Latest post Fri, Jan 14 2022 2:22 PM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 14 2022 9:06 AM

A rather absurd complaint

Dear Avid,

As the title suggests what I'm about to complain about is absurd. You should deserve compliments for what I observe but because I perceive it as contributing to the licensing chaos I'm still going to complain about it. Let me explain.

One of our larger production house and edit suite rental customers reached the point for a large batch of subscription renewals. In these difficult Covid times TV productions keep going and due to the increase in remote working and reluctance in sharing edit suites, the amount of Media composer licenses in our market keeps growing. 

So about 25 licenses expired on the 12th of January 2022 and another 9 will do so in the next month. All these edit suites are connected to the internet 24/7. Both Media Composer and Avid Link were counting down in the correct way. However on the 12th of January the edit suites extend the license by 14 days.... euh 14 days? That's nice but from memory I conclude 'that can't be right...'

So I go to:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/FAQ/Avid-Online-Store-Is-there-any-grace-period-when-renewing-my-subscription-and-or-plan?retURL=%2Fpkb%2Fapex%2FKB_Render_Troubleshooting%3Fid%3DkA6400000004FB8%26lang%3Dit_2_1_2_1_2__7&popup=true

and it says.

If it was purchased through an Avid authorized reseller (We are!), there is a standard 4 day grace period to renew by applying the renewal code on the space provided under your product when you go to "View My Products" tab. You may also refer to the attached screenshot below for reference. 

No mention of 14 days. But now comes my complaint. While the media composer splash screen claims MC will run another 14 days, so until the 26th by my calculations, Avid link warns me it will expire on the 21st, while inside avid link's licenses list the activated license shows the correct expiration date of the 12th like in the master account. So Avid... what is it going to be?  Please provide consistent information throughout all sites and applications. Grace periods are of course welcomed but please inform the customer he is inside a grace period in his master account, Avid Link and Media composer all listing the same dates. Thank you.
    Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Fri, Jan 14 2022 11:19 AM In reply to

Re: A rather absurd complaint

Hi Jeroen,

Nothing you ever post is absurd. Well, to me, anyway.

I'd like to replicate this with one or two of the system IDs, and then share my exact findings internally here at Avid. If I have hard data, then all of the exact people who need to see it will be able to fix things quickest.

Could you email me one or two of them to chris.bove@avid.com please!

Many thanks, as always,

CB

2014 MacPro 6;1 "trashcan" on Monterey with MC 2022.2 beta. 2019 MBP (Intel) with BigSur running MC 2021.12 2014 MBP (Intel) with Mojave running... [view my complete system specs]

Email me to create a support case: chris.bove@avid.com 

------

Chris Bové
    Avid Online Community Manager
    Media Composer | ProTools | Sibeius
    Twitter: @heybove   Blog for Craft Editors

• Fri, Jan 14 2022 1:58 PM In reply to

email send.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, Jan 14 2022 2:10 PM In reply to

• kkordisch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 5 2011
    • Posts 110
    • Points 1,360

I would also like to add, especially in the 2018.12.x versions, even if the license is renewed a month before hand, the licensing server doesn't seem to ping the edits to update that the license has been renewed. So for 500 cpus, we have to manually uninstall the license and then reinstall the same exact license. Signing in to avid link on 500 cpus is not an option.

• Fri, Jan 14 2022 2:22 PM In reply to

kkordisch:
    Signing in to avid link on 500 cpus is not an option.

Unfortunately it seems Avid thinks it is for me in my territory. Sad Many many cases regarding licensing were opened and closed. But here we are. But lets give Chris another chance to motivate Ajay. Smile 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller