Latest post Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:13 PM by camoscato. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 16 2008 3:32 PM

• Gothboy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 28 2007
    • Lunenburg, Ma.
    • Posts 61
    • Points 835

Can't write project to DVD

I'm at this last stage of this thing and like all the other stages it seems, I'm having problems.Confused I've exported a QT movie out of Avid free DV...it's about an hour and 20 minuts long.  Then, I ran the codec conversion with SUPER which takes forever to do....an overnight process where you have to basicly set it before going to bed.  I'm using Sonic RecordNow 6.5.1 and Sonic MyDVD version 3.0 to do this.

When I try to use Sonic RecordNow to just write the converted file directly to disc I get this error:

"Could not complete the last command because: Unknown error (DVDErr, -19016)"

I also tried to just write the Avid QT export directly to disc but I get the same error.  It's just baffling, me.

The general properties section of this file says it's 1.53GB so it should fit fine on a 4.75GB DVD but what is REALLY odd is in the audio portion of the video file preferences it says the audio is 16 hours long.  I don't know why this is!?

Artist:
    Title:
    Album:
    Track:
    Disc:
    Genre:
    Year:
    Rating:
    Composer:
    Size: 1.53 GB  (14% of original, 6 to 1 compression)
    Original Size: 10.52 GB
    Length: 16 hours 20 minutes
    Channels: 2  (stereo)
    Sample Rate: 48 KHz;
    Sample Size: 16 bit
    Bit Rate: 224 kbps
    Encoder: FHG (Guess)
    Encoder Settings: Constant Bit Rate 224 kbps
    Audio Quality: Medium  (Lossy)
    Play Count:
    Last Played:
    Contains:
    Channel Mapping: Left, Right
    File: Dicks band.mov
    Type: MPEG Video    [.MPG]

What is the problem with this file? 

Apple 1.4Ghz. dual processor G4 with 1.25 GB RAM. Digi 001 with Pro Tools 6.4 and 5.1.1 Hp Media center pc 873n with Intel Pentium 4, 2.53GHz with Creative... [view my complete system specs]
    hp media center pc 873n Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.53 Ghz. 1 GB RAM Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy card NVIDIA GeForce4 MX420 graphics card Nec Aspera Terrent
  • Wed, Mar 19 2008 1:23 PM In reply to

Re: Can't write project to DVD

Gothboy:
    I'm at this last stage of this thing and like all the other stages it seems, I'm having problems.  I've exported a QT movie out of Avid free DV... When I try to use Sonic RecordNow to just write the converted file directly to disc I get this error:

I also tried to just write the Avid QT export directly to disc but I get the same error.  It's just baffling, me.

Hi,

What about taking the exported QT directly into MyDVD and letting MyDVD do the file conversion to MPEG2?  If I were in your shoes, I'd try it with a small section of the movie as a test so you don't have to wait overnight to find out if it worked.

good luck,
    Carl

p.s. I'm not sure if your last sentence about writing directly to disk meant you tried it with MyDVD or RecordNow.  If you've already tried it with MyDVD, ignore this idea and let us know so we can think of other stuff to try.

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 2:25 PM In reply to

• Gothboy
    • Not Ranked
    • Lunenburg, Ma.
    • Posts 61
    • Points 835

Carl,

Hey, thanks for checking in on this post.  Your feedback is always very helpful.  When I try to take the exported QT directly into MyDVD I get the error alert:

I also get this error alert whn I try to take the supposedly converted Mpeg-ll file into MyDVD.  And now.....I have another problem ConfusedWhen I go into Avid free and just try to play the project I'm getting video stutter and audio glitching.  When I play the QT movie I exported the audio sounds fine but the video is slow and stutterey.  When I try to play the SUPER converted file with the windows player I get nothing....no video and no sound.  It seems like my computer is having trouble keeping up playing this video.  I did a hard drive purge to free up space and a system restore back to 2 days ago and still the same issue.  It seems to me that whatever Avid free exported as a QT has an error in it....and that error is keeping the codec converter from converting an adaquate file.  Other thn that I don't know what's wrong. 

Apple 1.4Ghz. dual processor G4 with 1.25 GB RAM. Digi 001 with Pro Tools 6.4 and 5.1.1 Hp Media center pc 873n with Intel Pentium 4, 2.53GHz with Creative... [view my complete system specs]
    hp media center pc 873n Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.53 Ghz. 1 GB RAM Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy card NVIDIA GeForce4 MX420 graphics card Nec Aspera Terrent
  • Wed, Mar 19 2008 4:19 PM In reply to

Gothboy:
    When I try to take the exported QT directly into MyDVD I get the error alert:  "Could not complete the last command because: Unknown error (DVDErr, -19016)"

Hi,

Well, there's definitely something wrong with the file, but I'm at a loss to say what, since the error message is so vague.  My only suggestions would be to try the file in another encoder like Sorensen or Procoder, or in a different authoring program if you have any of those available.  I know that's not much help.  You might get somewhere searching for that particular error, but you'll have to wade through a lot of Google responses and different forums.

Gothboy:
    When I go into Avid free and just try to play the project I'm getting video stutter and audio glitching.  When I play the QT movie I exported the audio sounds fine but the video is slow and stutterey.  When I try to play the SUPER converted file with the windows player I get nothing....no video and no sound.  It seems like my computer is having trouble keeping up playing this video.

I wouldn't worry too much about Quicktime not being able to play the file, because it's massive and you only have 1GB of RAM to play it with.  As for the converted file, do you have any DVD playing software you could try it with? 

Either way, I'd be more concerned about FreeDV suddenly not being able to play the project.  Has it always played well, and this is new?

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 8:57 PM In reply to

• Gothboy
    • Not Ranked
    • Lunenburg, Ma.
    • Posts 61
    • Points 835

Carl,

Something DEFINATELY wrong with Avid free DV here as when I open up the project, hitting the spacebar won't even start playback.  Mouse cursor is jerky and all over the place.....video plays soooo slow.  The converted file I made last night out of SUPER is a vob DVD compliant Mpeg-ll, but where I was getting decent video/audio playback of previous conversions I'm now getting nothing.....this thing is just such a disaster....I don't know what to do about it.  What's DVD playing software?

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 10:00 PM In reply to

Hi,

DVD playing software like InterVideo WinDVD or Cyberlink PowerDVD.  If you're having trouble with FreeDV and whatever else you use for playback, it sounds more like a system problem than an Avid problem.  How's the rest of the system running?

EDIT: Looking at your system specs, you may be running up against the limits of what you're able to accomplish.  Media Center isn't approved, and is probably eating up RAM, which wouldn't be a problem with a small project and small exported file, but an hour and 20 minute QT is probably a massive file, and you've only got 1GB to deal with it.  I'm not sure that's the problem, but it's probably not helping.

good luck,
    Carl

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 10:18 PM In reply to

• drdimento
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Southern OH & Western PA
    • Posts 185
    • Points 2,690

Just FYI we have had this same issue numerous times when we forget . . direct to disc is always an issue.  Always write an image then burn.  That is, never check the box quick copy to disc.

EQPT - MacPro, 3.7 GHz Xeon E5, 16 GB ram, 512GB SSD, MacBook Pro Retina 2.7GHz i7, 512GB SSD, 16 GB ram EDIT - FCPX, Toast 11 Pro Titanium, DVD Studio... [view my complete system specs]

"What, me worry?"  Alfred E. Neuman

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 12:51 AM In reply to

• Gothboy
    • Not Ranked
    • Lunenburg, Ma.
    • Posts 61
    • Points 835

drdimento:

when we forget . . direct to disc is always an issue.  Always write an image then burn.  That is, never check the box quick copy to disc.

Where and what is this direct to disk thing.  How does one "write an Image" and then burn? Where is this "quick copy to Disk" box?  Can you clarify these things a little bit more and give more explanation of what these things are?

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 1:50 AM In reply to

• drdimento
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Southern OH & Western PA
    • Posts 185
    • Points 2,690

Whoops.  Re-read the entire post you did instead of just buzzing through it and I stand corrected . . I was thinking the post was a bout Nero.

EQPT - MacPro, 3.7 GHz Xeon E5, 16 GB ram, 512GB SSD, MacBook Pro Retina 2.7GHz i7, 512GB SSD, 16 GB ram EDIT - FCPX, Toast 11 Pro Titanium, DVD Studio... [view my complete system specs]

"What, me worry?"  Alfred E. Neuman

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 1:59 PM In reply to

• Gothboy
    • Not Ranked
    • Lunenburg, Ma.
    • Posts 61
    • Points 835

Oh.....OK, we'll just disregard that and strike it from the record.  Now back to the issue.  This morning I got another idea to make a start to do some troubleshooting.  I took a 5 minute QT video and imported it into a new Avid free DV project.....still same issue:  The video and audio are slow and jerky and glitchy.  I can play video in the source monitor but I can't make the timeline play.  So that at least rules out the possibility of the problem just being with that one project.

I tried playing some sessions in an audio recording app. and while the sessions play there was a bit of real noticeable latency and glitching in the audio playback....so there's something wrong system wise.  I don't know what else to do though.

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 3:13 PM In reply to

Gothboy:
    I can play video in the source monitor but I can't make the timeline play.

Hi,

Just for grins, click on the composer window (the one with the source/record monitors) and press CTRL+' (the apostrophe key).  That's the "Home" command, and it puts the highlighted window where the system wants it to be for playback.  The only reason I think this might work is that you say video will play in the source window but not the record window (unless I read that wrong).

Otherwise, my next suggestion would be reloading Windows.

good luck,
    Carl

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 6:29 PM In reply to

• Gothboy
    • Not Ranked
    • Lunenburg, Ma.
    • Posts 61
    • Points 835

Well, it was a good suggestion, but still same problem.  Playing either the record or composer side of that window still produces same slow video and glitching.  Media center wasn't affecting things before(2 weeks ago) so I don't think it's that.  Maybe the hard drive is going....I don't know, but the Quicktime 6.5.2 player just played the Pink Floyd footage I have from Live8 flawlessly, sound perfect and everything. 

What do you mean by "reloading" windows.....re-installing the OS?

This machine has the OS restore on a partition of the OS system hard drive and being generally a mac person I never understood how to do that really. 

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 6:33 PM In reply to

Gothboy:
    Playing either the record or composer side of that window still produces same slow video and glitching.

Hi,

Sorry, I thought I'd missed something and it was just the source side rather than both sides.

Gothboy:
    Media center wasn't affecting things before(2 weeks ago) so I don't think it's that.

Anything change recently?  Automatic updates to anything?  New webcam or printer?

Gothboy:
    What do you mean by "reloading" windows.....re-installing the OS?  This machine has the OS restore on a partition of the OS system hard drive and being generally a mac person I never understood how to do that really. 

Yes, that's what I meant, but I only know how to do it if you have the disks.  I've never had to do it with the restore partition.  I'm sorry we're not getting anywhwere.

good luck,
    Carl

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 7:03 PM In reply to

• Gothboy
    • Not Ranked
    • Lunenburg, Ma.
    • Posts 61
    • Points 835

Automatic updates?  Well, yeah....windows is always doing that, which is one think I hate about windows as you never know what's being installed on your computer on a day to day basis.  What about reinstalling Avid free?  I'm going to run a defrag tonight.

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 7:30 PM In reply to

Gothboy:
    Automatic updates?  Well, yeah....

Hi,

How about a Quicktime update?  I think with FreeDV you're not supposed to go any higher than Quicktime 6.5.2.

Gothboy:
    What about reinstalling Avid free?

Can't hurt.  Make sure and back up your Avid Projects folder before you start.

good luck,
    Carl

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller