Latest post Wed, Mar 16 2022 5:15 PM by ripvanmarlowe. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Feb 5 2022 12:25 AM

Need basic noise reduction in Media composer

Eq doesn't cut it. Adobe Premiere includes a pretty robust number of options. At MIMIMUM the BNR plugin, while not great, should be included.

Most are 2013 MacPro 12 core or 2019-2020 i9 iMacs with 64+ Gb Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 6 2022 6:00 PM In reply to

Re: Need basic noise reduction in Media composer

+1111 

Great suggestion following your previous thread. Unsure if it might take sales away from ProTools though. 

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

• Tue, Mar 15 2022 4:36 PM In reply to

Philip Kapadia:
    Unsure if it might take sales away from ProTools though. 

It will not.

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2021.12 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 15 2022 8:12 PM In reply to

ripvanmarlowe:

Philip Kapadia:
    Unsure if it might take sales away from ProTools though. 

It will not.

Andi

Why would I buy a pro tools license if media composer can do what pro tools can do in this area? 

It's like adding blendmodes (although there now is a free plugin) it would take sales away from Boris FX

Editing Movie Magic.

• Wed, Mar 16 2022 2:09 PM In reply to

Because Protools is for audio folk. The things Protools can do far exceeds the needs of your average editor. If Avid's sales strategy is to have MC be so bad at audio that people are forced to buy a fully fledged DAW just to do basic stuff like good noise reduction/audio cleanup then that is incredibly cynical and a poor business model. I'm not going to buy and maintain a full Protools license just so I can slip audio by a sample rather than a frame, or do some basic pop removal etc when every other NLE has these features for free. And I'm also not willing to work in a totally different program UI and jump between the two when what I need is quick, timeline-based adjustments that are fast and of a high quality.

The fact that Avid makes Protools and still can't provide these things is mindboggling and if it really is their strategy to try and coax users to buy a Protools license for simple audio work then I'd say they should take a long hard look at themselves. I don't believe this is the case though and I can see nothing but benefits for them by improving MCs features to be on a par with or better than the other NLEs. 

Philip Kapadia:
    It's like adding blendmodes (although there now is a free plugin) it would take sales away from Boris FX

The reason Avid hasn't added blend modes is not because they are trying to help out Boris. 

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2021.12 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 16 2022 3:19 PM In reply to

I purchased a Pro tools license to do audio cleanup. I wouldn't buy it if MC had these capabilities. 

Avid has a longtime partnership with Boris. If Avid made their own "advanced" effects why would anyone pay the money for Boris or Sapphire? See how that works? That's what I think anyway. Avid has some of the best devs in the business. I don't believe there's a technical limitation.

Editing Movie Magic.

• Wed, Mar 16 2022 3:47 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • PA
    • Posts 204
    • Points 2,590

Don't wish to jump in to the fray of should be included or not. However, you can purchase the DINR noise reduction plug-in ($99) and install it into Media Composer. No Protools required. You will need an iLok dongle though.

https://www.avid.com/plugins/dinr

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iLok3--pace-ilok-3rd-generation

HP zBook 17 G3, z220, HP z240, HP z420, HP z440, HP z840, HP Z4 G4, Dell Precision 3430, Dell Precision 7810, Apple iMac i5 27-Inch (5K, Late 2015). 16GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 16 2022 3:56 PM In reply to

Philip Kapadia:
    I purchased a Pro tools license to do audio cleanup. I wouldn't buy it if MC had these capabilities. 

You should not have to do this is my point. And you don't have to in any other software.  Buying a full Protools license for these limited features is very poor value for money. 

Philip Kapadia:
    Avid has a longtime partnership with Boris. If Avid made their own "advanced" effects why would anyone pay the money for Boris or Sapphire? See how that works?

Boris has partnerships with everyone. It's ridiculous to claim that if Avid improved their product that we'd all stop buying Boris and that that is why Avid isn't adding better features. Even if that were the case, who cares? Boris' bottom line has nothing to do with Avid. Avid isn't a charity set up to drive customers to Boris (although it does seem to be working like that currently).

Philip Kapadia:
    I don't believe there's a technical limitation.

So you're saying that Avid can add all these features but is purposefully not doing it in order to force picture editors to buy Protools and Boris plugins? Absolute nonsense. It's a resource issue pure and simple.  I'm not under any illusions, we can't expect the pace of BM or Adobe, but these are longstanding feature requests that have been asked for for years and years. It is frustrating to see so little progress being made on them.

Andi

• Wed, Mar 16 2022 4:00 PM In reply to

ck123:
    Don't wish to jump in to the fray of should be included or not. However, you can purchase the DINR noise reduction plug-in ($99)

I use the ERA noise reduction plugins and they are sufficient and cheap. This whole discussion though is about Avid upping the level of their base offering. I can turn Avid in to a very capable NLE by spending thousands of pounds extra on plugins but I don't think it's too much to ask to get some more focussed improvements in the core functionality that I pay for every year. 

Andi

• Wed, Mar 16 2022 4:15 PM In reply to

Hi all. Let me jump in here, to hopefully be the chill pill that cools everyone's jets. 

There's no conspiracy happening. There's no sales ploy to get people onto or off of Pro Tools for this-or-that reason.

We at Avid have many long-time feature requests, including many in developing Media Composer's audio capabilities. A lot of them - like the audio pop issue someone mentioned above - are indeed in the queue to be triaged and hopefully fixed.

We are also constantly looking at feature requests in the form of what customers are asking for; how many customers are asking for each one; and for what workflow. (Like Hollywood editors versus broadcast versus YouTubers, and so on.)

So let's change this thread into one that we at Avid can actually find productive. Let's instead start listing exactly what feature requests everyone here would like to see. I can then add them to the actual feature requests list that gets looked at by the Media Composer team. Also, feel free to add comparisons to what you're seeing in other NLEs... that's fine... but know that it is not our priority to be like everyone else. 

2014 MacPro 6;1 "trashcan" on Monterey with MC 2022.2 beta. 2019 MBP (Intel) with BigSur running MC 2021.12 2014 MBP (Intel) with Mojave running... [view my complete system specs]

Email me to create a support case: chris.bove@avid.com 

------

Chris Bové
    Avid Online Community Manager
    Media Composer | ProTools | Sibeius
    Twitter: @heybove   Blog for Craft Editors

• Wed, Mar 16 2022 5:15 PM In reply to

Chris Bové:
    Let's instead start listing exactly what feature requests everyone here would like to see.

I don't think it's a case of discovering what these requests are Chris, they are all well known and easy to find on the feature request section of the website. I've been banging on about audio for years. Same with the CC module. None of the updates from the last  few years have addressed any of that. I'm not saying you should do it just because little old me wants it but surely I can't be alone in asking for more precise audio editing and better implementation of the colour tools. It's so blindingly obvious they need improving from a UX perspective that we shouldn't even have to request it. I'd expect someone at Avid to be saying "you know what, this is poorly implemented and can be improved". 

Anyway, rant #5678 over.

Andi

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller