Latest post Thu, Mar 20 2008 1:44 PM by clockhart. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 19 2008 2:33 PM

How to upgrade dongle?

Can someone tell me in step by step - how to upgrade my dongle.

I've just purchsed the upgrade to 5.8 now Xpress Pro won't run. I was given a 25 character key that searching on the net makes me think this is for the dongle upgrad - I've also found reference to dongle upgrades at avid.com.

Why does it have to be so bloody complicated to use this software?

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 2:37 PM In reply to

Re: How to upgrade dongle?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 3:49 PM In reply to

It seems like this is meant to be some closely guarded secret!

What a complete run around...!

For anyone else forced into this nightmare I will respond to my own question and hope that helps.

When purchasing an upgrade`you'll be given a 25 character key. NO ONE will tell you this is for the dongle.

Also what no one wants you to know is that there is also a program called DongleManager.exe buried away in the programfiles/avid/utils directory. Load that and browse to the file you saved with the key. This upgrades the dongle.

Then all your problems will start because maybe like me you'll find that the latest version of Avid won't work on the same computer you happily used the previous one on!

I haven't tried reinstalling my original version as I'm expecting the dongle to be invalid with that now it's upgraded - and as that was the original version I don't have a key file to revert the dongle.

I've found this whole process a complete sham!

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 4:20 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,650

So I assume, then, that you didn't go to the link I gave you?

This one.

Or read my reply in this thread? 

Updating your dongle was laid out for you.  I will agree that there should be a section of the ReadMe that points you to the Knowlege Base dongle updating thread, but otherwise--no one was trying to keep secrets from you.  We gave you all the info you needed.

Michael.

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 4:26 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Between the email you received after paying the upgrade and the FAQs on this forum, coupled with the links you were provided the first time you asked this question, if you still couldn't figure it out, you're not really trying.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 5:11 PM In reply to

Yes - Butcher's reply was a good one - but is actually no longer correct the dongle upgrading has all changed and I believe that reply refers to the old method.

Also the link supplied is to a dead (or missing) page

As for not trying - I guess you are trying  - to wind me up!

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 5:23 PM In reply to

• Blue Crow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 23 2006
    • London
    • Posts 498
    • Points 5,945

Anyone upgraded one to MC soft yet ?

I'm hopefully getting a new 4.0 in April. [view my complete system specs]

If this job was easy it wouldn't be any fun.

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 5:27 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,650

Lastindependent:
    Also the link supplied is to a dead (or missing) page

Link works fine for me, and since I found it in the Knowlege base I assumed it was accurate.

If you find another link with the new procedure, post it please.

Michael.

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 5:27 PM In reply to

Apologies if my frustration come across in the previous posts.

I wanted to use AVID to work in HD but it is not suitable - I now have a AVID system that won't load just because I paid £30 for an upgrade!

The upgrade procedure is like something from a comic book.

The support is not available - you can't phone or speak to anyone. Now I see that Express is being discontinued anyway for MC - Media Composer.

I think I'm allowed a little moan! It wasn't directed to anyone on here - especially Butcher who has been most helpful!

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 5:29 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Independent...

What I Menat was, between all the sources that have been offered to you, you have ALL the information about how to upgrade a dongle. Old or not.

Now, let's make this easy. You should have received an email walking you through the process. you can also go here to find out all you need to know. Between all of the info you've been given, you should be able to easily upgrade.

1. Go to Avid.com/register.

2. enter your info along with your upgrade key.

3. Receive an email from Avid with a .avd file

4. Go to Avid.com/dongle and download the dongle manager app

3. Use the .avd file witht he Dongle manager to update your dongle

...and yer done.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 6:07 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,650

Lastindependent:
    especially Butcher who has been most helpful!

Please don't think I was being disparaging or rude.  I just found the link to dongle updates--I haven't updated a dongle in a while, so I didn't know how much it had changed, and the link worked fine for me, which is why I didn't understand reposting the question.

Hopefully you've been able to update your dongle and can continue using Avid.  While I'll agree it's not the most intuitive procedure in the world, the other option is to get rid of the dongles--which means you can only install the software on one machine.  That wouldn't be cool.

If you get the chance, definitely upgrade to Media Composer--especially now that you're sorted through your dongle updating dilemma.  Smile  Media Composer is a great piece of software.

Michael.

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 7:23 PM In reply to

I just got my AXP->MC dongle updater through email. Upgraded the dongle in less than 10 seconds, following the supplied instructions. 30 seconds later, I was working in MC (the MC 2.8 software had already installed on the system). I saw no 25 character key, just an .avd file, which I was instructed to open in DongleManager.exe (but I chose DongleManager.app since I was on Mac).

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 19 2008 8:42 PM In reply to

• clockhart
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Columbus, OH
    • Posts 258
    • Points 3,130

One thing that is confusing, is there is no Xpress Pro 5.8 option on the upgrade page, just 5.6 and 5.7.  I recently upgraded.  The new procedure is different from the old.  Avid had to email me the correct file.  I do not remeber how I got in touch with them, it was a month ago.

Job ter Burg, do you know if the updated dongle will still run the AXP software?

Chris

Avid Xpress Pro HD 5.7 Dell Precision 390 Core2Duo 2 Gigs Ram Quadro FX 3450 120 Gig Boot 300 Gig Media Drive 200 Gig Media Drive - External ; Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 19 2008 9:13 PM In reply to

I'm on a Mac Powerbook, and have both AXP and MC installed (I used to swap dongles with one of my studio machines). Tonight I upgraded the dongle to MC, and I just tested that AXP 5.8 also still launches just fine.

I have a double install on one of my HP 8400 machines as well, and I do recall launching XpressPro with the MC dongle attached once.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 20 2008 1:44 PM In reply to

• clockhart
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Columbus, OH
    • Posts 258
    • Points 3,130

Thanks.  I have an old laptop I would like to keep running AXP 4.6 on.

Chris

Avid Xpress Pro HD 5.7 Dell Precision 390 Core2Duo 2 Gigs Ram Quadro FX 3450 120 Gig Boot 300 Gig Media Drive 200 Gig Media Drive - External ; Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller