Latest post Tue, May 21 2024 5:30 PM by PatrickReber. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 13 2023 3:59 PM

UPDATE: I/O devices and M1/M2 systems

Hi everyone. Ajay Yumul and I wanted to give you an update on the known issues with I/O box firmware from BMD, as well as to ask some of you for some help with logging some similarly reported bugs with the I/O box firmware from AJA.

Several of you have mentioned issues with running BlackMagic's I/O boxes attached to Media Composer on M1/M2 systems, including audio dropouts, hang-ups, and crashes. These also include the Avid-branded boxes named DNxIO, DNxIQ, and DNxID. It has certainly been an elusive issue for BMD, Apple, and Avid. We've been working very closely with BMD throughout the whole triage process, providing them as much assistance as we can, including making some small changes to the MC code in order to allow them to update their firmware as effectively as possible.

Currently Avid is waiting for BMD to finalize some tasks on their end. We've done our part but this issue won't be resolved until they complete the next steps.

In the meantime, BMD has told us they’ve seen a much lower frequency of issues on macOS 12.7 Monterey and on Ventura 13.6. So, if you’re currently experiencing issues, following BMD’s suggestion of upgrading your macOS to 12.7 or 13.6 may reduce the rate of instances.

Some of you have also mentioned seeing similar issues with AJA's hardware I/O boxes. These also include the Avid-branded boxes named DNxIV and DNxIP. However, customers with AJA-based issues have been giving us less details about their issues. So, if anyone here is running Media Composer and experiencing tech issues with their AJA devices, please email Ajay Yumul at a new email address we've created for this issue -- [email protected] -- so that he can add any details you provide to the tracking for these bugs. Please include your MC version, OS version, AJA model, AJA firmware version, and the more details you can offer about your computer’s specs the better.

We've been able to get a lot of work done in fixing this, and that is thanks in large part to everyone here who has submitted details about workflows and individual computer configurations.

That's always the best way to squash bugs. Thanks!

------

Chris Bové
    Manager, Avid's Digital Customer Success Team
    [email protected] 

• Fri, Oct 13 2023 4:15 PM In reply to

• kkordisch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 5 2011
    • Posts 171
    • Points 2,150

Re: UPDATE: I/O devices and M1/M2 systems

Hi, what happened to this on Aug 8 by Marianna:

"Hey all....... Good news....  it appears that BMD has a fix for the hang issue underway :) which causes the beachballs.  The product team tells me they expect to finish the fix and start testing this week. Then it will go through their SQA process and be scheduled into a BMD release. We have offered to provide whatever help we can testing the fix."

https://community.avid.com/forums/t/208857.aspx

• Fri, Oct 13 2023 4:18 PM In reply to

• kkordisch
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 171
    • Points 2,150

Also, none of what you mentioned above matches the version matrix. If you want people to update to the latest macOS, you should coordinate and qualify these OS's.

https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/en267087

• Fri, Oct 13 2023 4:34 PM In reply to

kkordisch:

Hi, what happened to this on Aug 8 by Marianna:

"Hey all....... Good news....  it appears that BMD has a fix for the hang issue underway :) which causes the beachballs.  The product team tells me they expect to finish the fix and start testing this week. Then it will go through their SQA process and be scheduled into a BMD release. We have offered to provide whatever help we can testing the fix."

https://community.avid.com/forums/t/208857.aspx

BMD is testing/validating, and we're hoping they'll deliver the fix soon. 

------

Chris Bové
    Manager, Avid's Digital Customer Success Team
    [email protected] 

• Fri, Oct 13 2023 4:57 PM In reply to

• kkordisch
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 171
    • Points 2,150

In the meantime, can somebody add notations in the avid version matrix (like the Nvidia ones have) about issues with apple silicon with IO boxes until this is actually fixed? I think the customers deserve to have that info noted in a place where they look to see what is qualified and actually working.

• Thu, Oct 19 2023 5:04 PM In reply to

• kkordisch
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 171
    • Points 2,150

Are there any updates? I have been told BMD has been testing and validating a fix since Aug.

• Thu, Nov 2 2023 10:49 PM In reply to

• kkordisch
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 171
    • Points 2,150

Update? Since the begininng of August you guys have said this was in final testing.

• Mon, Nov 6 2023 12:13 PM In reply to

Any news on this front? From the outside it looks like nothing is happening, would love to get an update from Avid on how much longer we have to wait on a fix...

• Mon, Nov 6 2023 7:38 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,887
    • Points 259,670
    • ! Avid Employee
      !Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Developer Moderator
      ForumsAdministrator
      Moderator: Edit on Demand
      Moderator: SSAI PHAI
      SystemAdministrator

kkordisch:

Update? Since the begininng of August you guys have said this was in final testing.

Ken

So frustrating on this end as well.  We now have something to test on our end from them but BMD is not quite ready to release it yet. They understand how important it is but want a little more time to test.

The issue likely started back with BMD 12.4 (their first DriverKit release).  Although we haven’t tested it and don’t qualify recent MC releases with their older drivers, customers may be able to go back to the release prior to that one (12.3.1 - I believe). 

But if on most modern macOS versions, you will need to disable SIP to allow the KEXT to install.  here are the instructions used for NEXIS whihc also applies to this situation with BMD.

https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Knowledge/Installing-Nexis-Client-on-Mac-M1?retU_3

Im pushing product management and they in turn are pushing BMD....

Marianna

Sr. Director | Customer Experience and Community [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 6 2023 7:38 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,887
    • Points 259,670
    • ! Avid Employee
      !Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Developer Moderator
      ForumsAdministrator
      SystemAdministrator

Bram van Dam:

Any news on this front? From the outside it looks like nothing is happening, would love to get an update from Avid on how much longer we have to wait on a fix...

See below.... that is the latest from BMD and product management.

Im so very sorry this is slow......  

Marianna

Sr. Director | Customer Experience and Community [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 8 2023 5:49 PM In reply to

• kkordisch
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 171
    • Points 2,150

12.3.1 desktop video does seem to be better. I have been testing with a 4k mini for about two hours on MC 2022.12.4. I am not seeing the hangs that I was seeing before in trim mode. I shall update more later.

• Wed, Nov 15 2023 5:23 PM In reply to

• kkordisch
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 171
    • Points 2,150

Is there an update? Like a real update about the status of this? First it was Blackmagic and AJA's fault, then it was sonoma kept pushing this back. This has been happening since last year. I don't know if you realize how unacceptable this is.

• Wed, Nov 15 2023 7:37 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,887
    • Points 259,670
    • ! Avid Employee
      !Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Developer Moderator
      ForumsAdministrator
      SystemAdministrator

Ken,

I asked for my weekly update and I am waitin to hear back. I 150% agree this is unacceptable but in this case our hands are tied by BMD as it is there fix to release and they havent yet as they are still testing.

Let me chase the folks internally.

Marianna

• Wed, Nov 15 2023 9:12 PM In reply to

• sven2615
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 12 2006
    • Berlin / L.A.
    • Posts 161
    • Points 2,180

+1

kkordisch:

Is there an update? Like a real update about the status of this? First it was Blackmagic and AJA's fault, then it was sonoma kept pushing this back. This has been happening since last year. I don't know if you realize how unacceptable this is.

Avid Media Composer 2022.7 | MacStudio Ultra 128GB RAM | OS 12.6.6 | Avid DNxID [view my complete system specs]

www.iconictalentagency.com/sven-budelmann
    www.svenbudelmann.com

• Tue, Jan 2 2024 9:46 PM In reply to

• Chad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 13 2011
    • Canada
    • Posts 5
    • Points 35

+1 for the new year. Fingers crossed.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) / 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 / 32 GB ram / dual AMD FirePro D700 6 GB [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller