Latest post Sat, Jun 25 2022 10:28 AM by ChrisH. 56 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 2 2022 5:37 PM In reply to

• Josephius
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 27 2022
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

Re: Titler+ in Media Composer 2022.4

Chris, I suspect it's something to do with Jeff's 2nd monitor not acting as a Host Panel display.  If it's just one, big, floating tool window with the Composer and Timeline tools tabbed together, then Jeff's "disappearing" T+ window is behaving just as any of the other tools windows in MC would: whichever window you click on comes to the front.  However, Main Displays that act as Host Panels are perpetually kept as the furthest-back window, so all other tools will always float in front of them, like what Jeff's seeing by putting things on the other display. See my earlier post for details.

• Fri, May 6 2022 11:21 AM In reply to

Here's the situation in the 2022.4. Works well in 2021.12.2. There's clearly something wrong in this tool guys. I hope you'll find a solution (a real one) as soon as possible.

Mac Studio 64GB M1 Max 12.3.1

• Sat, May 14 2022 3:49 PM In reply to

I was thrilled to discover many, many new problems with Titler+ in 2022.4.   All of my existing Titler+ titles, which I'd struggled so hard to make over the past year in various versions of MC 2021.x displayed fascinating new abilities.

-When you select a title and click to enter the Titler+ tool, the title disappears!   Just...disappears!

-Some of my titles, if left justified, lose the first character on each line - I thought this was great, but disappointed to see the characters reappear when the title was center or right justified!

-It's cool to see Titler+ making any new text added to an existing title always be in Arial Bold, and at a random font size, regardless of how the rest of the title is set.

-Delighted to see that clicking on the colour picker still causes MC to crash!

-I was thrilled to see that the Titler+ edit window still appears in completely random locations on either of my screens every time I open it, or sometimes not at all, requiring a restart.

- my director was so psyched to see characters randomly not incuded in my output, and I didn't mind having to get up early on the weekend to have to re-output and then check every single lower third in a feature docutmentary.

All told - great work guys, rock on.   Best titler in the world, and an amazing acheivement in 1985 that this can do so much.

(Seriously though, your work to fix things cannot proceed fast enough.  Thanks for what you've done, but it's not enough - yet).

The above happened on macOS 12.3.1, MC 2022.4

MBP 2020, 2.5Ghz 8 Core, 64GB RAM, 8GB VRAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 15 2022 8:55 PM In reply to

Hey Philip, 

Sorry to hear that these issues still persist in Media Composer 2022.4

Philip Owens:

I didn't mind having to get up early on the weekend to have to re-output and then check every single lower third in a feature docutmentary.

My advice for long form editors wanting a titling solution has always been to try to avoid the tool completely. If you're on windows, simply use the Legacy titler. If on MAC - either downgrade your OS prior to Catalina where the legacy title tool will run, or use the free version of resolve to render out titles. 

If you could, create a support case: https://www.avid.com/learn-and-support/contact-support

The more we log, suggest, and scream, the better this tool will become.

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

• Sun, May 15 2022 9:50 PM In reply to

Philip Kapadia:

If you could, create a support case: https://www.avid.com/learn-and-support/contact-support

The more we log, suggest, and scream, the better this tool will become.

Already done!

• Sun, May 15 2022 10:31 PM In reply to

Did they log these as bugs? If they don't: send me the support case number.

Editing Movie Magic.

• Sun, May 15 2022 11:40 PM In reply to

Philip Kapadia:

Did they log these as bugs? If they don't: send me the support case number.

I hope they did - case #04424598.  I sent two videos showing multiple problems, including while I was trying to demonstrate one of them, a complete crash to desktop.   Nice timing!

• Mon, May 16 2022 10:22 AM In reply to

Did they say they logged it?

I don't work for Avid so I can't view your support case, but I can follow it up with people who do work there to make sure it is logged. 

Editing Movie Magic.

• Mon, May 16 2022 3:10 PM In reply to

Philip Kapadia:

Did they say they logged it?

I don't work for Avid so I can't view your support case, but I can follow it up with people who do work there to make sure it is logged. 

So far, all I've got is the usual "When did it last work?  Have you created a new user profile" response, whch always annoys, but I understand.

• Mon, May 16 2022 3:30 PM In reply to

• JamesVibe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 7 2008
    • Posts 31
    • Points 365

OMG...WTF AVID???   Its 2022 - and STILL you can't figure out how to give us simple, easy workflow with titles???   Not only that - there are no templates online compared to the ones for Premier Pro.    So embrassing.   Im amazed.  Every year - avid says something better is coming....but it NEVER does!   Not for 20+ years has produced a good titler.  Now people with no editing experience what-so-ever download amazing modern lower thirds for Premier and avid editors just sit back and shake their heads...... 

Seriously Avid - concentrate all your resources to make a superior titler ......

• Mon, May 16 2022 5:59 PM In reply to

Philip Owens:
    which always annoys, but I understand.

And I don't understand! It doesn't happen very often that Avid employees, typically one of the customer advocates, writes a 'mea culpa' message. These messages don't solve the technical issues but mutual acknowledgement of the current status quo at least makes you believe we agree on the roadmap forward, however bumpy or fast/slow it may be... and then you open a case.. and you fall back into a business as usual.

'When did it last work?' If in 2022 you haven't understood that yourself Avid... 

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, May 17 2022 12:10 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 4,004
    • Points 48,325

Philip Kapadia:

My advice for long form editors wanting a titling solution has always been to try to avoid the tool completely. If you're on windows, simply use the Legacy titler. If on MAC - either downgrade your OS prior to Catalina where the legacy title tool will run, or use the free version of resolve to render out titles. 

Personally, I have not had great luck with Resolve's title tool when it comes to intelligent layout.  I think Fusion Free (tough learning curve) or Gimp might be a better.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Tue, May 17 2022 1:20 PM In reply to

jef:

Philip Kapadia:

Personally, I have not had great luck with Resolve's title tool when it comes to intelligent layout.  I think Fusion Free (tough learning curve) or Gimp might be a better.

Jef

Yeah, I use Fusion for my Titles on longer projects. Worth learning I think and more affordable than After Effects.

Not as difficult as it seems to create a relatively simple animated lower third. 

Gimp is another great alternative I guess.

Editing Movie Magic.

• Tue, May 17 2022 1:51 PM In reply to

Philip Kapadia:

jef:

Philip Kapadia:

Jef

Yeah, I use Fusion for my Titles on longer projects. Worth learning I think and more affordable than After Effects.

Not as difficult as it seems to create a relatively simple animated lower third. 

Gimp is another great alternative I guess.

Today I was playing with the Boris Title Studio that comes with Continuum. Having never even opened the UI before, in a couple of minutes I was able to make a massively overcomplicated 3d extruded title that bounced all over the screen for 30 seconds. I put it in my timeline and layered some other silly crap under it (a moving lens flare and a collection of laser beams; I'm a minimalist). I thought all that would take at least a couple of minutes to render, but it finished before I could distract myself with my phone.

TL;DR - Title Studio is a good titler and well worth it as part of BCC.

Media Composer 2022.4 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, May 18 2022 11:40 PM In reply to

• Brandon Key
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Irvine, CA
    • Posts 33
    • Points 535

Here's my feedback:  I still don't understand how this thing works.  It startes off fine, I add the effect and create my text, choosing options from the little dashboard that pops up.  But if I want to go back and change something on that title it all goes to hell.  What happened to the dashboard?  It disappears when you go back to edit the title.  And if you add another line of text the original text disappears when you close out of effects mode!  Rediculous.  

Avid, you've had 3 years to get this titler right and it still doesn't work.  How is that possible?

After being a loyal Avid user for 26 years I am calling it quits and moving over to Resolve for good!  I had given you one more chance to get it right with this latest version, but you disappointed me once again.

MC Ultimate 2022.4 running on a MacMini M1 OSX 12.4 [view my complete system specs]
Page 3 of 4 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller