Latest post Thu, Mar 3 2022 11:48 AM by Chris Bové. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 18 2021 2:51 PM

• Pol
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Belgium
    • Posts 238
    • Points 3,130

good intentions for 2022

Seems the folks at Avid lack creativity in finding new features.

A dockable tool is not something I'v been waiting for.

But I do want to give some tips for future features:

- Make autosequence work with aux timecode.

- Collapse multiple mono audio tracks in the timeline to 1 track.

- Loudness R128 support - metering and correction implemented in audio mixdown

- Frameflex available in timeline, not just under source settings.

- Phrase find off by default

- Select all muted clips in a timeline with one command

- Make autosync better (sometimes it only syncs 1 frame)

- Command to collapse a sequence to 1 video track (remove all clips underlying)

- Dynamic smart bins (like Mac OS smart folder)

- Export clips with alpha key

- Create groupclip from sequence with in and out point ( at the moment only possible with whole sequence)

- PSD import support

- Very light videoplayer that can open avid bins and play clips and sequences (outside Media Composer)

• Sat, Dec 18 2021 3:04 PM In reply to

Re: good intentions for 2022

As on your other thread, my only critique is this one:

Pol:
    Phrase find off by default

I understand why you might want it off, but I want it on, so I'd change that to 'let the user decide whether phrase find is on/off by default'. 

Media Composer 2022.4 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Dec 19 2021 3:44 AM In reply to

Good list. I'd like to add off the top of my head:

Proper subframe audio in the timeline (not through source settings)

Update the paint tools

Unlimited, independent secondary CC shapes and a better tracker

A better system for storing grades (more buckets or a drop down menu or a gallery) and be able to name your corrections within the CC module.

Setting to have the sidebar off by default on all bins always.

Bins tab side by side by default - no modifiers for tabbing or control over this behaviour in settings.

More interface colours so I can match 2018 interface.

Obviously a working title tool.

Un-dock the waveforms from the CC module and float them/enlarge them and maybe more display options for the trace like magnifications, different colours/brightnesses etc.

A/B compare of two different shots in CC mode - spit screen currently only shows before/after of the same shot - useless for matching.

Realtime audiosuite pluins on clips not just tracks

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2021.12 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 21 2021 12:31 AM In reply to

Pol:

- Select all muted clips in a timeline with one 

You mean something better than the existing Select Muted Clips tool? 

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller for silky smooth playback; Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch; AJA i/o Express with... [view my complete system specs]

-Telegram!

• Tue, Dec 21 2021 12:42 AM In reply to

ripvanmarlowe:

Good list. I'd like to add off the top of my head:

Proper subframe audio in the timeline (not through source settings)
    Andi

I drag and drop various custom Subframe Slip FX from a bin. Have you tried that?

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller for silky smooth playback; Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch; AJA i/o Express with... [view my complete system specs]

-Telegram!

• Wed, Mar 2 2022 10:54 AM In reply to

• jfinlan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 2 2022
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Call me old-fashioned but I wish they'd just bring up a version that doesn't crash all the time, especially when in effects mode. I'm running 2021.12 on Big Sur (Intel). Frequent crashes in effects mode. I was on Catalina and lots of crashes there too. I could try Monterey but can't see it getting better.

• Wed, Mar 2 2022 1:00 PM In reply to

Monterey is reportedly more stable than Catalina and Big Sur but your mileage may vary of course.

I'm not sure if this is just a Mac / Mac OS issue but on a windows 10 PC its been very solid for me and I run the latest MC versions for teaching.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

• Wed, Mar 2 2022 1:07 PM In reply to

• jfinlan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Good to know. I might switch to Monterey tonight and roll back if it's not working out. I'm commited to Mac so can't make the switch now. Hopefully they'll sort it out.

• Wed, Mar 2 2022 3:03 PM In reply to

jfinlan:

Call me old-fashioned but I wish they'd just bring up a version that doesn't crash all the time, especially when in effects mode. I'm running 2021.12 on Big Sur (Intel). Frequent crashes in effects mode. I was on Catalina and lots of crashes there too. I could try Monterey but can't see it getting better.

Hmmm... Frequent crashes shouldn't happen, even in Effects Mode. Would you like to create a Support Case? I could assist.

Email me at chris.bove@avid.com and include your Avid System ID as well as the MyAvid email address associated with it.

2014 MacPro 6;1 "trashcan" on Monterey with MC 2022.2 beta. 2019 MBP (Intel) with BigSur running MC 2021.12 2014 MBP (Intel) with Mojave running... [view my complete system specs]

Email me to create a support case: chris.bove@avid.com 

------

Chris Bové
    Avid Online Community Manager
    Media Composer | ProTools | Sibeius
    Twitter: @heybove   Blog for Craft Editors

• Wed, Mar 2 2022 3:09 PM In reply to

• jfinlan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Thanks Chris. I'll email you to set up a case, although I'm currently on the trial version. Will be paying in 13 days time. Not sure if that affects whether or not I can get help. I had similar multiple crashes using different iterations of 2021 MC on other computers. Am upgrading to Monterey now to see if it's better.

• Wed, Mar 2 2022 4:38 PM In reply to

Pol:
    - Select all muted clips in a timeline with one command
    I thought this was added in 21.12.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 2 2022 4:57 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • PA
    • Posts 204
    • Points 2,590

jfinlan:

Not saying you don't experience frequent crashes...

But, from my personal experience supporting hundreds of Avid users I find that a LOT of reported crashes are just user impatience. Literally. On computers with PhraseFind when Avid opens it begins scanning the audio cache data which can take several minutes. However, since there is no "progress bar," or whatever, people assume Avid has crashed because it has spent more than a few second scanning and thus they hit Force Quit. Same when in Avid. On occasion Avid will briefly freeze when changing from trim mode, or from editing a title, or many other things. But, since Avid hasn't responded instantanesously the user reaches for Force Quit.

I then get the call that their Avid just contantly crashes. They need a different computer. Call Avid! On and on. Except it never did crash. They just didn't have any patience and hit Force Quit.

Patience....

Charles

HP zBook 17 G3, z220, HP z240, HP z420, HP z440, HP z840, HP Z4 G4, Dell Precision 3430, Dell Precision 7810, Apple iMac i5 27-Inch (5K, Late 2015). 16GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 3 2022 11:48 AM In reply to

jfinlan:

Thanks Chris. I'll email you to set up a case, although I'm currently on the trial version. Will be paying in 13 days time. Not sure if that affects whether or not I can get help. I had similar multiple crashes using different iterations of 2021 MC on other computers. Am upgrading to Monterey now to see if it's better.

I personally love Monterey. So much "lighter" of an OS than Big Sur, which bogged some things down. 
    Often, crashes of effects are performance-related... so hard drive speeds, amount of RAM, really "chunky" codecs, too many AMA-Linked clips stacked in a timeline, or even simply operator-error. 

No wories about the trial version. I'll get you serviced. Just make sure you reference this thread. I get SOOO many emails per day from people who don't give me context for where we had this conversation. Heh... I'm old, people. ;) 

2014 MacPro 6;1 "trashcan" on Monterey with MC 2022.2 beta. 2019 MBP (Intel) with BigSur running MC 2021.12 2014 MBP (Intel) with Mojave running... [view my complete system specs]

Email me to create a support case: chris.bove@avid.com 

------

Chris Bové
    Avid Online Community Manager
    Media Composer | ProTools | Sibeius
    Twitter: @heybove   Blog for Craft Editors

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller