Latest post Sat, Mar 29 2008 6:10 PM by camoscato. 22 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 29 2008 8:25 AM In reply to

Re: How to export in good quality? (newb)

Thanks again for sticking with me on this one, yeah i've tried a whole range of the options you are referring to, which don't seem to help much, it still plays about twice as good in the composer window as when it's exported.

I've tried a host more combinations than this, but this seems to be one of the highest settings I can think of, if I am doing something wrong I haven't figured it out.

In Export Settings window:
    Custom is checked
    Video and Audio checked
    Width x Height (1920 x 1080) size to fit checked
    Color Levels (RGB)
    File Field Order (Odd)
    Display Aspect Ration (Native (1920 x 1080))

In Format Options from that window:
    In Settings from that window:

Compression Type (Avid DNxHD Codec)
    Frame Rate (Current)
    Depth (Millions of Colors)
    Colors Levels (709)
    Resolutions (1080t/59.94 DNxHD 220 10-bit)

Vista Avid 5.7 QT 7.1.3 Sony Vaio Laptop, 2gig ram, Intel duo 1.8 processor NVIDIA 8400 GeForceM GT External IEEE 1394 card [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 29 2008 8:35 AM In reply to

Those settings should give you a 1920x1080 QT in DNxHD 220 10b  codec, in the native framerate. Since the field order is specified, I reckon you have an interlaced source. If you open the QT in QT player, and hit CTRL-I, what framerate does it say the file is?

Are you sure that the quality issues you are experiencing are not simply because your system doesn't cannot keep up playing back such a heavy file? It will of course be easier for your computer to play back a file in DV or MPEG-2 then in DNxHD 220 (which requires quite a fast drive to begin with).

Also, note that watching interlaced footage on computer screens will usually look bad, and you might need to deinterlace if you need the file itself to look good on a progressive display.

What is your source footage? Are we talking high end HD or are we talking HDV? What are you trying to deliver to whom? Maybe the 220x codec is way overkill (e.g. when you're starting from HDV), and you could try a less heavy export.

I could not see any of your system specs, BTW, which could be helpful here.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 29 2008 9:04 AM In reply to

He is running Vista!

MC 7.0 Symphony 7.0 Win 7 64bit 1 x XW 8600 quad 16gig ram 480gig SSD FX 5400 4 1tb 32 mb cache drives Pro tools 10 Avid fx Avid 3d Matrox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 29 2008 9:16 AM In reply to

christianwins:
    if I am doing something wrong I haven't figured it out.

Hi,

Javier figured it out.  Your OS isn't supported, and neither is your video card.  As you're finding out, Xpress Pro has very specific system requirements

The first thing I'd try is getting Windows XP Professional service pack 2 installed as your operating system.  Then I'd look at the Version Matrix (linked to earlier in this thread) and install the correct video drivers.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Mar 29 2008 10:48 AM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

i am quite interested in how this was edited on Vista in the first place Smile Anyhow exporting as QTref (Vista or XP) will export a link to the original media and you can not get it better the that assuming you are using one resolution during your edit.

Try it, export as QTref set the options to digital mastering and load the qtref inside whatever application you want to work with it (that accepts .mov files).

Btw if you are unable to export QTref the footage will probably be in ts mpeg as it came in as HDV. You will need then to convert your timeline (look up transcode) to a DNxHD format and then export as QTref.

Menno

35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

• Sat, Mar 29 2008 4:58 PM In reply to

Ok, yeah have tried pretty much every option.  In all honesty am I better off getting something else that runs better with Vista or do they come out with upgrades for things like this often?

Vista Avid 5.7 QT 7.1.3 Sony Vaio Laptop, 2gig ram, Intel duo 1.8 processor NVIDIA 8400 GeForceM GT External IEEE 1394 card [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 29 2008 6:06 PM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

There will be a vista ready application but not for xrpress pro as that is end of life. Media Composer will be there but don't hold your breath.. will be at least a few months away.

Menno

35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

• Sat, Mar 29 2008 6:10 PM In reply to

christianwins:
    In all honesty am I better off getting something else that runs better with Vista or do they come out with upgrades for things like this often?

Hi,

Like Menno said, Xpress Pro is discontinued, but you can upgrade to Media Composer.  At the moment, Media Composer doesn't run under Vista, but it probably will eventually.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller