Latest post Sat, Aug 6 2022 8:53 PM by David Yardley. 42 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 21 2022 6:18 PM In reply to

Re: Avid media composer 2018

95% of our clients (hundreds of systems) prefer 2018.x because of familiarity. Many editors are familiar with and use 2020+ version on their home system. However, all of our clients work in a collaborative environment via Nexis storage. This means each team member must be on the same version of MC. And you need only 1 or 2 users to say "I prefer 2018" for the whole team to be in 2018.

This will eventually change. But for now, 2018 is by far the most popular version.

I use 2020+ on my PC and MBP.

MC 2022, W10, MSI X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 3080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2019, Big... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 21 2022 6:33 PM In reply to

All the editors I know personally, only about half a dozen, (two are just next door...) are using 2018.

Many are cross that when they use systems in London, they will be forced to use the later UI because the facilities there will not risk having unsupported versions.

Here is the real point though, unlike us lot, none are geeky enough to even look at the Avid forum, let alone post their frustrations on it, so bear that in mind Philip...

(Actually they are also too busy!)

D

P.S. I won't reiterate the objections already given to the new UI, but would add that the newer versions add nothing useful to us.

Symphony 2018.12.13 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 2018.12.13 OS 10.13.4 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, SNS SANmp... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 21 2022 6:56 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • PA
    • Posts 208
    • Points 2,620

100+ systems all running 2018, 3 years and counting. Whenever we hire new staff and tell them the version we're running they usually express relief. That said we are tempted to make the jump in 2022 mainly because of camera support and finishing requirements of clients. And since we are an all PC house we can continue to use the fully armed and operational Title Tool.

HP zBook 17 G3, z220, HP z240, HP z420, HP z440, HP z840, HP Z4 G4, Dell Precision 3430, Dell Precision 7810, Apple iMac i5 27-Inch (5K, Late 2015). 16GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 21 2022 7:06 PM In reply to

David Yardley:
    P.S. I won't reiterate the objections already given to the new UI, but would add that the newer versions add nothing useful to us.

I personally would prefer for clients to use 2020+. The access to ProRes, H.265, and newer OSX is a benefit to us techs. So many tech support questions can be addressed by having those 3 things.
    "I heard Avid now supports ProRes export. I don't see it."
    "Why can't I AMA to this footage"
    "Can I install the latest version of After Effects?"

There are workarounds and other solutions of course.

Some of you will hate me, but I do hope Avid EOL 2018 and force people to upgrade to 2020+. It is almost 5 years old.

MC 2022, W10, MSI X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 3080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2019, Big... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 21 2022 7:09 PM In reply to

Thank you Rory, this is great. I'll be sure to try and salvage what I can from these links.

To clarify my point which is best exemplified with a simple action. 

Clicking the X on the project window used to bring me to the project CHOICES window where I can make a new project or open a different project on a partition or the same partition. 

This no longer exists!?!?!?!? and Why first of all... but moreover, where do I find these choices in the new version? (I do know but this is a question I get as an experienced assistant)

It's not that I haven't spent time looking, but in my world I don't have time to teach people how to use a product that they should already know themselves and on top of that, there's no reason to change all the things they changed, so it is double frustrating to know for a fact that the dev's didn't give a single thought to the THOUSANDS of actual professionals who used this product. Seriously, I used to advocate for Avid on all my projects but I just don't anymore because Premiere is better for certain types of projects because of this new interface. Now with familiarity being an issue on this newest MC version, the likelyhood of actually using it when we have a "choice" is very very seldom. NEXT, Avid will stop supporting it I'm sure. The model for this type of switch is to FORCE the end user to use a product 'as is' and that is not entirely a bad thing, but I'm just concerned for the many FILM editors now... actual old dudes who cut on film and were introduced to the media composer which hasn't changed very much visually for roughly 30 years.... (been around since 1989 with tweaks along the way)

This was a software that revolutionized the industry and without warning gave us things that confuse and confound in an already time-less world that has no time because of scheduling to make sure everybody is up to speed. If you get a job like we do in Hollywood, you get it 3 days before they started needing things 5 days ago.
    Time is of the essence and MOST people fly by the seat of their pants... so it's tough for people in my position to keep having to teach people the software in the first place, LET ALONE a change in GUI so drastic that it leaves even myself questioning the WHY of things that are the way they are. 
    ANYWAY, thank you all for your help and for listening to my rant.

/rant over

• Tue, Jun 21 2022 7:33 PM In reply to

Dom Q. Silverio:
    Some of you will hate me, but I do hope Avid EOL 2018 and force people to upgrade to 2020+. It is almost 5 years old.

With the title tool on mac in its current state and as long as Avid has to iron out bugs like:

Bug Number: MCCET-4479. When moving bins in a project, it can take too long for the bin to respond and in some instances the beachball appears when moving the bin.

Bug Number: MCCET-4513. (Production Management) In some instances, you might have experienced a significant slowdown when performing an Edit While Capture.

Bug Number: MCCET-4367. Audio levels were inconsistent after performing a render and opening and closing a Bin.

Respectfully Dom, I find that suggestion the most inconsiderate I have ever read in these forums! Discontinuing support for older versions prior having a 99,x% finished new release is unacceptable in our business. 

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Tue, Jun 21 2022 8:05 PM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:
    Respectfully Dom, I find that suggestion the most inconsiderate I have ever read in these forums! Discontinuing support for older versions prior having a 99,x% finished new release is unacceptable in our business. 

I hear you. But the industry needs to move on. Apple is already preparing the successor to Monterey. And AFAIK, patching 2018 is almost done. 12.15 might be the last or close to being the last version for 2018.

The bifurcation of the Avid code was a great short term solution. In the long term, it is a burden.

• Tue, Jun 21 2022 8:08 PM In reply to

and again, respectfully.

The industry is moving on. To premier pro by Adobe.

More and more people are using it. The most people holding on to Avid are the people who used it for 30 years.

I can't make it more clear than that.

• Tue, Jun 21 2022 8:25 PM In reply to

drjonfrockit:

and again, respectfully.

The industry is moving on. To premier pro by Adobe.

More and more people are using it. The most people holding on to Avid are the people who used it for 30 years.

I can't make it more clear than that.

Out of hundreds of editors we work with, a large portion is under 30. Majority is under 45. I would say 20% - 25% is over 45. All assistant and junior editors are all under 30 with most under 25.

2 years ago, we had more Premiere users than we do today. This is even with the addition of the Avid-like Adobe Production project sharing workflow (which is really just Premiere projects in one folder).

One man shops and smaller deployments (corporate, development, etc.) had always been varied. Many were FCP 7 and Adobe. With FCP 7 being gone, many have migrated to FCP X but a majority probably moved to Adobe.

Unless Adobe really changes how they do project sharing, the amount of TV and film users in a collaborative environment will not change.

• Tue, Jun 21 2022 8:34 PM In reply to

drjonfrockit:

can you make it look like this?
    http://earthless.com/mediacomposer

Hey drjonfrockit, 

No - I cannot. The texture is a little different (more flat, less contrast) in the 2019+ versions. 

We do however have the ability to make small adjustments that can restore muscle memory from previous versions. Things like using the project window instead of the bin container sidebar. Have a look at Rory's response for more detail.

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Sibelius Artist 22022.7

• Tue, Jun 21 2022 8:35 PM In reply to

Dom Q. Silverio:

95% of our clients (hundreds of systems) prefer 2018.x because of familiarity. Many editors are familiar with and use 2020+ version on their home system. However, all of our clients work in a collaborative environment via Nexis storage. This means each team member must be on the same version of MC. And you need only 1 or 2 users to say "I prefer 2018" for the whole team to be in 2018.

This will eventually change. But for now, 2018 is by far the most popular version.

I use 2020+ on my PC and MBP.

I assumed this was the case. 

Thanks for contributing

Editing Movie Magic.

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Sibelius Artist 22022.7

• Tue, Jun 21 2022 8:42 PM In reply to

Dom Q. Silverio:
    But the industry needs to move on.

2018.12.15 was is and will always be the last 2018 version. no more updates/development! That 100% clear and acceptable.

But that doesn't mean end of support or an end to compatibility testing with Mediacentral production. And Avid has confirmed that customers paying for support will keep receiving it for the 2018.12.15 version.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Tue, Jun 21 2022 8:43 PM In reply to

David Yardley:

Many are cross that when they use systems in London, they will be forced to use the later UI because the facilities there will not risk having unsupported versions.

Oh yeah I know. 

Splice post, Fifty Fifty post, Platform post, Clear cut - are all moving to 2019+ soon. Lots of editors I speak to at the BFE meetings really don't like the interface change.

Fifty Fifty where I do some work has about 70% of their suites running 2020.12 and 30% running 2018. 

I was lucky enough to learn Avid in 2019... so I have never used 2018 in a professional capacity, however, to someone who has used the legacy interface for a while, the immediate reaction is always: "I hate it, why did they have to change this." and like Jeroen mentioned, why upgrade if the new interface has bugs and performance issues. I do find however that once they take the time to learn and understand the interface, they won't go back.

Editing Movie Magic.

• Tue, Jun 21 2022 8:46 PM In reply to

Dom Q. Silverio:

David Yardley:

Well, the base version is 5 years old, but 2018.12.5 isn't. 

I don't like 2018 because as I say I haven't used it very much, and dislike it in comparison to what we have now.

Editing Movie Magic.

• Tue, Jun 21 2022 8:48 PM In reply to

drjonfrockit:

Clicking the X on the project window used to bring me to the project CHOICES window where I can make a new project or open a different project on a partition or the same partition. 

shortcut: Control + Shift + W to close your project and open the project selection window 

Editing Movie Magic.

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller