Latest post Sat, Mar 29 2008 6:10 PM by camoscato. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 13 2008 6:15 AM

How to export in good quality? (newb)

Hey, i've looked all over and don't see this, seems like a simple thing.  Just need to export my movie preferably in HD, from what i've tried it looks like there are 3 options for this.
    Export to Device -> HDV (which only does .mpeg2 - ts)
    Digital Cut (from the help resource but it stays grayed out, not sure if it's a valid option for this)
    Export

Export i've tried for hours with all the different options but none of them look any good, the best looking thing i've seen so far is the Export to Device .mpeg2 version, but I need it as .mov, .wmw or .avi.  The Export can do .move and .avi, but even when I do their highest quality ones they look very poor.

Is there a way to export in better quality such as HD?  (I have tried the HD settings under export but it didn't make any difference).

Thanks

Vista Avid 5.7 QT 7.1.3 Sony Vaio Laptop, 2gig ram, Intel duo 1.8 processor NVIDIA 8400 GeForceM GT External IEEE 1394 card [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 13 2008 10:12 AM In reply to

Re: How to export in good quality? (newb)

Hi,

What version of Xpress Pro and Quicktime are on the system?  A lot of people export Quicktime reference movies out of Xpress Pro and use a third party encoder to convert to whatever they need (WMV, AVI, etc.).  Do you have access to a third party encoder (Squeeze or Procoder, for example)?

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Mar 13 2008 1:04 PM In reply to

• davie205
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 30 2006
    • Posts 65
    • Points 825

I recommend

- export as .m2t (HDV), best quality.  Then convert to MPEG2 or whatever using Canopus.

OR

- export as Quicktime, use Avid Codec, settings are DV PAL, best resolution.  This will give you a 720x576 Quicktime file in fantastic quality which can be converted to MPEG2/DVD.  Again, use Canopus or Ulead.

• Fri, Mar 14 2008 7:48 PM In reply to

Quicktime 7.4.1
    Xpress Pro 5.7
    I've tried every format in the options (one was Sorenson Squeeze not sure if that is what you meant).  But they all look very poor, I have every option to the best quality they will go as far as I know.  I'm sure there is something i'm doing wrong because windows movie maker exports with 5 times the quality that these are right now (except the mpeg2 under export to device).  Thanks in advance.
    Vista Avid 5.7 QT 7.1.3 Sony Vaio Laptop, 2gig ram, Intel duo 1.8 processor NVIDIA 8400 GeForceM GT External IEEE 1394 card [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 14 2008 8:17 PM In reply to

Hi,

According to the Version Matrix, you ought to be running Quicktime 7.1.3.  Try uninstalling QT 7.4 and install 7.1.3 and see how exporting goes.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Sat, Mar 15 2008 7:02 AM In reply to

Thanks for continuing to helping me getting a rolling start with this.  Tried the 7.1.3 QT, didn't seem to have an effect.  The .mov and .avi at the best settings really don't do any good, which I don't quite get why the .mpeg is so much better.  I do have one more question as I keep looking for this solution.

Is there a way to change the volume for individual sound clips?  If I change a clip before the timeline it doesn't stick once it hits the timeline, once it's on the timeline and change it, doesn't stick.  Thanks
  • Sat, Mar 15 2008 8:43 AM In reply to

Hi,

What is your ultimate goal?  If it's output to DVD, take a look at "How to DVD" on this thread, which has several different workflow suggestions for different encoders and authoring programs.  If it's something else, what?

As for the audio, how are you changing the volume of the audio clips?  You should be using the Audio Mix Tool.  If it's not sticking, there's something wrong.  Fill out your system specifications in your profile so we can get an idea of what you're working with.

good luck,
    Carl

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 3:41 AM In reply to

The audio figured out thanks.  The goal is to export in high def. so I can add effects in EffectLab Pro.  The problem lies in that EffectsLab Pro does not use .mpeg2, so I need a .mov or .avi to be as high quality as the .mpeg2 comes out.  If anyone has any ideas or willing to chat for a couple minuites on msn messenger to help me get this fixed that would be great!

christianwins@hotmail.com (msn/e-mail)

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 3:54 AM In reply to

christianwins:
    I need a .mov or .avi to be as high quality as the .mpeg2 comes out.

In my experience, .mpeg2's are very highly compressed and hardly ever look as good as an uncompressed .mov

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 8:13 AM In reply to

christianwins:
    The goal is to export in high def. so I can add effects in EffectLab Pro.

Hi,

I'm with Kenton on this.  An uncompressed Quicktime movie will be much higher quality than MPEG2.

good luck,
    Carl

• Thu, Mar 27 2008 3:53 AM In reply to

One last post on this one and I think i'll give this question up.  Have tried exporting all the different .mov types (about 40 different ones, all with the same result).  So it must be some setting. 

In Export Settings, should I be using HDV, Quicktime Movie, or something else?

And when I go to actually export it and pick the type (Windows Image Pal, AudioVision, Sorenson Squeeze, etc)

Is there any other settings in the whole thing that should be switched? (Every option I have found is set for best quality/same as source).  Result of all the .mov is about 10-15 fps.  Thanks again, appreciate the time.

• Thu, Mar 27 2008 2:19 PM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

Why not use Quicktime reference? Fast and you are using the original media...

Menno

35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 4:02 AM In reply to

Menno thanks for the response, these are the 4 options for reference and they are all are giving poor quality.

Make New - QuickTime Reference
    QuickTime Reference DV Codec
    QuickTime Reference
    Pro Tools Quick Time (ref)

I know it's not a problem with my QuickTime since everything else that uses it works fine.

In export settings i've tried 16:9, same as source, and pretty much every other option.  I guess maybe Avid can't export in .mov better than 15 fps?...Thanks for trying guys.

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 5:29 AM In reply to

It looks to me like you're not actually customizing the Export settings.  The settings you list are the presets.  When you click File>Export don't just select a preset from the drop down below the file name, Click Options and in there you will find a slew of .... well... options.  From there choose "QuickTime", then set your codec choice, frame rate etc. 

Avid most certainly can export in better than 15 fps. 

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 7:16 AM In reply to

christianwins:
    I guess maybe Avid can't export in .mov better than 15 fps?...Thanks for trying guys.

Hi,

People export full frame size/full frame rate Quicktime movies all over the world every day.  As Kenton has suggested, click Options to see the full range of variables available to you.

good luck,
    Carl

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller