Latest post Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:13 PM by camoscato. 23 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 22 2008 6:53 PM In reply to

• Gothboy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 28 2007
    • Lunenburg, Ma.
    • Posts 61
    • Points 835

Re: Can't write project to DVD

camoscato:
    How about a Quicktime update?  I think with FreeDV you're not supposed to go any higher than Quicktime 6.5.2.

Carl,

I already have QT 6.5.2 installed.  Can't go any higher than that.  I reinstalled Avid Free 1.6.1 on this machine.  I was running the 1.3 version but no real change in issues.  What I'm getting now are "serious issues" alerts when I do things like install software.  The reports coming back from Microsoft are pointing to driver conflicts, and figuring out which driver is causing the issue is like trying to find a needle in a bloody haystack....but it could just as well be a problem with the program.

Apple 1.4Ghz. dual processor G4 with 1.25 GB RAM. Digi 001 with Pro Tools 6.4 and 5.1.1 Hp Media center pc 873n with Intel Pentium 4, 2.53GHz with Creative... [view my complete system specs]
    hp media center pc 873n Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.53 Ghz. 1 GB RAM Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy card NVIDIA GeForce4 MX420 graphics card Nec Aspera Terrent
  • Sat, Mar 22 2008 7:20 PM In reply to

Gothboy:
    What I'm getting now are "serious issues" alerts when I do things like install software.  The reports coming back from Microsoft are pointing to driver conflicts

Hi,

All of this leads me to believe it's a Windows problem.  Can you see if there was an automatic Windows update around the same time as the playback problems started?

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Mar 24 2008 12:47 PM In reply to

• Gothboy
    • Not Ranked
    • Lunenburg, Ma.
    • Posts 61
    • Points 835

Well, I'm glad the board is back up today!Smile  Some good news....I've managed to get the program running properly again(well, mostly....Confused)  I did a system restore to 2 weeks ago, re-installed 1.6.1 and QT 6.5.2 and now I can play the projects and what's on the timeline without major problems and audio glitch.  However.......I can't export QT movies now as I get this error:

Exception: Movie export from procedures FAILED!, errcode: -8961

.....and can't get around it.

Apple 1.4Ghz. dual processor G4 with 1.25 GB RAM. Digi 001 with Pro Tools 6.4 and 5.1.1 Hp Media center pc 873n with Intel Pentium 4, 2.53GHz with Creative... [view my complete system specs]
    hp media center pc 873n Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.53 Ghz. 1 GB RAM Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy card NVIDIA GeForce4 MX420 graphics card Nec Aspera Terrent
  • Mon, Mar 24 2008 3:03 PM In reply to

Gothboy:
    I can't export QT movies now as I get this error:  Exception: Movie export from procedures FAILED!, errcode: -8961

Hi,

I got these results from a knowledge base search for "errcode", which would lead me to believe that it's something to do with the export settings you're using.

What format is your project, and what are your specific export settings?

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Mon, Mar 24 2008 5:51 PM In reply to

• Gothboy
    • Not Ranked
    • Lunenburg, Ma.
    • Posts 61
    • Points 835

Export settings:

Export As: QuickTime Movie

Format Options:Custom>DV/DVCPRO Compressor Quality:Medium interlaced 4:3 720x486 letterbox.

Audio:Uncompressed 48K sample size 16 2 channels

Width x Height: 720x486

RGB Even

4:3 square pixel 

• Mon, Mar 24 2008 5:54 PM In reply to

Hi,

Can you change the width and height to 720x480?  One of the things in the KB article had to do with frame size problems, and DV is 720x480 rather than 720x486.  Try that and see what happens.

good luck,
    Carl

• Mon, Mar 24 2008 6:31 PM In reply to

• drdimento
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Southern OH & Western PA
    • Posts 185
    • Points 2,690

Gothboy, just so you know most anything you're trying to do like this can be done in Pinnacle Studio 11 (an Avid company) and the Ultimate Edition at Best Buy is $130 and it handles most all the HD formats.  One fabulous product for a song, although not free like Avid Free DV.

Even with Avid Liquid, Xpress Pro (on our clients machine), Premier Pro CS3, and Edius Broadcast, we still have a "latest" edition of Studio just because it has to be the simplest editor on the market and is has the largest number of editing seats in the world.  Why with all we have would we use Studio?  Simple.  That's a one word answer.  I can have a secretary work it and has when we have been really busy when we had her make a commercial with a client and she did a really neat job with little "show me" training.  She just looked at the tabs on the side and followed the simple instructional book we have.

Just a thought :o)

EQPT - MacPro, 3.7 GHz Xeon E5, 16 GB ram, 512GB SSD, MacBook Pro Retina 2.7GHz i7, 512GB SSD, 16 GB ram EDIT - FCPX, Toast 11 Pro Titanium, DVD Studio... [view my complete system specs]

"What, me worry?"  Alfred E. Neuman

• Tue, Mar 25 2008 3:47 PM In reply to

• Gothboy
    • Not Ranked
    • Lunenburg, Ma.
    • Posts 61
    • Points 835

camoscato:
    Can you change the width and height to 720x480?  One of the things in the KB article had to do with frame size problems, and DV is 720x480 rather than 720x486.

I didn't have a chance to do this, but I did manage to export another QT file from the project.  It took about 12 hours, but the computer didn't crash or anything so that's good.  I looked at it today in the QT player in the smallest size possible and it looks fine, with audio and video in sync but the computer WAS having difficulty playing the file and it started sputtering after about 30seconds in....so I started play again and this time it IMMEDIATELY sputtered....so it seems to me that this is pointing to a system difficulty with the computer playing this large file.  I'm either going to encode it again using SUPER or seeing if I can find some other free software to write it to disc.

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:13 PM In reply to

Gothboy:
    the computer WAS having difficulty playing the file and it started sputtering after about 30seconds in

Hi,

With a big file, this isn't always a bad thing, as it doesn't matter how QT plays the file, because QT isn't your goal.  If you can get something to convert it to MPEG2 and write it to DVD and it looks good, that's all that matters.

In the future, I'd suggest exporting small portions of your timelines and burning them to DVDRW to test them out before possibly wasting lots of export time and blank DVDs.

good luck,
    Carl

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller