Latest post Mon, Jan 17 2022 1:43 PM by bdehnMC. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 14 2022 10:38 PM

• bdehnMC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 14 2022
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

MC 8.7 Exception: "can't find machine info"

We're getting a chronic popup that blocks access to the program until it's dismissed.  It pops up every few seconds

Exception: can't find machine info

I'm trying to be concise, but there are lots of factors here.  Also, I'm I.T. support, so my familiarity with MC is not stellar.

When the software first starts it complains (once) that COM1 is in use, but there's nothing plugged into the serial port and no other software running that should care about com ports.  Device manager does not show any hidden devices and reports that COM1 is working properly.

This rash of popups began after a brief power blip killed our UPS (brand new: two weeks old), and dropped the PC hard.

When the system started back up, we had a period of communications issues with our Nitris DX, but those are resolved.

The Nitris is racked so I can't get the model, but IIRC it's a 7020 series.

Device Manager reports it as "Avid Nitris DX" and problem code 000000--"this device is working properly"

This popup is highly annoying, but Once the capture dialog is started, the issue brings us to a complete halt.  We dismiss the error, and it instantly returns.  We've even tried moving the popup so a quick double-click will close the warning and then the capture window--but it isn't quick enough.  At that point we're forced to kill the program.

My editor / boss never uses the machine control in Media Composer and simply starts / stops as needed while capturing.

We've gone through and removed all capture and device preferences that looked related--but it's still happening.  We'd be fine completely removing the machine control module or even disabling popup alerts--although of course we'd rather resolve this strange "machine type" quirk.

Obligatory it seems:

He's working on an important project with a time crunch factor that's had a few trucker words flying around here. 

Does anyone have any solutions for this?  My searches so far have come up empty.

I'd really appreciate a point in the correct direction.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

This isn't a horsepower issue.  Hopefully it's not tied to our legacy gear, which we can't upgrade at this point.  It's worth mentioning that this system has been stable for a long time.

System info (this is our legacy system and the only one we can use to capture--our other systems are Adobe and import digital cards)

Win7Pro 64bit

Media Composer 8.7

Avid Nitris DX

Xeon X5650 processors (24 cores)

192 GB RAM

• Sun, Jan 16 2022 9:00 AM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 24 2014
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 245
    • Points 2,940

Re: MC 8.7 Exception: "can't find machine info"

Hi bdehnMC,

Just trying to think with you.

Do the lights on the host bus adapter (HBA) show up correctly?

Do the lights on the front Nitris DX itself light up like they did before?

What happens when you disable the Nitris DX? Do you still get this pop-up?

Does the Console (TOOLS/CONSOLE or CTRL+6) in Avid Media Composer itself give you any more information?

Did you run the Nitris DX test program? You can find it below. There is a Windows and Mac version.

DX Hardware Diagnostics

(Avid 1) HP Z840 | 2x 18 Core Intel Xeon E5-2699v3 / 2.3GHz 35MB | 128GB PC4-17000P 2133MHz / 8x 16GB DDR4 | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 / 8GB GDDR5 / 4x DP 5K... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 16 2022 9:13 AM In reply to

Did you try a clean reinstall of the MC software?

Have you tested with a fresh new project and a fresh new user setting.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

• Sun, Jan 16 2022 3:49 PM In reply to

• bdehnMC
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Thank you both for replying.  First off, yesterday we got it working again with the stupidest of fixes:

We disabled the COM port in Device Manager.

For completeness, gratitude, and posterity, I'll reply to your follow-up questions.

Pat Horridge:

Did you try a clean reinstall of the MC software?

Have you tested with a fresh new project and a fresh new user setting.

We tried a new project, and while the popup continued, the "capture" dialog didn't seem locked like the original.  At this point my boss was still driving, and when we returned to the other project the issue returned.  He has hundreds (thousands?) of clips in the new project, which is likely why he glossed over that portion of our troubleshooting.

A new user profile would be in the same category of "completely start over," so I suppose those are options.

I'm very glad disabling the COM port got us running again--or you'd have heard the shouting from your place.  :,/

I did not try reinstalling the software.  Since our support contract ended, I'd be nervous of any potential authentication pitfalls; that's a nuclear option for us.

I'll keep these ideas in mind if similar issues return--thank you.

CinéMatica:

Hi bdehnMC,

Just trying to think with you.

Do the lights on the host bus adapter (HBA) show up correctly?

Do the lights on the front Nitris DX itself light up like they did before?

What happens when you disable the Nitris DX? Do you still get this pop-up?

Does the Console (TOOLS/CONSOLE or CTRL+6) in Avid Media Composer itself give you any more information?

Did you run the Nitris DX test program? You can find it below. There is a Windows and Mac version.

DX Hardware Diagnostics

Is the HBA the card connecting the Nitris to the motherboard?  I've never looked at it--the PC sits in an expensive, sound-treated rack--we roll it out and get behind it when the power's off.  The Nitris lights looked normal after our initial fiasco with it.

Disabling the Nitris caused Media Composer to not start at all.  I didn't take a pic of the error, but it was a very short, small popup, like "err x_0"(note that's not the error--I made it up for a loose description), and then the program would exit.  In our case, we have to reboot the computer before the host link will light again.

I didn't know about the console or DX test program--thanks for the tips.  I'll keep them in mind for future issues.

• Sun, Jan 16 2022 4:52 PM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 24 2014
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 245
    • Points 2,940

Great to hear that you are up and running again!

Thanks for letting us know how you solved the issue.

(Avid 1) HP Z840 | 2x 18 Core Intel Xeon E5-2699v3 / 2.3GHz 35MB | 128GB PC4-17000P 2133MHz / 8x 16GB DDR4 | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 / 8GB GDDR5 / 4x DP 5K... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 17 2022 12:34 AM In reply to

• bdehnMC
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

CinéMatica:

Thanks for letting us know how you solved the issue.

I've been in I.T. long enough to have found scores (feels like thousands) of posts over the years made by people with similar or identical symptoms of whatever malady strikes me at the time.  It's beyond maddening to find a comment  eleven months old saying merely "we fixed it" with no further detail.  It's only slightly less frustrating to find a conversation with no clear conclusion that simply ends.  I try to help other folks avoid a similar fate when I can. 

While this solution feels completely stupid, there's still a chance someone else could benefit from knowing it.

:,)

Thanks again CineMatica and Pat!

Cheers!

• Mon, Jan 17 2022 10:24 AM In reply to

Its worth clarifying that Avid Projects are just containers for the importnat bins.

But Projects have settings and a format.

So they can become corrupt.

Making a new project (of the correct format) and copy over the old projects bins is a common troubleshooting solution. If that works you use that new project and ignore the old one. There is never a need to keep going back to a problematic project.

Likewise user settings can become corrupt so when you have issues testing with a new user setting is a solid troubleshooting solution.

If that cures the issue then you know you have a usr setting issue. You can then track down which user setting is at fault and not copy that user setting to the newly created one. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

• Mon, Jan 17 2022 1:43 PM In reply to

• bdehnMC
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Pat Horridge:

Its worth clarifying that Avid Projects are just containers for the importnat bins.

But Projects have settings and a format.

So they can become corrupt.

Making a new project (of the correct format) and copy over the old projects bins is a common troubleshooting solution. If that works you use that new project and ignore the old one. There is never a need to keep going back to a problematic project.

Likewise user settings can become corrupt so when you have issues testing with a new user setting is a solid troubleshooting solution.

If that cures the issue then you know you have a usr setting issue. You can then track down which user setting is at fault and not copy that user setting to the newly created one. 

Thank you Pat.  That's worth remembering as well.

With my I.T. hat, that makes perfect sense. My unfamiliarity with the Media Composer software itself is the bottleneck here. I know ProTools better and can transfer some of that knowledge.

Should there be a next time, I'll keep this in mind.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller