Latest post Mon, Apr 8 2024 12:59 PM by ripvanmarlowe. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 30 2024 11:52 AM

• Jason NLC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 13 2013
    • Posts 185
    • Points 2,875

Edit drive recommendations?

I have the latest version of avid on a Mac Studio.  I mainly edit 4k these days. I currently have a g shuttle raid and promise Pegasus raid as edit drives. I'm looking for a new drive. What are people buying these days for good performance and reliability?  Thanks!

• Sat, Mar 30 2024 8:05 PM In reply to

Re: Edit drive recommendations?

SSDs connected via USB3 is very common. Desktop RAIDs are far less popular now. Your obvious options would be from OWC, Areca and SanDisk. OWC uses a software RAID. Works well on Mac. Not so great in Windows. If you want a hardware based RAID then SanDisk Shuttle 4 or any of the Areca Thunderbolt RAIDs work really well. 

MC 2023.8, W11, ASUS z690m, Intel 13900K, MSI 4090 Suprim Liquid, 128GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2019, Ventura... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 31 2024 11:42 AM In reply to

Symply make fantastic drives and have excellent customer service. I've got two of the Symply Spark 80TB units and they are wicked fast, well designed (built-in carry handle) and even come with a free Pelicase. Symply are also building out their ecosystem quite nicely too - I like the look of their Thunderbolt LTO unit designed for DITs too.

https://gosymply.com/item/spark/

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2022.10 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 31 2024 5:46 PM In reply to

ripvanmarlowe:

Symply make fantastic drives and have excellent customer service. I've got two of the Symply Spark 80TB units and they are wicked fast, well designed (built-in carry handle) and even come with a free Pelicase. Symply are also building out their ecosystem quite nicely too - I like the look of their Thunderbolt LTO unit designed for DITs too.

https://gosymply.com/item/spark/

Andi

They are excellent but for that kind of price I'd personally buy a used nexis pro

• Mon, Apr 1 2024 5:34 PM In reply to

Philip Kapadia:

They are excellent but for that kind of price I'd personally buy a used nexis pro

It's about £5k for the 80TB Spark unit.

I could only find a 20TB used Nexis Pro and that was also 5k. Videoguys have an 80TB with a switch for $30,000 (down from $50k).

Add in the larger form factor and weight, the additional power requirements and the crazy fan noise and plus all the additional maintainence and the fact that you'd need to be buying extra dogles to connect it to a laptop, there's no way buying a Nexis makes more sense for a single user. 

I've also got the Promise Pegasus (R6 & R8) and the G-RAID Shuttle. I like the Pegasus a lot, they've never given me a problem. The G-RAID I was less impressed with, although I like the form factor. I've also recently added a few of the 44TB Sandisk G-RAID Mirror drives for backups and they are very nice too (although you'll only get about 500MB/s from them as they are only two drives but you could edit from them I reckon). 

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2022.10 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 2 2024 6:37 PM In reply to

ripvanmarlowe:

Philip Kapadia:

Add in the larger form factor and weight, the additional power requirements and the crazy fan noise and plus all the additional maintainence and the fact that you'd need to be buying extra dogles to connect it to a laptop, there's no way buying a Nexis makes more sense for a single user. 

Yes but with that I could setup a production management system with cloud UX and distributed processing.

• Tue, Apr 2 2024 7:26 PM In reply to

Philip Kapadia:
    Yes but with that I could setup a production management system with cloud UX and distributed processing.

Sure, but it's not really sticking to the brief is it? Jason is asking about edit drives and his current ones are both standalone DAS. If I have to do a week long ASCR course just to figure out my edit drive then I don't think that's appropriate. Also, doesn't distributed processing require an Enterprise license? 

The Symply (or any other direct attached storage) is plug and play via a thunderbolt cable, much more mobile (try lugging your Nexis to a hotel room with you) and from what I can tell from the data sheets, the Nexis would have considerably less bandwidth than an 8 bay DAS. I get 1500MB/s on the Symply, Nexis Pro data sheet states 300MB/s for 20TB engine, in order to get 1200MB/s you'd need to scale out to 80TB at which point you've spent a fortune.

Don't get my wrong, for any sort of shared environment, direct attached will quickly become cumbersome. But for a single user, a Nexis is not appropriate. 

Andi

• Wed, Apr 3 2024 10:36 AM In reply to

ripvanmarlowe:

Sure, but it's not really sticking to the brief is it?

That's why I started with

Philip Kapadia:

I'd personally 

• Sun, Apr 7 2024 2:26 AM In reply to

• Jason NLC
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 185
    • Points 2,875

So it looks like this is the most affordable storage they make:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1793240-REG

It's not ssd, but supposedly just as fast? And it's raid 5, so it's fixable if a drive goes bad?

its about $1500 more than I wanted to spend, but do you guys think it's worth it?

its just plug and use, as well?  I'd just hook it up to my Mac Studio with a single usb 3 cable and then I could start editing?

if it's not worth the extra money, do I just buy another Pegasus or shuttle raid?

I see the OWC has good deals, but I hate that you have to keep buying their software  

• Sun, Apr 7 2024 2:54 AM In reply to

• Jason NLC
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 185
    • Points 2,875

This one's on sale. You get a lot more storage...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1708722-REG

• Sun, Apr 7 2024 2:56 AM In reply to

Sustained speed will be as fast a single SSD but not random  r/w.

You need to install the RAID software to configure it but it is likely set to RAID5 out of the box.

https://support.gosymply.com/support/solutions/articles/80000946550-spark-downloads

You can also get this

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1568433-REG/areca_arc_8050t3u_6_6bay_tower_thunderbolt.html

And buy  6 x 10TB drive for $250 each. It is hardware based RAID. A bit cheaper.

OWC RAID drives come with a license of their SoftRAID application.

MC 2023.8, W11, ASUS z690m, Intel 13900K, MSI 4090 Suprim Liquid, 128GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2019, Ventura... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 7 2024 12:01 PM In reply to

Hi Jason, I have both of the drives you've listed - the Symply and the Sandisk G-RAID. As Dom says, with the Symply you have to install aditional RAID software but it's quite trivial and you only have to do it once. After that, you just plug it in with a thunderbolt cable and it shows up like a regular drive on your desktop.

I get about 1500MB/s from the Symply and I have 2 of the 80TB version. When I first got it, I was running a very old version of Mac OS (Mojave) which was not supported by the drive. They literally wrote me a bit of code to get it to mount properly and work with my older system. Their support went above and beyond, remoted in to my system and fixed the whole thing even though it was basically my fault for running an older OS. I've tried to get in touch with Sandisk before and just never heard back. So from a support perspective, I really rate Symply. It's also built like a tank.

This will all depend on your budget and needs, like I say, I've also got the G-RAID Shuttle and to be fair, I've never had an issue with it other than it's a bit slower and for some inexplicable reason I received it formatted as ex-FAT which is a terrible idea. And you are getting more storage for less cost and everyone likes more storage. Build quality is not as high in my opinion but if it will just be sitting on a desk all day then that shouldn't really be an issue. It's also plug and play, no additional software to install if I recall although you can download a RAID utility to monitor the drives or change the RAID type etc. As far as I remember I just took it out of the box and plugged it in.

I also have the Promise R8 and R6 towers and they have been going strong for years. They were also very easy to upgrade when I needed to increase the size, just swapped out the drives for bigger ones and rebuilt the RAID. So maybe you don't need a new drive at all, just new disks for your existing Pegasus? They have a list of supported drives on their website. I initially had them as 32TB and I just doubled that to 64TB. This was a few years ago now so the largest drives they had on their list was something like 10TB Toshiba drives or something but with the 8 bay unit that would still give you 70TB of usable storage (in RAID 5). They may have added more drives since.

Anyway, hope some of this info is useful. Good luck, I love buying new toys!

Andi

• Sun, Apr 7 2024 12:53 PM In reply to

• Jason NLC
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 185
    • Points 2,875

That's extremely helpful. So perhaps I get the shuttle again to save some money and get more storage. It sounds like Symply is better, but since it's just going to sit on my desk, it might not be worth the money. I have OWC drives. They drive me nuts because of the software. You pay for upgrades and now, they say I can't upgrade and need to buy their new version of software. The Pegasus route is not a bad idea -- just get new drives and build the raid. The reason I'm shying away from that is because one of the promise enclosures just died on me -- not the drives -- just the enclosure.  The promise tech said that happens sometimes. They have great support by the way, but I'm hoping new drives and a new enclosure lessens problems. 

if I were to just buy drives for the Pegasus, can I buy any drives I want at any size I want -- just make sure they all match??  Can you provide a link to drives that would work in a promise enclosure that you trust??

thank you!

• Sun, Apr 7 2024 2:33 PM In reply to

Look under the Pegasus 32 section for the PDF of the drive compatibility chart. This is the official list from Promise:

https://kb.promise.com/thread/pegasus-2-hard-drive-compatibility-list-summary/?order=all

Looks like it supports up to 20TB Toshiba drives or 18TB Western Digital. Check the list for model numbers. When I did mine, I just noted down the model number and went to amazon and bought 8 of them. I don't see why other drives wouldn't work too but probably best to be safe. FYI I got Toshiba ones and haven't had a single drive die in about 4 years.

Andi

• Mon, Apr 8 2024 6:15 AM In reply to

Just wondering how AVID is working on your Mac Studio.  Is it solid?  I don't know when the Apple Silicon version will be available and so I've been hesitant to purchase a Mac Studio, but my gear is getting a little long in the tooth, although very stable.  Concerned about the crashing posts with Apple Silicon that I see on this forum.

By the way, we're a SanDisk Professional dealer and been a G-Tech dealer for almost 20 years (they've changed ownership a lot over the years).  Let me know if I can offer assistance.

Ernie Nathaniel

[email protected]

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller