Latest post Thu, May 12 2022 7:13 PM by knejmann. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 9 2022 1:47 AM

Avid changes look of LUT

Hey everyone, I have some Canon Log Footage I am trying to get ready to transcode. The footage was shot flat and I wanted to add a LUT to the footage. I grabbed the Canon LUT from the Canon website and applied it. After comparing the look to the stills the DP gave it looked completely off! To test that it wasn't the LUT, I added the same footage to Premiere and the LUT looked great. It seems to me that Avid is not interpreting the LUT correctly. I am not sure if there are settings I need to change in Avid or what to do next. Any help would be appreciated!

Operating System Windows 10 Pro 64-bit CPU Intel Core i7 8700K @ 3.70GH Coffee Lake 14nm Technology RAM 32.0GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1599MHz... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Mon, May 9 2022 1:52 PM In reply to

Re: Avid changes look of LUT

Can you make sure that you're using the correct cannon LUT for your camera?

Maybe ask the DP what lut he/she used?

Is it the same lut in premiere that you've applied to Avid? Send a screenshot of your source settings > colour encoding in Media Composer. 

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

• Mon, May 9 2022 2:05 PM In reply to

Hey, I am using the correct LUT.  I tried using the LUT supplied by the DP and the Canon LUTs provided on their website. 

Here are the cameras being used:

Camera A:  Canon C500 Mark II  Canon Log 3 Camera B:  Canon C300 Mark III Canon Log 3  Camera C:  Canon C70  Canon Log 3 Using the same LUTs I get very different results, here are some screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/duPzwz1 Source Color Range in Avid is set full color range
    Operating System Windows 10 Pro 64-bit CPU Intel Core i7 8700K @ 3.70GH Coffee Lake 14nm Technology RAM 32.0GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1599MHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 9 2022 2:13 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • PA
    • Posts 204
    • Points 2,590

Make sure you are not stacking LUTs. If there were any LUTs (even just a full range to 709) already on the footage when you added the LUT they will stack not replace. In the Source Settings > Color Encoding there should be only one Color Transformation listed when only one LUT is applied.

Also, are you applying the LUT through Source Settings or are you applying the LUT through Color LUT plug-in?

HP zBook 17 G3, z220, HP z240, HP z420, HP z440, HP z840, HP Z4 G4, Dell Precision 3430, Dell Precision 7810, Apple iMac i5 27-Inch (5K, Late 2015). 16GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 9 2022 2:19 PM In reply to

There are no color transformations on the footage at all.  As for the LUT I am applying it through the source settungs.  What is the color LUT plug-in, have not used that before.

• Mon, May 9 2022 5:51 PM In reply to

Are you sure you are monitoring correctly (709 legal vs full range)? Are you evaluating on a computer monitor or on a PGM monitor?

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 9 2022 6:46 PM In reply to

I am evaluating on computer monitor.  How would I check to see how I am monitoring in 709 or Full Range.

• Tue, May 10 2022 12:28 AM In reply to

Right-click on your source and/or record monitor, choose Display Color Space, and set it to sRGB. What that does is add a display LUT that compensates for the difference between Rec 709 legal video and an sRGB computer monitor. It makes quite a difference when it comes to contrast.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 12 2022 7:13 PM In reply to

• knejmann
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Århus, Denmark
    • Posts 280
    • Points 3,150

Recently I did a test with a Sony FS-7 set to record S-log3.cine.

Using the same motive, light and apature I checked the level of the SDI output from the camera on a waveform monitor. I recorded a few seconds and brought the file into Media Composer and Resolve. Checked the SDI output, and the levels from both programs were the same as from the camera (no color adapters applied in MC).

Then I made an adjustment in Reaolve and exported it as a LUT. Made a note of the waveform.

Loaded the LUT into the FS7 and used it as a monitor LUT on the SDI output. Waveform was the same as from Resolve.

Then I applied the LUT to the clip in Media Compiser - and the waveform was off! After poking around a bit it turned out that MC needs an adapter to scale "full to legal" BEFORE the LUT. With that in place I got the expected output on the waveform monitor.

This is in Media Composer 2020.12.6 and a timeline set to Rec.709. I don't know if this is how it has always worked. Not if I should call it a bug or a feature :-/

Media Composer 2020.12.6 - Windows 10 - Dell 8520 - Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K - Interplay and NEXIS storage - Avid Artist Color. [view my complete system specs]

Kåre Nejmann

Danish Broadcasting Corporation - DR
    Aarhus, Denmark 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller