Latest post Tue, Mar 15 2022 3:09 PM by Robb Harriss. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 13 2022 8:10 PM

• Robb Harriss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 2 2013
    • Minnesota
    • Posts 64
    • Points 685

Anyone else using Catdv with MC and DNx files?

Anyone else using CatDV for cataloging? I've been on it for years and now have a problem playing back DNxHD or DNxHR footage brought in from Avid. Used to work. We've gone through several versions of CatDV, from Pro with MXF Option all the way to Pegasus. Now on both Big Sur and Catalina my Avid media won't play. Just get a can't open error message. Still works on the box running High Sierra. Just wondering if anyone has direct experience with this and what the fix might be. Yes, question is out to tech support but direct experience in the field is often much better.

Thanks 

Primary: MC 2018.12.3 on a Mac Pro 2013, 32 GB Ram, OS 10.13.6, Thunderbolt raids for media and misc other storage. Dual Monitors (Apple 23" cinema... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 14 2022 10:03 AM In reply to

Re: Anyone else using Catdv with MC and DNx files?

This sounds like lack of Avid codec support. 

Since Catalina Apple has no 32 bit support so none of the older Codecs work.

Have you tried installing the latest Avid codec pack?

Even then will CATDV support that? 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

• Mon, Mar 14 2022 3:19 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • PA
    • Posts 204
    • Points 2,590

Do you have Apple's Pro Video codecs installed?

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2050?locale=en_US

Pro Video Formats package provides support for the following codecs that are used in professional video workflows:        

• Avid DNxHD® / Avid DNxHR® decoder
    HP zBook 17 G3, z220, HP z240, HP z420, HP z440, HP z840, HP Z4 G4, Dell Precision 3430, Dell Precision 7810, Apple iMac i5 27-Inch (5K, Late 2015). 16GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 14 2022 10:00 PM In reply to

• Robb Harriss
    • Not Ranked
    • Minnesota
    • Posts 64
    • Points 685

sure sounds like it. I still swear that I had it running on Catalina before upgrading this machine to Big Sur. And everything else plays the DNx files just fne. I use Screen as my standalone player. And Pegasus (CatDV) plays everything else includng other mxf files. I have a couple projects shot with Sony MXF, yeahm different codec. I tried installing the Avid Codecs but nothing changed. The High Sierra machine works without the calibrated plugins, so I know they aren't needed. The MXF works, just not DNx. I'm able to import AVB files and they sure look like they're going to work. The audio and video are joined and I even get a thumbnail, but then the video won't play.

Primary: MC 2018.12.3 on a Mac Pro 2013, 32 GB Ram, OS 10.13.6, Thunderbolt raids for media and misc other storage. Dual Monitors (Apple 23" cinema... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 14 2022 10:02 PM In reply to

• Robb Harriss
    • Not Ranked
    • Minnesota
    • Posts 64
    • Points 685

You know, I have to assume so since Final Cut is on here as well as MOtion and Compressor. And he DNx files play just fine in other software, including Resolve. Guess it wouldn't hurt to try adding these. Thanks.

• Tue, Mar 15 2022 3:06 PM In reply to

• Robb Harriss
    • Not Ranked
    • Minnesota
    • Posts 64
    • Points 685

Well that didn't work, or rather didn't make any difference. 

And the DNx files are "kinda" readable in Final Cut, but FC does a terrible job of linking the audio and video files together. On the other hand Resolve works just great. Drop the Avid MXF folder into the Resolve Media Page and everything comes in all properly linked. One reason I use a MC => Resolve workflow. 

• Tue, Mar 15 2022 3:09 PM In reply to

• Robb Harriss
    • Not Ranked
    • Minnesota
    • Posts 64
    • Points 685

Well the addition of both Avid's and Apple's codecs didn't change anything. And the DNx files are fine elsewhere. But get this: I can generate proxies right out of Pegasus. How the hell does that happen if it can't read the files properly? That fixes the issue for the time being. I found the drive that has most of my proxies on them and attached it to the machine. Now at least I can see what I'm working with. And I'm making more proxies for the missing clips. Still a mystery why the DNx files won't work in the first place.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller