Latest post Sat, Jan 15 2022 1:58 AM by ripvanmarlowe. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 14 2022 2:05 PM

DNxHR LB codec for output in XDCAM HD

I will edit a documentary for television thats captured in UHD 8bit, and we will output XDCAM HD in the end.

We would like to use the UHD-resolution in some rare cases where we want to zoom in.

As there is only limited space on the server for lots of footage we think about using DNxHR LB in 25p which uses even slightly less bandwidth than XDCAM HD (45 Mbit/s vs. 50 Mbit/s).

Do you think the quality will be sufficient for finishing in XDCAM HD?

I am editing on a very old macbook pro / mid 2012 with 16 GB ram Using macOS Catalina 10.15.7 And usually the newest AVID Version / right now its 2020... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 14 2022 2:13 PM In reply to

Re: DNxHR LB codec for output in XDCAM HD

Are you sure DNxHR LB at UHD resolution is that low a datarate?

The HR resolutions are resolution independent so the datarate goes up as the resolution goes up.

Are you doing an offline online route or direct online? 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

• Fri, Jan 14 2022 2:20 PM In reply to

Oh I was wrong.

Its 17 MB/s for DNxHR LB compared to 50 Mb/s XDCAM HD.

DNxHD SQ has 57 Mb/s - which should be fine.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/white_paper/DNxHR-Codec-Bandwidth-Specifications

I am editing on a very old macbook pro / mid 2012 with 16 GB ram Using macOS Catalina 10.15.7 And usually the newest AVID Version / right now its 2020... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 14 2022 2:22 PM In reply to

DNxHR LB has even only 4 Mb/s in HD.

• Fri, Jan 14 2022 2:48 PM In reply to

The Avid table is in MB per sec not MB per sec

DNxHR LB in HD is around 30Mbps but at UHD that's around 120Mbps.

If you want to zoom in and use that resolution you have to retain tgecreduktion in the transcode and that will cost in datarate. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

• Fri, Jan 14 2022 2:58 PM In reply to

You are right! but what does tgecreduktion mean?

• Fri, Jan 14 2022 3:17 PM In reply to

Avid-Freund:

You are right! but what does tgecreduktion mean?

It means I was typing on my mobile on the run.

Its retain the resolution in the transcode

• Fri, Jan 14 2022 3:21 PM In reply to

The resolution will be retained, even in DNxHR LB UHD.

But I am afraid the quality will degrade far too much.

From what I can see in a demo video, macroblogging will be even visible when working in an hd timeline with DNxHR LB UHD..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuFFHfRWuBQ

• Fri, Jan 14 2022 3:48 PM In reply to

I did some tests with LB a while ago on 2k and 4k footage and didn't like the results at all. Prores LT was preferable over it I found. Higher bit rate and also 10 bit instead of 8. 

Once you start to grade it a lot of the quality issues become apparent. I'd definitely stick to something better. If you're only going to be using it sparingly then it shouldn't take up too much extra space.  

Avid codec datarates (in MB - BYTES/s)

Comparision to other codecs (in Mb - BITS/s)

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2021.12 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 15 2022 1:58 AM In reply to

I've just re-read your initial post and I think I misunderstood. If all your rushes need to be in UHD resolution but you don't have the space to store hours of footage in a mastering quality codec, then you should be looking at working in a proxy resolution and then doing a conform before your final delivery. The offline/online workflow exists specifically for this kind of scenario.

DNxHR LB would be fine for offlining, then conform to something like DNxHR HQX once you have a locked cut, do the online and grade with the best possible quality, then strike your HD master from that. You want to make your master from the highest possible quality source not some 8 bit offlining codec.

You haven't mentioned what the source rushes are? What was the documentary shot on/recorded in?

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2021.12 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller