Latest post Fri, Apr 12 2024 3:26 PM by Chris Bové. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 30 2023 2:28 AM

Script Sync causing crashes

PC Windows 10
    Avid 2023.3

Whenever I'm adding script marks on the fly Avid tends to crash. I've resorted to pausing the clip after I put down a mark and continuing after saving which is taking up time.

Are there any settings I should have that'll make script syncing more efficient? 

Thanks!

• Fri, Jun 2 2023 12:29 PM In reply to

Re: Script Sync causing crashes

Hello,

Usually whenever adding anything on the fly, script marks or otherwise, issues are caused by Media Composer not handshaking properly with the OS, or a video card not keeping up. The OS is Win10, so that should be fine. The video card issue can occasionally be fixed by increasing the RAM allotted to the video card through Media Composer. 

In Settings, in the "Site" tab under "Video Memory", set this higher than the default. 

On M1 Macs, the sweet spot is limited at 12GB. However on Windows machines, you can feel free to crank this way higher. My rule of thumb is usually "Top minus 10", meaning if you have 64GB of RAM on your computer, that's the "top", and so set this to 54 GB.

------

Chris Bové
    Manager, Avid's Digital Customer Success Team
    [email protected] 

• Fri, Apr 12 2024 3:26 PM In reply to

Re: Script Sync causing crashes

Hi everyone,

UPDATE -- With continuous updates to Media Composer in 2023 and 2024, plus various codewriting in Media Composer that adheres to ever-changing protocols in macOS and Windows, I'd advise giving Media Composer less RAM resources than the "Set High" setting can usually dictate. 

I'm discussing that setting internally with product teams, and we might look into whether that setting's defaults for "set low" and "set high" are still appropriate, or whether some mild changes would be in order. 

In the meantime, I'm going to experiment with setting the slider somewhere in the middle, and see whether anything is affected negatively... both when it comes to performance of stuff inside the MC app, as well as outside of it, like Dropbox syncing, Photoshop caching, and other ancillaries.

------

Chris Bové
    Manager, Avid's Digital Customer Success Team
    [email protected] 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller