Latest post Mon, Oct 16 2023 7:27 AM by abernardi. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 11 2023 6:49 AM

• abernardi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 30
    • Points 415

New Simple set up

I've been cutting on an Avid since the early 90's, but the systems were always provided by my employers.  Several years ago I set up a small system with an old Mac Pro, flashed the ROM so it could work with the current versions, Mackie 16 channel mixing board, and 888 24 bit I/O, Nitris DX, 3 work monitors, 1 client monitor and 5.1 powered audio monitors.

I just bought a M2 Mac Studio and I want to streamline, but facilities have always set these things up and I'v never done it myself.  I really don't need to input/output from tape or cards.  The files are usually supplied to me in DNxHD or Prores on HD or SSD. And then I output back to files.  Very simple.  I don't need to color time, I don't need to record anything, it's strictly cutting in 5.1 or 2.0.  I tend to work with a fair number of tracks, up to 48 or so.

I'd love to at least get rid of the Mackie, it takes up so much desk space. I've got a thunderbolt 3 DVI display hub, several thunderbolt hubs.  My monitors take DVI. I'm only working in HD, though that may go up to 4K or UHD soon.  I may need a KVM switch because I'll have one Mac Mini for email, etc and the Mac Studio running the avid, which has to be isolated from the internet for privacy.

I don't feel confident in setting up this system without advice.  From the little research I've done, I'm thinking I should keep the 888 as the DAC and ADC, get something like a Focusrite Scarlette 18i20 or a SMC 2489 for audio control.  Is there a box that would control the monitors, have some kind of audio meters to make sure sould is coming out properly AND funtion as a DAC/ADC?  Actually, do I even need an ADC?  I don't think so. 

Anyway, it's time for this old dog to learn some new tricks.  Any advice would be appreciated!  THANKS!

P.S.  I'm also looking for good Audio Plug-ins for ADR placement and roomtone sampling and something that is able to cleanly pull out dialogue from a mix (in case I'm missing stems) and is there a better "FluidMotion" out there?

Mac Pro 4,1 (flashed to 5,1), Nitris DX, Makie 16ch Mixer, 3 HP 16x10 monitors, i big screen Sony TV as client monitor, 888 24bit I/O, 5 Event powered... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 11 2023 11:01 PM In reply to

Re: New Simple set up

Adam,

I had a similar set up to your old Macpro system, using a Bob outputting SDI which was converted to 8 AES channels by a Aja disembedder and then to analog vis an 888/24.

What I use now is somewhat simpler: the HDMI output from an Aja Kona 4 straight into an AV receiver, the 5.1 outputs to a mixture of passive (Quested 802's bi_amped) and powered speakers (Genelecs) fed by the speaker outputs of the AV amp.

(Yes, the speaker outputs.)

This works perfectly. It may be possible to not use a BOB (like you old Nitris DX,) and output directly via HDMI from the Mac M2 to an suitable "domestic" AV amp and this give you the D/A and volume control.

I miss my old ppm meters but now use a Hamlet Digiscope for audio metering, which also gives waveforms if you ever get into "colour timing."

Audio plug-ins for de-noiseing I do not use; however the free TDR Nova multiband compressor is on every track in the mixer.

Fluidmotion? Twixtor is better in many cases, but you have to use a different platform...

Hope this helps a little...

48 tracks jeez...

David

Symphony 2018.12.13 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 2018.12.13 OS 10.13.4 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, SNS SANmp... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 12 2023 1:38 AM In reply to

• abernardi
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 30
    • Points 415

Thanks David.  I never thought of just using an AV receiver.  HDMI can handle 5.1 now?  But I'd still need some kind of Bob, I think.  Maybe the thunderbolt port on the Mac, to an HDMI adapter and then to the reciever may be all I need?  Could it be that simple?

Mac Pro 4,1 (flashed to 5,1), Nitris DX, Makie 16ch Mixer, 3 HP 16x10 monitors, i big screen Sony TV as client monitor, 888 24bit I/O, 5 Event powered... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 12 2023 2:16 AM In reply to

abernardi:
    HDMI can handle 5.1 now

Depends. The HDMI from I/O devices is 8-channel and flagged as 7.1. And some (older) amps/preamps won't handle 7.1 PCM over HDMI, others (modern ones) will.

Also, beware that MC has two 5.1 output formats: Pro Tools (L/C/R/Ls./Rs/Lfe) or SMPTE (L/R/C/Lfe/Ls/Rs) whereas HDMI has a different channel order (L/R/Lfe/C/Ls/Rs, IIRC). Some I/O devices, like the ones from AJA and Avid branded Blackmagic boxed, properly convert their output from SMPTE to the channel order HDMI expects. Others, like some Blackmagic devices, will output in SMPTE order, with no adjustment for the swapped C/Lfe.

Without a BOB, if your HDMI receiver/preamp is capable of receiving 5.1/7.1 PCM over HDMI, and if you're on a Mac, connecting said receiver/preamp to the Mac should allow the Mac to output 5.1 to that receiver/preamp. So, say, a Mac laptop or Mac Mini or Studio, connected over HDMI to a 5.1 home theater, will let you output 5.1 from MC.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 16 2023 7:27 AM In reply to

• abernardi
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 30
    • Points 415

Thanks for the reply Job.  I know this is a rank beginner's question but here goes: Can the MC be configured to send out 5.1 (SMPTE) via USB or Thunderbolt to, let's say a Topping DM7 (an 8 channel DAC with 1/4" line out jacks) or a Motu 8A which I think does the same thing, and then to my powered speakers?  Basically the simplest way to get from my Avid on my Mac Studio to my powered speakers in 5.1 and preferrably with a big volume knob in between.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller