Latest post Wed, Mar 19 2008 6:56 PM by camoscato. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 17 2008 3:36 PM

• catsmeow
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 17 2008
    • Posts 7
    • Points 105

Cannot launch Avid after deck plugged in

I'm using a Canon DV Camcorder as a temporary deck - when I plug it in, Avid will freeze when opening, and sometimes, for a bonus, A Delayed Write Error will popup and my external firewire drive will appear to have been emptied...but just long enough to give me a panic attack.  To get Avid to launch with the camera plugged in usually requires restarting, which, with the state my pc is in, is a 20 minute process.  I know a lot of people would suggest getting a new PC, but getting a new PC is something I've been doing since my first PC.

I've been experiencing a number of new issues with my system, even though nothing has changed.  Same operating system (xp), same hardware, same everything.  It's as if windows has stopped agreeing with avid

Avid Xpress DV 3.5 on Windows XP ; 2.66 GHZ; 512MB RAM
  • Wed, Mar 19 2008 6:40 PM In reply to

Re: Cannot launch Avid after deck plugged in

catsmeow:
    I've been experiencing a number of new issues with my system, even though nothing has changed.  Same operating system (xp), same hardware, same everything.  It's as if windows has stopped agreeing with avid

Hi,

Have there been any automatic updates to anything on the system?  Have you installed anything small like a webcam or a printer? (I know you said "same everything" but sometimes people overlook small things.)

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 6:50 PM In reply to

• catsmeow
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 17 2008
    • Posts 7
    • Points 105

Printer yes, webcam no.  But I believe this problem began before I installed the printer.  I can't think of anything else, unless it was a windows update.

Avid Xpress DV 3.5 on Windows XP ; 2.66 GHZ; 512MB RAM
  • Wed, Mar 19 2008 6:56 PM In reply to

Hi,

I know it sounds stupid, but I've seen posts from people who had problems after installing printers.  Something about the printer software running in the background all the time and hogging system resources.  I'd try uninstalling the printer and see how things go.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller