Latest post Fri, Jun 10 2022 8:39 PM by Philip Kapadia. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 10 2022 12:10 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 243
    • Points 3,475

Avid MC effects (video)

After six years on MC I am still trying to understand the logic behind the way the application and editing of effects is arranged.

Ut seems that there is an unnecessary limit to which effects attributes are available under each effect option - for instance, the Avid Pan & Scan effect - which is the only one that can handle oversize images - allows for scale and position - but not rotate, and the cropping is also limited by not being able to rotate the angle of the crop/wipe.

Also blur effects are ok but not impressive, and the ability to combine effects seems limited - and even where possible - timeconsuming. Soft edges are really difficult to set - often the soften is applied to the edge of the source, and not the edge of the screen (which might be tighter is the effect inlcudes size manipulation).

For someone like me who spent years working with hardware vision mixers, where with careful planning almost anything was possible, MC seems to have had its effects designed by a team that have never used a vision mixer. (Sorry if they have, but it does look that way).

Precise navigating between keyframes in the FX editor is far harder than in mu old Liquid system, which had a really intuitive effects editor.

I have raised some of this before, only to reap the "go to Boris contimuim" or After effects reply - but surely the basic combination of 2D and 3D effects - static and transitions - should work well before we have to buy add-ons?

When I fiorst opened MC back in 2014 I thought - "what an amazing selection of effects it has" but as I dug deeper into the menus I discover that most of them are limited versions of the same parameters with very illogical limitations. Am I the only editor with this gripe? :)

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-4650 8-core HT 2.6GHz CPU with 32GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Fri, Jun 10 2022 1:43 PM In reply to

Re: Avid MC effects (video)

Without getting deep into the weeds, the effects in Media Composer have been added to it over decades rather than designed all at once for a brand new NLE. Some of them, when added, were able to include every parameter while others were not. That's why they don't all work the same way, don't often combine well with each other, and can be complicated to arrange.

Adrian Redmond:
    Am I the only editor with this gripe?

No.

Adrian Redmond:
    I have raised some of this before, only to reap the "go to Boris contimuim" or After effects reply - but surely the basic combination of 2D and 3D effects - static and transitions - should work well before we have to buy add-ons?

The philosophy seems to have waxed and waned between 'MC should be able to do everything' and 'MC is for editing; use other programs to do effects/DVDs/Titles/file creation/etc'. You get what you get depending on where we are in the cycle.

[edited to add] Also, one of the big virtues of Media Composer is you can open an old project from years ago in a current version of Media Composer. (I know there are caveats.) If Avid rewrites the entire effects architecture to make it work perfectly today, it would impact that.

Media Composer 2022.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Jun 10 2022 1:56 PM In reply to

Any effect that is (promoted to) "3D" is actually from the Pinnacle Alladin vision mixer (a computer with a breakout box). So those ones aren't unlike any vision mixer. 
    That said, it is all very 1997. 

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 10 2022 5:14 PM In reply to

Pglue, Pizza Box, Hamburger Menu, the WeightLifter... ain't it quaint? It's part of the charm.

Adrian Redmond:
    the Avid Pan & Scan effect - which is the only one that can handle oversize images - allows for scale and position - but not rotate, and the cropping is also limited by not being able to rotate the angle of the crop/wipe.

I think you mean Avid Pan & Zoom...

I was hungry for that Rotate option on oversize stills too, but didn't want to use FrameFlex to do it. So I just used our friendly 3D Warp effect after flipping my HD project into an 8K... and exported the results in 8K resolution, then  I imported that back into my HD project, where it looked to my eyes, almost as good as P&Z was offering. Judge for yourself. 

As for your sideways crop-- that sounds like an Animatte or Paint FX crop would be your choice, if staying in MC. I cannot visualize what you are hoping to see-- what's seen behind the criss-cross crop?

(If your system is still on v8... you may not have access to those higher resolution projects... I forget which version that started in)

A few years back, I located a 1/2 price deal on the already inexpensive Boris Perspective Unit which has Pan & Zoom FX, including Rotate. Problem solved. I still export its results and re-import, just because I want to maintain maximum collaborability (tm) in case the Boris plug-in is not present on a different computer....in the future.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller for silky smooth playback; Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch; AJA i/o Express with... [view my complete system specs]

-Telegram!

• Fri, Jun 10 2022 8:39 PM In reply to

I was told the second PIP effect was a legacy thing from the pizza box.

With Boris sapphire, continuum and mocha, you get a powerful online editing toolset... MC works really well. 

Having said that I do agree some things are unintuitive. There are a lot of things I thought I couldn't do in Avid until I saw what my friend Angus made with Avid + Boris: https://youtu.be/d_FUtigXaPI

Once you take the time to learn it you'll be supprised with what you can do in the box.

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Sibelius Artist 22022.7

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller