Latest post Sat, Jun 25 2022 10:28 AM by ChrisH. 56 replies.
Page 4 of 4 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 19 2022 7:58 AM In reply to

Re: Titler+ in Media Composer 2022.4

Hi Brandon, 

2022.4 wasn't advertised at all to have completely fixed the titler. The fix will come in the form of many successive updates this year. From what I hear, Avid is prioritizing this issue for the time being.

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Sibelius Artist 22022.7

• Thu, May 19 2022 1:46 PM In reply to

• Brandon Key
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Irvine, CA
    • Posts 33
    • Points 535

Yes, but they have been saying they have been prioritizing it for a couple of years now.  Kate Ketcham's post from September 1, 2020 said "We have heard you loud and clear!"  (https://community.avid.com/forums/t/200017.aspx ) Well evidently they are still deaf.

It just seems like they are going backwards on software development.  2018 was the last version of MC that really worked reliably.  I still use that on projects that have to be on Avid, such as legacy projects that keep coming back.  But with 2022.4 I can't even drag and drop clips to import them anymore.  And having to AMA and transcode everything is just not a good solution.  

Resolve is finally at a place where it's editor is light years above Media Composer.  Simple things like beiing able to trim or mix audio while the sequence is playing are things that I have been asking Avid for for years.  The integration between the editor, Color, and Fusion is something that Avid and Adobe can only dream about.  They seem to have a large developer pool that jumps on problems quickly and continues to revise the product every month.  For me it just makes to switch over now.

I will miss PhraseFind and ScriptSync, but I imagine that resolve will be adding those types of features soon as more MC editors jump ship and keep asking for them.

MC Ultimate 2022.4 running on a MacMini M1 OSX 12.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 20 2022 12:57 PM In reply to

Telegram!:

I'd like all or some of the words/lettering from a Title FX to automatically appear in Script View after dragging the Title to a Bin. Perhaps that would make each Title effect searchable, too?

Link to original: https://community.avid.com/forums/p/205771/921340.aspx#921340

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Sibelius Artist 22022.7

• Mon, May 30 2022 12:50 PM In reply to

• AvidElad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2018
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid Motion Graphics

Hi Josephius and thanks for the detailed report.

I've added comments inline of your quote below.

Thanks,

Elad

Josephius:

Heyo, long-time lurker, first time poster!  Wanted to get in some feedback for 22.4 for ya'll since the Titler+ updates were the big draw for me.  I'm excited to see more improvements in the coming months as well!

Pro:

-New UI on the floating tool is A+.  Much more cohesive, makes a lot more sense.  And the re-org'd layout in the effect editor is a very good step in the right direction.

Elad: thanks - happy to hear that the changes are noticed and helpful.

-Performance is improved when typing out a title.  Typing out no longer t a k e s  f o r e v e r  t o  r e g i s t e r.  Feels much snappier.  Rad!

Elad: thanks - more performance improvements will be followed in the next versions.

Con:

-Anchor points still cause a lot of confusing behavior.  They default to being placed in the lower left-ish of any text box, making expected rotation/scaling keyframe behave wildly.  From what I can tell in the manual, it seems like its expected to default to the center of any text box, which makes total sense, but in practice it doesn't seem to behave as such.  There doesn't seem to be any position snapping when using the red cross-arrow on the anchor point, meaning I can't attach them to the center of a box.  And when they're turned off in the effect editor they default to being in the far top left of the composer window, including after every time I move the text box around.  I would assume un-checking that box would default it back to center of box, but it doesn't seem like that's how it's supposed to work?  Compounding it with keyframes to try to create intricate moves/rotations creates further odd and unexpected behaviors.  The "Hide Anchor Point" button also works only intermittently.  I tried all of this on both new and old user settings/new and old projects after a clean uninstall/install of the 22.4 version. Maybe it's just me?

The workaround I've found is:

1. Center a text box both vertically and horizontally
    2. Manually set the horizontal value of an anchor point in the effect editor to be 480
    3. Manually set the vertical value of an anchor point in the effect editor to be 270

This makes rotation and scaling behave much more as expected.

(I'm not sure if these numbers only apply to a 1080p project, but if anything I feel like they'd belong more in a 480p project, no?)

Interestingly, new recatangles and ellipses have their anchor points default to the center correctly.  The issue only seems to happen with text boxes.

Elad: Thanks, in the next version we have a fix that will tie the anchor point to the selected text justification. meaning, that when text is justified left, the anchor point will be in the bottom left corner (default). if the text will be center justified, the anchor point will be located in the bottom center and right justify will place the anchor point on the bottom right corner. this should help you adjust it easily as you wish - this behavior is common with other text tools available on the market.

Confused:

-How are the Align Center/Align Horizontal Center buttons and the Align Center/Align Vertical Center buttons different?  Both seem to snap boxes to the center for H or V, but I don't see an immediate difference in how they do that.

Elad: you are correct until you'll try to use it with multiple objects selected. in that scenario, you'll see that the H/V center will align the multiple relative to each other, while the H/V screen center will align them relative to the frame.

-Layers swap numbers upon new text boxes being generated or being moved between layers.  I begin with a text box, it is named Layer 1.  I create another text box, that new one is now Layer 1 and my first box is now Layer 2.  I create a third text box, it's called Layer 1, the second text is Layer 2, the first text is Layer 3.  I create a fourth text box, it's called Layer 1, the third text is called Layer 2, the second text box is Layer 3 and the first text box is Layer 4. I understand that the layer numbering is trying to illustrate the order of the layers from front to back, with 1 in the front and (in this example) 4 in the back, and that each newly created text box is placed at the front.  But changing up the names on the fly while not giving me random access to the parameters of all of my layers at one time is difficult to juggle in my brain. I do have a suggestion below, however~

Elad: Following the stabilization of T+ functionality and performance we have already plans to add layers managment tools that will address exactly what you are describing. although the planned design is not exactly as you've suggested below, we'll take that into consideration. thanks.

Speaking of which, the buttons for selecting different layers seems odd to me.  The |<-  button makes me think I'm going to the previous event, while the ->| button makes me think I'm going to the next event, or something in horizontal X space, not front to back Z space.  Maybe something more like 3D arrows that point away or towards the user?  Just a thought.

Would love to see:

-A dock-able Titler+ tool window.  The floating window offers a nice UI, but being unable to dock it is annoying.  Hot-keying the T+ button is a decent compromise, but the window is still prone to appearing in unwanted spots this way.  I've read arguments on these forums about folding the Titler+ UI and tools into the effect editor which I'm only 50/50 on.  The organization of tools in the floating window is much more pleasing and easy to read, but the effect editor is necessary for any sort of keyframing.  This keeps thing in distinct and separate "title creation" and "keyframe manipulation" areas which is kind of nice for me, personally.  A dock-able window would at least be easier to customize as desired.

Elad: thanks, dockable dashboard is indeed part of our plans and in the backlog/

-Better layer management.  The UI in the effect editor for swapping layers isn't easy to understand using the current drop down, and it means that I can't see keyframes for Layer 1 while I'm working on Layer 2.  This is particularly frustrating if I want to time a keyframe for 1 based on 2's other movements. Now that the organization of parameters in the effects editor is much more sensible, maybe each layer can get its own drop-down?  Similar to how multiple effects on a clip each have their own drop-down?  This way I'd be able to see Layers 1-4 all at the same time and access each of their parameters randomly.  Maybe even the ability to drag them up/down in the order and relate to their placement of front/back?  I believe this would also alleviate a lot of my confusion with the Layers naming conventions if I could easily see where all of my edits and keyframes went in the effect editor. 

Elad: commented above.

• Mon, May 30 2022 7:29 PM In reply to

• Josephius
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 27 2022
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

Happy to provide feedback, thanks for the responses!  Love, love, love all of it.

AvidElad:
    you are correct until you'll try to use it with multiple objects selected. in that scenario, you'll see that the H/V center will align the multiple relative to each other, while the H/V screen center will align them relative to the frame.

A-HA!  Okay, yup, got it, makes total sense.

AvidElad:
    in the next version we have a fix that will tie the anchor point to the selected text justification. meaning, that when text is justified left, the anchor point will be in the bottom left corner (default). if the text will be center justified, the anchor point will be located in the bottom center and right justify will place the anchor point on the bottom right corner. this should help you adjust it easily as you wish - this behavior is common with other text tools available on the market.

That sounds better, but will I have the ability to pin the anchor point to the smack-dab, exact center of a text window, including vertically?  I find myself needing center-rotation much more than rotating around as if on the tangent-edge of a wheel.  I need rotation in place more than revolution around the bottom - helicopter blades, not the hands of a clock, so to speak.

What if there was vertical alignment for text, as well as horizontal?  Then it could tie it to that alignment as well, in keeping with your plans, no?

AvidElad:
    Following the stabilization of T+ functionality and performance we have already plans to add layers managment tools that will address exactly what you are describing. although the planned design is not exactly as you've suggested below, we'll take that into consideration.

Cool, can't wait to see it!  And yeah I know I'm not the one designing this, so I totally understand, just wanted to provide a constructive-ish idea.

Thanks, Elad!

• Thu, Jun 2 2022 4:45 AM In reply to

mcdannyj:
    When I select text and try to change the color though? I get locked out of doing anything. I can't even quit the app.

I experienced this Color picker freeze on PC, v2022.4. I found however that when I used Task Manager and spun down the Avid Editor section, there was something I could separately "End Task" on which then un-froze the Color Picker, allowing me to Save Project and I did not need to reboot. It's a mystery.

Avid Out of proc Quicktime App (32 bit).

Perhaps you can spot this too, if you get another Color Picker freeze on Mac.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller for silky smooth playback; Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch; AJA i/o Express with... [view my complete system specs]

-Telegram!

• Sun, Jun 12 2022 10:57 AM In reply to

• AvidElad
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55
    • Avid Employee

Josephius:

That sounds better, but will I have the ability to pin the anchor point to the smack-dab, exact center of a text window, including vertically?  I find myself needing center-rotation much more than rotating around as if on the tangent-edge of a wheel.  I need rotation in place more than revolution around the bottom - helicopter blades, not the hands of a clock, so to speak.

What if there was vertical alignment for text, as well as horizontal?  Then it could tie it to that alignment as well, in keeping with your plans, no?

With center justify, you'll have the anchor point at the bottom center. we do have plans to have the anchor point snap to center (or corners) if you modify it manually, but that's not in the immidiate future.

using the vertical justification options is an intresting idea - i'll run this with engineering. Thanks!

Thanks,

Elad

• Sun, Jun 12 2022 10:58 AM In reply to

• AvidElad
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55
    • Avid Employee

Telegram!:

mcdannyj:
    When I select text and try to change the color though? I get locked out of doing anything. I can't even quit the app.

I experienced this Color picker freeze on PC, v2022.4. I found however that when I used Task Manager and spun down the Avid Editor section, there was something I could separately "End Task" on which then un-froze the Color Picker, allowing me to Save Project and I did not need to reboot. It's a mystery.

Avid Out of proc Quicktime App (32 bit).

Perhaps you can spot this too, if you get another Color Picker freeze on Mac.

Thanks Telegram!

Engineering are investigating this issue to be fixed with the next release - this information is helpful, thanks!

Elad

• Sun, Jun 12 2022 11:01 AM In reply to

This maybe me being daft. But rather than writing code, testing on users, adapting the UX, modifying the code, and then modifying the UX over and over again.

Wouldn't it make sense to define the UX each and every part of it. How the UI reflects that UX.

Then write code that re produces that UI and the UX.

I even have a perfect UX as a model.

Just install the legacy Title tool on a Windows system.

See how that works and the write code that reproduces it. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

• Sun, Jun 12 2022 3:44 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

This maybe me being daft. But rather than writing code, testing on users, adapting the UX, modifying the code, and then modifying the UX over and over again.

Wouldn't it make sense to define the UX each and every part of it. How the UI reflects that UX.

Makes sense to me.

Media Composer 2022.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jun 12 2022 10:05 PM In reply to

camoscato:

Pat Horridge:

Makes sense to me.

No guys, you've got it all backwards. Wouldn't it be much better to take something everybody hates then slowly eek out tiny piece by piece changes over a period of many years until everyone loses their minds? By the time Avid gets this tool right, humanity will have transcended to a higher plane of existence and have no need for titles as we're now all just glowing white orbs of pure energy. It's honestly mind boggling how long this is taking?!

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2021.12 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 25 2022 10:28 AM In reply to

• ChrisH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 4 2008
    • London
    • Posts 116
    • Points 1,460

I would love the ability to assign a clip name, tape name and time code to a titler+ Segment clip line you could with the old title tool. The ability to create EDLs with proper traceable time codes is such a useful workflow for

many of us scripted in film and tv. Many of us have built FileMaker databases over many years and projects around this feature!

cheers!

Work: Freelance, so usually a recent-ish Media Composer and ISIS/Unity Home: MC8.x, OS 10.10.5, 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core i7, Flash HDD... [view my complete system specs]
Page 4 of 4 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller