Latest post Wed, Jun 8 2022 11:27 AM by Oh, the horror etc.. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 7 2022 2:52 PM

Using Subcap or Timecode Generator instead of Titler+ suggest workaround

Hi All

Because Titler+ is crashing our systems we are using Subcap for simple directional titles. I do not want to use a third party software to create and import titles. That is not an option as we need to send them around and I do not want to send media files only sequences.

I have figured out the basics of creating text in subcap and timecode generator but I want to fill the entire frame with black while leaving video on tracks below not showing - like when you turn off the V on the old title tool (which I do not have). How do I make the black bounding box on the subcap or timecode text box full frame while keeping the text the size I want ? I would rather not use unintantional splices and disable video. This wold be a pain in the behind and i cannot figure out how to do it anyways. As we all know the 32 bit legacy title tool is not available on my 64 bit Mac so this is our workaround. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks All

• Tue, Jun 7 2022 3:40 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 920
    • Points 11,770

Re: Using Subcap or Timecode Generator instead of Titler+ suggest workaround

I don't think you can do this with the subcap tool as it doesn't have tools to draw shapes.

To be fair it was always meant to be for subtitling and not as a general titling tool.

I've never tried to make the bounding box so big as to fill the screen - do the controls not allow you to go this large?

The only other thing I can think of is to use something like the Boris Continuum AVX plugins. To buy a full licence is quite expensive, but I believe you can just purchase (or possibly rent) the 3D titles unit - It may be called the 3D Object Unit.

It's a bit of a sledgehammer-to-crack-a-walnut, since you're using a very capable titling program to create simple titles!

If Titler+ is crashing your system this could be a bug that's been fixed in a more recent update.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 7 2022 3:47 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 4,020
    • Points 48,520

For a variety of reasons I always have a clip of "real black" available. This can made many different ways and used in lots of projects. You could put this between your vid and text and crop to taste. 

By "real black" I mean make a frame of black in some tool. Link or import into Avid making sure it's level is correct and it's filling the frame. Make a sequence of it 30 or so seconds long. Mixdown to a useful codec. Use as needed.  

Jef 

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Tue, Jun 7 2022 3:49 PM In reply to

I am using 2022.4 and I cannot tell my coulleaugues what to use. Boris is a third party thing I amnot prepared to pay for to do something as alementary as this.This crashing of Titler+ is well documented.

Any thoughts on how to do this the TC generator ?

Make avid great again lol. I don't mean that just frustrated. I am only trying to make slates that are direction to our VFX department and it is becoming unnecessarily difficult. Not what I expect from such advanced software. This is taking the fun out of work.

Thanks

• Tue, Jun 7 2022 4:06 PM In reply to

I just thought of that seconds before your suggestion came through. Thanks. Shame it uses up a video track but it will work. 

Thanks much for your suggestion.

• Wed, Jun 8 2022 8:43 AM In reply to

Oh, the horror etc.:

Shame it uses up a video track

This workaround fully covers on one track, on my system. Note the Display 4 parameters and the timeline on right. Did you try it on Mac?

-Telegram!

• Wed, Jun 8 2022 8:46 AM In reply to

Oh, the horror etc.:

Did now. Works great thanks.

Glad to hear it, etc.

-Telegram!

• Wed, Jun 8 2022 11:27 AM In reply to

Did now. Works great thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller