Latest post Tue, Mar 26 2024 2:09 PM by ripvanmarlowe. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 12 2024 6:45 PM

• jimmy23
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 28 2014
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,190

Issues with importing AAFs and Audio

Hello,

I've been given an AAF exported from ProTools to bring into Avid, however I cannot get the media to appear online. I haven't got much experience with bringing in AAFs so it is very possible I'm missing a basic step.

I initially did a test with a project on EditShare. 

I imported the AAF, nothing was online. I realised that there weren't any MXF files for the AAF to link to so I imported the original sound files, re-imported the AAF and everything was online. Great.

The editor however is having to work off of a portable hard drive and as he had already brought in the original sound files, I assumed that I would simply need to bring in the AAF and it would work, but it didn't.

I tried every combo in the 'relink' option and nothing worked.

I tried batch-reimporting it but it just told me that I 'can't import this file into a bin'. Which I don't really understand, where else am I supposed to import it? 

And here's the kicker, I tried redoing everything wtih another test project to see if it was an EditShare/portable hard drive difference that was causing it and now that doesn't work either. Even though I replicated the exact same steps?

I am at a loss, any ideas around this?

Using 2022.4.0

Filed under: , ,
  • Tue, Mar 19 2024 12:54 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,966
    • Points 50,625
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Issues with importing AAFs and Audio

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Tue, Mar 19 2024 12:03 PM In reply to

• jimmy23
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,190

I followed those steps and checked to see if files were in the right place and still the same result. Looking at the lined article for managing media in shared workspaces didn't produce any results either.

• Tue, Mar 19 2024 2:43 PM In reply to

• jimmy23
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,190

Small update on this.

We thought we had a workaround, but it has produced a different issue.

So for testing, the sound designer exporting an AAF with .wav files worked. I brought in the AAF, it linked to the .wav files via the WaveAIFF Plug-In, I transcoded them. Deleted the AMA-linked .wav files, used relink on the sequence and it linked up to the MXF files. 

I then tried this on the editor's computer and when I imported the AAF, it didn't link to the .wav files via the WaveAIFF Plug-In. It just said, 'can't be linked', so this method doesn't work for him.

He is using 2021.12.7, don't know if there were issues in regards to plugins with that version. 

Ideally, we would only want to be bringing in AAFs so it's still a priority to solve that. If that does work, any thoughts as to why the plugin isn't working?

• Tue, Mar 19 2024 8:25 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,886
    • Points 259,655
    • ! Avid Employee
      !Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Developer Moderator
      ForumsAdministrator
      Moderator: Edit on Demand
      Moderator: SSAI PHAI
      SystemAdministrator

Hey Jimmy23

Thats odd because if you open or create a new project in Media Compose and then create a bin - you can right-click in the bin, and select Import (or simply drag and drop the AAF file into the bin).  Does this method work?  as it should and all imported AAF's clips should automatically be linked to the corresponding MXF media.

Can you share an AAF file that doesnt work?

Marianna

Sr. Director | Customer Experience and Community [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 21 2024 2:28 PM In reply to

• jimmy23
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,190

Hi Marianna,

Yes, I tried doing that but it still appears as offline. 

The sound designer and editor have named the sound files in their programs differently, could that be causing confusion in Avid? In the 'Drive' column in the bin the audio files that populate the bin when importing the AAF shows nothing, whereas they should be linking to the corresponding MXF files right?

• Thu, Mar 21 2024 3:06 PM In reply to

• jimmy23
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,190

I've attached two screenshots.

Screenshot 1: The bin with the audio files I imported into Avid. 

Screenshot 2: The bin I imported the AAF into. 

I don't know if there's anything jumping out there to anyone?

• Thu, Mar 21 2024 3:08 PM In reply to

• jimmy23
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,190

Sorry, thought it would give both screenshots. Here's screenshot 2. 

• Thu, Mar 21 2024 3:16 PM In reply to

The durations of the clips don't match?

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2022.10 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 21 2024 3:18 PM In reply to

Try decomposing your sequence and relinking to the decomposed clips instead

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2022.10 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 21 2024 4:22 PM In reply to

• jimmy23
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,190

ripvanmarlowe:

The durations of the clips don't match?

I don't know why this would be the case. The sound designer and I are both working with the exact same files. Is it as straightforward as this being the problem?

• Thu, Mar 21 2024 4:41 PM In reply to

• jimmy23
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,190

ripvanmarlowe:

Try decomposing your sequence and relinking to the decomposed clips instead

Andi

This didn't work either unfortunately.

• Thu, Mar 21 2024 5:09 PM In reply to

It's hard to tell from your screenshots because the columns aren't really showing. We can't see the full names etc. I can see that one set of clips doesn't have a tape name and one does. What are the relink settings you are using? I would make sure that you have some matching metadata for the relink process to grab hold of.

For example using the "Name" column to relink to or giving the clips without a tape name, the same tape name as the clips that do have the tape name. Avid needs to match the timecode and one other bit of metadata to relink. I normally use disk label and timecode, so you could give both sets of clips the same disk label and then try again with the relink using the settings Relink By: Start & Disk Label.

It doesn't have to be disk label but it does have to be something that is present on both sets of clips. 

If you wish to use the already existing clip names then I would use the relink settings as follows:

• Thu, Mar 21 2024 5:21 PM In reply to

• jimmy23
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,190

Ah yes, sorry. I've updated the posts to include more informative screenshots. 

• Thu, Mar 21 2024 5:37 PM In reply to

Ok, so let's take the first file I see - YapYap_Shale Neumann_Script.wav

It has a duration of 8.39.09 on one set of clips and 8.39.07 on the other.

It is also called YapYap_Shale Neumann_Script-144 and not YapYap_Shale Neumann_Script.wav

What I would do is add a disk label column and populate that column with a name that is shared by both sets of clips.

For example:

YapYap_Shale Neumann_Script.wav - Disk Label: Card_01 (or whatever)
    YapYap_Shale Neumann_Script-144 - ALSO 
    Disk Label: Card_01 (or whatever)

Now decompose your sequence - you should end up with new master clips with the inherited Disk Label.

Now select these clips and relink using the following settings:

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller