Latest post Wed, Jul 20 2022 3:30 PM by jef. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 19 2022 7:16 PM

• alara
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Madrid. Spain
    • Posts 114
    • Points 1,480

Was there a way to reframe a 4k image in an hd project in 8.0 avid version?

We shot a 4k video. We edited in a HD sequence in an 8.0 avid. Some shots need to be reframed to use just the center of the image, or to get some details. There is information in the image, but I don´t remember how to do it. Pan and zoom is only for stills, Pan and scan loses information, degrading the image. Using the frame flex tab in the source settings do not seem to help.

Any ideas from the old school?

As a teacher: Media Composer 8 software only, in a pc world. www.urjc.es And also in a MacBookPro 17 mid 2010. Mac Os 10.11.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 19 2022 10:44 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,470
    • Points 18,260

Re: Was there a way to reframe a 4k image in an hd project in 8.0 avid version?

Modify frameflex in effects mode from the timeline.

If you do it in source settings you are locked in to the same reframe for evey use of that clip.  Plus, it will not show up in the timeline untill you refresh the sequence.  (Don't remember where that command is in Avid 8.)

• Wed, Jul 20 2022 3:14 PM In reply to

• alara
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Madrid. Spain
    • Posts 114
    • Points 1,480

Thank you very much smrpix.

But I am missing something. The frameflex options do not appear in the effects window unless I have played with them before in the source settings window. And also the quality is not very good, there´s a lot of noise. I guess it is just like that.

As a teacher: Media Composer 8 software only, in a pc world. www.urjc.es And also in a MacBookPro 17 mid 2010. Mac Os 10.11.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 20 2022 3:30 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 4,020
    • Points 48,520

The real question is in which version of MC did Frameflex appear?  I can remember or find a quick answer.  Maybe Chris Bove would know?

EDIT:  Ok, Ver 7 is where Frameflex appears, so it would seem that the OP should be able to handle this.  There have been versions of Frameflex that had poor visual quality, but that is hard to keep track of.

Personally, I would think about taking the project to Resolve for a more user friendly and potentially higher quality resolution independent finish.  This does require a bit of education on the part of the finishing editor, but I would say based on Avid's recent struggles with Titler + that a modern method of intermixing resolution video files is not coming soon, if ever.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller