Latest post Mon, Mar 11 2024 8:03 PM by Marianna. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 5 2024 2:23 PM

MC 24.2.0 can neither install nor uninstall previous version - Windows

Hello

I'm trying to install the new version of media composer (24.2) on my Windows 10 PC. I currently have version 23.8 installed. I downloaded the install zip folder from my avid product page. Every time I follow the install wizard, it goes through the motions of trying to uninstall the previous version but never completes, it keeps saying 'the wizard was interrrupted before avid could be installed'. I've tried multiple times now, I'm not interrupting it in any way.

I've also tried to uninstall my current version manually but that seems to never work either. The uninstaller seems to open and start the process but then just closes down and nothing happens. So I'm sort of drawing a conclusion here that my PC's having trouble uninstalling Avid.

I'm not using Avid Link at all for any of this process. I was able to uninstall Avid Link with no issue.

As a further note if it's helpful - I have MC installed onto an internal SSD. But I can see there are also some avid program files in my C drive, so that's equally confusing to me. This may be unrelated. Either way, I really want to be able to wipe the slate clean with it.

Any help would be really appreciated, as while I'm able to open and use MC just fine, I don't want to be stuck with this version and be unable to even uninstall it.

Thankyou

• Sun, Mar 10 2024 10:55 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,966
    • Points 50,625
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: MC 24.2.0 can neither install nor uninstall previous version - Windows

You need to reinstall Avid Link to do the upgrade. The current issue is you can't uninstall using the remove Avid media Composer via the Add/Remove programs or via the uninstaller. Also your license will not take effect unless Avid link is installed.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Mar 11 2024 11:31 AM In reply to

Thanks for your reply.

I think I'm still having issues however. I've re-intsalled Avid Link and have clicked install MC on it - the installer appears and begins the process, but then closes. It says installing next to MC in Avid Link for a few minutes then resets back to the initial install button. So nothing seems to be happening.

• Mon, Mar 11 2024 8:03 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,886
    • Points 259,655
    • ! Avid Employee
      !Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Developer Moderator
      ForumsAdministrator
      Moderator: Edit on Demand
      Moderator: SSAI PHAI
      SystemAdministrator

Dylan

Let me get support on this for you....

Marianna

Sr. Director | Customer Experience and Community [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller