Latest post Sat, Dec 22 2007 10:48 PM by Ken Lent. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 18 2007 6:41 AM

• Ken Lent
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 18 2007
    • California
    • Posts 129
    • Points 1,375

Xpress Pro startup fails because no vfoextu.dll

I just installed Xpress Pro 5.7.2 on an XP PC.  When I tried to run Xpress, I got the following error:

"900: AvidXpressPro.exe - Unable To Locate Component.  This application has failed to start because vfoextu.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

followed by another error:

"Avid Xpress Pro - A serious error has occurred! It is recommended that you restart the application immediately."

Upgrading to 5.7.7 did not fix the problem.

How can I fix this?

Core i7 930 PC 2.8GHz / 18GB RAM / Win10 Pro 64bit / nVidia Quadro K2200 (driver 411.95) / MC 2018.12.9 (Symphony/PF/SS) / BCC AVX 10.0.2 / NewBlue Titler... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 18 2007 7:31 AM In reply to

• indigospin
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lubbock, Texas, USA
    • Posts 528
    • Points 5,960

Re: Xpress Pro startup fails because no vfoextu.dll

hi klent, & welcome to the forum!

sorry for your trouble.  can i assume you tried a complete UNinstall/REinstall?  if you have not done so & you have never been able to get AXP to work on your machine, you should make sure to delete the Avid folder that remains in your Program Files folder after an uninstall.  then do a full, clean install.

that's about all i can offer since you didn't give any more info on your computer or system.  you will learn that Avid is a very robust program which will require VERY specific system configurations- hardware AND software - to perform well (or at all in some cases).  to ensure you get more help from the good people here, please take a moment to do the following:

Fill out your system specs in your profile (click on your username & fill in the blanks).  Make sure you list ALL hardware (drives, sound/video cards- including driver numbers, FW & USB ports, mobo, processor, RAM, etc.) & software (including versions numbers) such as any media related programs (WM, QT, etc.).  everyone here will ask for this as a prerequisite for any help.

here is a link to some info that may be helpful in setting up your system & addressing common issues.

http://www.avid.com/exchange/forums/thread/4408.aspx

good luck!

MC v8.0 QT v7.6.9 WMP v12 NTSC Nitris DX Hardware ASUS Delux MOBO, Intel core i7 3.2GHz, 12 GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), NVIDIA QuadroFX3500... [view my complete system specs]

Owner, Senior Editor, Director
    indigospin : media+marketing
    www.indigospin.com

indigospin.com

• Wed, Dec 19 2007 4:17 PM In reply to

• Ken Lent
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 129
    • Points 1,375

Hi indigospin,

Thank you for your help.  I think I have fixed the first part of my problem by copying vfoextu.dll (and a few other DLLs) from another app into the Xpress folder.  The second part of my problem ("A serious error has occurred") seems to be because my graphics card is not approved by Avid, so yesterday I ordered a card that is on Avid's list.

Cheers,

klent

Core i7 930 PC 2.8GHz / 18GB RAM / Win10 Pro 64bit / nVidia Quadro K2200 (driver 411.95) / MC 2018.12.9 (Symphony/PF/SS) / BCC AVX 10.0.2 / NewBlue Titler... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 19 2007 8:34 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,420
    • Points 97,425

klent:
    I think I have fixed the first part of my problem by copying vfoextu.dll (and a few other DLLs) from another app into the Xpress folder.  The second part of my problem ("A serious error has occurred") seems to be because my graphics card is not approved by Avid

I'd be surprised if "copying vfoextu.dll ... from another app" did fix your problem.  I suspect that the presence of the other app may have caused the original problem.  Your "serious error" message may just as likely be because Avid is now attempting to use a DLL with different functionality to the one that it expects.

The problem with the whole Windows dynamic link library system is that if two manufacturers supply DLLs with the same name Windows has no reliable means of arbitrating.  Worse, even Microsft-supplied DLLs can be affected.  If one manufacturer supplies a different version of a Microsoft DLL to another there is no reliable mechanism for resolving that issue either.

The only reliable fix would be to start from scratch.  Do a clean install of Windows XP Pro SP2.  Install all necessary drivers then install Avid.  Then just add the programs that you regularly use to support your NLE.  After each install, launch Avid and see if the problem has returned.  If it does roll back to prior to that install and try the next program.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 22 2007 10:48 PM In reply to

• Ken Lent
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 129
    • Points 1,375

Hi jwrl,

Thank you for your comments.  The "other app" is Avid Liquid.  I may be naive in thinking the same company would have compatible DLLs, since the two products have very different origins.  Anyway, the new graphics card is on the way.  I will see how things are after installing the card.  Will consider starting from scratch if necessary.

klent

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller