was already in the pipeline. I fully expect it to be fixed in the next major release but we will have to wait and see.

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 7:39 PM In reply to

• JohnnyReboot
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 771
    • Points 9,415

Locked Contact

Thank you.

Media Composer v3.5.9.15-HP xw8000-TYAN Mobo S2663-Dual 2.8 Xeons-Windows XP Pro SP3-Hyperthreading On-3G RAM-Executed Install3GB.bat-Page File Initial... [view my complete system specs]

That's right...an xw8000.

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 8:05 PM In reply to

• clockhart
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Columbus, OH
    • Posts 258
    • Points 3,130

Locked Contact

Someone else is having the same problem see thread  Media Composer is built on the same code, so unless there is an update this likely will not solve your problem.  I had the same problem with the Sony DSR-11.  A $30 Audigy sound card fixed it.  Your milage may vary.

Chris

Avid Xpress Pro HD 5.7 Dell Precision 390 Core2Duo 2 Gigs Ram Quadro FX 3450 120 Gig Boot 300 Gig Media Drive 200 Gig Media Drive - External ; Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 19 2008 10:57 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,420
    • Points 97,425

Locked Contact

In any case, Avid always post a list of bug fixes and enhancements in the release "read me" prior to releasing an upgrade.  If you didn't see your bug fix in the read me, you shouldn't have bought the upgrade.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 20 2008 12:21 AM In reply to

• joelrmorgan
    • Not Ranked
    • Gresham, Oregon
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,885

Locked Contact

I'm not stupid.  Nor were the many others that paid for the upgrade and weren't able to use it.  I (and others) discovered the bug when we bought the upgrade from 5.2 to whavever the next upgrade was (5.3?).   There was nothing in the 5.3 readme that said there was a new audio issue that would prevent it from working on many systems.  And, if the MC readme doesn't tell me that the Xpress Pro bug will not be an issue, I'm certainly not going to get ripped off again.

Though 5.3 never worked for us (and despite what BLKDOG says) I believe that all of us that have had to deal with this issue were given the impression that the bug was being worked on and a solution was in the works.  (I'd prove that, but all those original posts now seem to be gone.)  Apparently not.  Yeah, it only cost me 85 bucks, but I got nothing for that 85 bucks.

BLKDOG, I respect you and your vast knowledge, and greatly appreciate what you contribute to this forum, but you have to understand the issue. 

(By the way, I investigated, and the $30 Audigy card would not have solved the problem.  Clockhart, that was a different issue.)

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 12:30 AM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

Locked Contact

I understand perfectly I've owned multiple Avid systems since 1990. One thing I know how to do is to check for fixed problems before I upgrade. You jumped too soon is all. Didn't do your research.

I have been keeping on top of this particular problem since the day it was discovered and I can tell you exactly when Avid told you it was to be fixed 'cause I posted it. Never was it even suggested that this fix would be in x.8. In fact i posted, several times, that it would not. It was never in the Read Me files that are released before the software and I can't find a post from you that even asks the question. You can't just assume an update means your particular problem is fixed.

Now, a release is coming up but I can't even tell you if this problem has been included in the fixes because the list is not yet out. When it is, I will post what is fixed for you guys.

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 6:05 AM In reply to

• joelrmorgan
    • Not Ranked
    • Gresham, Oregon
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,885

Locked Contact

You didn't read my post above, did you?  We are the ones that discovered this bug AFTER we bought the upgrade that included the bug in the first place.  There was NO research to do, and, as I said, there certainly wasn't a README that said that many of us would not be able to use the new upgrade we purchased because it was newly flawed..  The bug was initially in the upgrade we purchased.  There was NO way to know this when we purchased the upgrade.  Read my posts if you actually have access to them.  I don't anymore.

You are also wrong about the logical assumptions we ALL made about a fix to this problem,  I received personal emails in 2005 from Mariana that said that the problem was being looked into and that they would do all they could to resolve the problem.  x.8?  I was under the assumption that this major problem would be resolved in 5.35!  And I was patient until this week (more than two YEARS later) when it became obvious that this new "dedication to the user" crap applied to only the people (I assume) that fork out $495 for an upgrade.  Unfortunately, posts that I have made here that reference her assurances have been deleted. 

BLKDOG, take a long look at this from our side before you condemn me, please.

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 9:09 AM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

Locked Contact

just a few observations:

1- Joel it does indeed suck something broke what used to work. Have no clue on the status for you but will investigate.

2- There are no posts being "deleted" here.. you just are not able to find them which is something else.

3- there was a sort of workaround as i know for the DSR-11 (etc) used as transcoder sistuations where by actualy recording on the deck sound comes in... (when the deck was in record mode even only used as transcoder) that might have releaved strain on this problem. Unfortunatly this workoraund is not available for all (especially those with a transcoder and not a deck).

Menno

35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller