Latest post Tue, Apr 9 2024 8:59 PM by Mercer. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 9 2024 7:33 PM

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 873
    • Points 11,290

BSOD with Asio sound device 2023.8.1

Haven't been around for a while and I've been mostly remote, on facility Avids, when I've worked - it's been awful quiet here, for a lot of us. So I dropped, after 20 years, my perpetual support, in mid Sept last, since it was costing to me a good chunk each year and I wasn't using my own Avid and mainly I couldn't afford it.

Of course that coincided with some useful changes; classic interface and finally the ability to use a seperate sound device, for monitoring, VO and punch ins etc. I just bobbed into 2023.8.1 fortunately before expiry (of course I missed news of the final download window too for older versions, as well, so a full back up first) so I thought I'd give it a try.

It crashes my system upon launch, when it gets to initiating the audio device; a Sound Devices Mix Pre 6 II; this is on W11 with a BMD US 4K Mini video i/o. Asio doesn't apparently work in any case with 3rd party hardware only the MBoxes and such, or at least I think so, since I can't find out, as it crashes before. Nonetheless I can get directsound to work, if I switch off the Mix Pre while launching and switch it on in the program. Naturally, I see the one possible useful and only bug fix, that might overcome this, is in the 2023.8.2 release, after my support expired.

My question really is, has anyone else experienced this, with similar or any sound card, since this feature appeared and if so, are there any workarounds, tweaks and hacks to get it, at least not crashing upon launch?

MC with Symphony option, 2022.10, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 9 2024 8:20 PM In reply to

Re: BSOD with Asio sound device 2023.8.1

Welcome back Mercer :)

Mercer:

and finally the ability to use a seperate sound device, for monitoring

Careful! You'll have drift/out-of-sync issues when sending video and audio to seperate devices. On a ProTools system, you would have a Sync clock taking care of clocking the two devices

Mercer:

It crashes my system upon launch, when it gets to initiating the audio device; a Sound Devices Mix Pre 6 II; this is on W11 with a BMD US 4K Mini video i/o. Asio doesn't apparently work in any case with 3rd party hardware only the MBoxes and such, or at least I think so, since I can't find out, as it crashes before. Nonetheless I can get directsound to work, if I switch off the Mix Pre while launching and switch it on in the program. Naturally, I see the one possible useful and only bug fix, that might overcome this, is in the 2023.8.2 release, after my support expired.

My queston really is, has anyone else experienced this, with similar or any sound card, since this feature appeared and if so, are there any workarounds, tweaks and hacks to get it, at least not crashing upon launch?

Email me, we might be able to set you up with an 30-day evaluation trial to test if that bug fix actually resolves this.

But again, you really shouldn't be sending video and audio to two seperate devices without a way of syncing them together... I get it if you were to use the interface for Punch in.

Questions...

- Are you running the latest audio interface drivers?

- Screenshot of your audio punch in and I/O settings?

- Try disconnecting the interface when the PC is off... turn on the PC, connect interface, launch the driver app, make sure it's SYNCED ok/working with windows, then run MC

- Does the issue persist if you were to disconnect the Blackmagic video device from the I/O settings in Media Composer, relaunch so MC only launches with the Interface?

• Tue, Apr 9 2024 8:59 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 873
    • Points 11,290

Re: BSOD with Asio sound device 2023.8.1

Philip Kapadia:
    Welcome back Mercer :)

Thanks Philip, so good to see you doing so well, young man! I wish you all the best in your new job.

Philip Kapadia:
    Careful! You'll have drift/out-of-sync issues when sending video and audio to seperate devices. On a ProTools system, you would have a Sync clock taking care of clocking the two devices

I've got B&B house sync, Philip; it's all locked together and they work that way, in total sync with Resolve studio. In any case it's not for playout really, and not for most of the time. I can already audio punch with the Utrastudio 4K Mini, by looping SDI into to out, too. The really useful thing about the Mix Pre II though is it has Noise Assist, which works very well for clear VO recordings, to picture. In fact just about as good as a purpose built sound booth. And it's superior sound quality to the Ultrastudio. When I did manage to get it to work with directsound, sync was fine too in Avid as far as I could see. It's just the BSOD crash, the first I've ever had with any programme on this set up.

Philip Kapadia:
    Email me, we might be able to set you up with an 30-day evaluation trial to test if that bug fix actually resolves this.

That's very kind of you - I'd be very currious to see if that bug fix does it.

Philip Kapadia:

Questions...

- Are you running the latest audio interface drivers? Yes, Asio/Directsound from SD.

- Screenshot of your audio punch in and I/O settings? I'll try and take one - but it's only the crash, as far as I can see, working otherwise, if I only switch on the Mix Pre after launchig Avid.

- Try disconnecting the interface when the PC is off... turn on the PC, connect interface, launch the driver app, make sure it's SYNCED ok/working with windows, then run MC AS I say it will and does result in a catastrophic BSOD, unless I switch off the unit (or disconnect) until after Avid is fired up. Workable but obviously cumbersome.

- Does the issue persist if you were to disconnect the Blackmagic video device from the I/O settings in Media Composer, relaunch so MC only launches with the Interface? Yes, and I have tried different Desktop Video drivers too

Thanks once again, Philip.

MC with Symphony option, 2022.10, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller