Latest post Thu, Jul 16 2009 4:14 PM by Puddinhead. 19 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 29 2008 3:01 AM In reply to

Re: ERROR RECREATING DATABASE FILES IN OMFI FOLDERS

"... the partition limit recomendation is from AVID... See the link in my message ..."

I know about the link, and I disagree with Avid's generalization.  The tech note needs to differentiate between OMF media and MXF media.  Avid has recommended a solution that works for OMF media, but might require "unnecessary" additional volumes if using MXF media.  We frequently use volumes of 1-2TB's without any issues, as we use only MXF media on those systems.  The file count is managed automatically by Avid.  No sub-folder exceeds 5,000 files.

The tech note also doesn't mention Unity, where media is again automatically distributred into sub-folders, based on system name.  In many cases, this process manages the file counts automatically as well.

With OMF, you do need to monitor the file count or volume size.  As the tech note says:

"Avid is indexing the hundreds of thousands of files included on that partition . That, in turn, taxes the database files ..."

However, if you don't have "hundreds of thousands" of files, then the databases aren't being over taxed.  OMF media is automatically chunked at 2GB's.  Even with media chunking, longer Master Clips will yield fewer overall files, than many shorter Master Clips.

"A bigger barrel can hold more water."

Bad analogy.  But following your water theme, we'd be talking about ice cubes vs block ice.

"That's not what I said. Or tried to say"

With your clarification, I agree.  That error will typically prevent you from continuing.  Not because all of the databases are unavailable, but because the program ceases to search for them.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Jan 29 2008 4:24 AM In reply to

Bad analogy.

.- Why? A bigger drive can efectively contain more files.

Am I wrong?

But following your water theme, we'd be talking about ice cubes vs block ice.

.- The thing is that you DO NOT get "block ice" when you work with OMF.

Ice cubes, at the very  best.

As I told (and You too) , even if you digitize just one uninterrupted super-big clip, you'll get several OMF files.

Sadly, that's unavoidable, that's the nature of OMF.

However, if you don't have "hundreds of thousands" of files, then the databases aren't being over taxed.

.- Just 10.000 is enough to call for trouble.

OMF media is automatically chunked at 2GB's.  Even with media chunking, longer Master Clips will yield fewer overall files, than many shorter Master Clips.

.- Randy. in real life that's a little "optimistic" at best. You know it and I know it.

It's almost imposible (and unreal for an editor) to keep track and control the size and the number of OMF files.

The best bet is to minimize the risk.

But even with that, a bigger partition can hold more chunks, whatever is the size.

Even with larger file sizes, a smaller partition still has an advantage.

A 2 TB volume can hold 2000 chunks of 2GB each, while a 200 GB partition can hold no more than 100.

We are not trying to ELIMINATE the problem using smaller partitions, just MINIMIZE it

In my case, it has worked like a charm.

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 4:20 AM In reply to

• tmin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 31 2008
    • Posts 12
    • Points 160

ERROR RECREATING DATABASE FILES IN OMFI FOLDERS

All of this makes sense to me now that I'm going through all of this.  I have one partition in which the OMFI Media Folder has over 5000 files I think.  I'm not at work right now so I have to check that in the morning.  I'm going to move those files to an empty partition.  I'm going to count it up tomorrow but I easily have between 14,000 - 15,000 files in my media folder on my old drive.  At least I have 10 projects backed up on another drive.

Can this cause media files on other partitions to be Quarantined when Avid Starts up after the Data Base files are deleted and Avid begins to rebuild everything? 

I was able to open a few projects and noticed my newest problem.  Clips in my timeline play back but multiple clips on multiple tracks are highlighted in red.  Do you happen to know if this will go away as well once I finish moving my media files around and recreate my data base.  This postings looks very helpful.  Thanks for putting it out.  Sorry this is so long but I've had so many issues with this system for 2 months and now I can't work when I have deadlines on probably what is the most important video projects of my career and for our company.   If you have any more insight to anything else I wrote below, I would greatly appreciate it. 

Below are issues I was having for other readers who may have hit this.

I am going through this right now.  I run Xpress Pro 4.6 but it's not on an Avid Certified HP or Dell. 

I have been able to work in my program for a couple months now but I have not been able to:

Cannot Playback in Full Quality Playback

Cannot Render in Full Quality Playback Mode

Audio Dropout on playback in Medium Quality Mode

Export a Same As Source Quicktime Movie to prepare projects for Windows Media Encoding (the exporting just started a week ago).  Was able to export using other codecs.

So I called Avid and they started me on this path.  I copied 772 GB off of a 2TB Drive to a separate 2TB Drive that I partitioned 7 times.  I copied all of the data in my OMFI Media Folder to separate partitions and kept my file sized to 180GB per OMFI Media Folder.  Each partition is 250GB. 

My H: drive/partition kept asking me to Quarantine Files.  I'm pretty sure I have over 5000 Files in the OMFI Folder.  Hopefully that fixes everything for me.  I've been looking everywhere for an explanation on this.  I was not aware of these limitations, but they make sense.  I just started with these larger drives.  I never went over 1TB and half of the files on those drives are large exports and associated files.

I made 3 Primary Partitions, 1 Extended Partition with 4 logical drives.

Randall L Rike:

"Also delete the quarantined files if any, they are unrecoverable anyway"

Not necessarily.  Another cause for Quarantine is if the folders contain too many files.  The original releases that supported MXF cascaded to a new folder at 10,000.  In our testing we found that if we distyributed the media into more, but smaller, groups, the media would sdcan & index without Quarantine.  It had nothing to do with corrupt media, only the quantity.  While in discussions with Avid engineering, I found out the next release would drop the max to 5,000.  This was done beginning with the .7 versions.

"Avid media partitions/OMF folders shouldn't be bigger than 250 Gigs"

The size of the volume isn't the direct cause of problems.  It's the quantity of files.  As the file count increases, so does the size of the media databases.  It's the large databases that cause issues.  However, smaller volumes will assist in keeping the file count down.  E.g., if you primarily capture whole tapes, or large segments of tapes, you will have a relatively small number of files, and therefore can have a much larger volume.  If you're capturing zillions of tiny clips, you might reach the file counts on a much smaller volume.  If you only use MXF, Avid handles the file count for you (5,000 per folder).  If you're still using OMF, then you should monitor yourt file count, and determine the appropriate volume size.

" If ANY of the databases fail and you get an error, you'll get "MEDIA OFLINE" on any of the projects related to that partition, whether is MXF or the OMFI"

To clarify, with both OMF and MXF media on the same partition or volume, their databases are independant.  E.g., if an OMF file is offline, only that OMF clip will appear as Media Offline.  If an MXF file is offline, only that clip will appear as Media Offline.  And, yes, I just tested this by relocating OMF media and MXF media one-at-a-time.  Niether caused the entire volume to appear offline.

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 7:23 AM In reply to

tmin:
    Clips in my timeline play back but multiple clips on multiple tracks are highlighted in red.  Do you happen to know if this will go away as well once I finish moving my media files around and recreate my data base. 

Hi,

If the media files are actually on the drive, then yes, Media Composer should be able to see them once you've finished sorting all the media out and the databases are rebuilt.

good luck,
    Carl

p.s. This assumes that the clips are "highlighted in red" because your timeline settings are set to show offline clips as red.

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Jul 16 2009 4:14 PM In reply to

The MEDIA XMF folder "1" lacked the required admin settings, once corrected that fixed my problem getting my TRIAL version of MC to 100% SCAN the MEDIA drive "1" and the P2 files.

Patrick

BlackBird-O2 Case

ASUS x299 Prime Deluxe II mobo

64gb 3200 XMP Profile

Intel i9 9940x

Samsung EVO SSD W10 (2004) software RAID-0

Note: MC7 will NOT operate under W10 2004 version;

I made mistake of erasing previous W10 version 1909 which does operate MC7; even with HyperThread ON.

Currently Unsable to load MC7 due to "System Thread Exception Not Handling" Error.

At this time using Davinci 16.0.4 which does NOT support P2 but does support H265.

EVGA GTX-970 solo card

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller