Latest post Mon, Dec 20 2021 9:12 AM by QMax. 34 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 11 2021 12:44 AM

Geeked [8-|] Avid Cloud Licensing is finally here!

Hi everyone.

Cloud Licensing is finally here! 

This week, Avid released a brand new version of Avid Link -- version 2021.12. This is a completely free upgrade for all users currently running Avid Link. When you install it, you get free access to some things that you have ALL been waiting a long time for...

1) With Link 2021.12 installed, your software-activated licenses are now able to be deactivated remotely. This is for Media Composer 2021.9 only. Older versions will work the previous way. This is made possible by a new method of cloud-based licensing that runs behind-the-scenes. See the FAQ on Avid's new Cloud Licensing [HERE].

2) When you "Show" Link 2021.12 on your desktop, you will see a new "Manage Devices" feature at the top. This allows you, finally, to not only see all of the devices that a specific System ID is being used, but also shows you a full history of login/logout, and the ability to deactivate.

3) To most users, other than the "Manage Devices" addition, everything will look and feel the same. Except... And trust me you folks are going to LOVE this... it is incredibly FAST. Meaning, do you remember all of those times when you tried to activate Media Composer, and were forced to sit there and wait for minutes for it to sync? That's gone. Now activate/deactivate is nearly instant.

4) Also, if you open your desktop Link app, and click on the Preferences, you can set up Notifications to email you whenever an activation or deactivation is triggered. Some of you may not want to bother with these emails and can shut them off. However, I'm taking it out for a spin, just... well... just for the fun of it, really. Don't mind me.

5) And... I've saved my favorite for last. You can finally "NAME" your device in Link. Meaning, you can now designate "Edit Bay 3" and "Edit Bay 4". The Device ID stays the same, as does the Host Name (Mac Pro, or HP z8 or whatever)... so yeah, it's kind of just a cosmetic thing... but for facilities with many edit bays, it's pretty helpful!

Side note -- Many people don't know this, but you CAN be running a brand new version of Link even if you have MC7, MC8, MC2018, or whatever. In fact, updating to this brand-new version of Link will actually keep your system safer, because older versions of "Application Manager" and Link that you might have downloaded years ago are not receiving any security updates. Getting yourself onto the latest Link is always the safest bet.

I highly, highly recommend that you download and install Link 2021.12. You can do so inside of your current desktop version, or by going to your MyAvid account and downloading it from your My Products.

Here is the user's guide. To see these new updates, scroll down to page 24 [HERE].

Any questions? Post them below.

Thank you!

2014 MacPro 6;1 "trashcan" on Monterey with MC 2022.2 beta. 2019 MBP (Intel) with BigSur running MC 2021.12 2014 MBP (Intel) with Mojave running... [view my complete system specs]

Email me to create a support case: chris.bove@avid.com 

------

Chris Bové
    Avid Online Community Manager
    Media Composer | ProTools | Sibeius
    Twitter: @heybove   Blog for Craft Editors

• Sat, Dec 11 2021 7:00 AM In reply to

• QMax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 11 2010
    • Milan, Italy
    • Posts 73
    • Points 840

Re: Avid Cloud Licensing is finally here!

This update created a lot of problems for dongle users.

IE, your point 1, my AMC has been transformed from dongle activated to software activated!!!

Part of my dongle based license now appear as software activated, other options still remain dongle activated.

Please read my post here:

https://community.avid.com/forums/t/204638.aspx

Max

Avid Media Composer 2021.12 Perpetual|Symphony Option|Dongle PC: Asus PRIME z370-A, Intel i7-8700K/3.70Ghz, 32Gb, Win10 Pro x64, nVidia GTX 1060-6GB OWC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 13 2021 12:40 PM In reply to

Chris Bové:
    And... I've saved my favorite for last. You can finally "NAME" your device in Link. Meaning, you can now designate "Edit Bay 3" and "Edit Bay 4". The Device ID stays the same, as does the Host Name (Mac Pro, or HP z8 or whatever)... so yeah, it's kind of just a cosmetic thing... but for facilities with many edit bays, it's pretty helpful!

How to do that? 

• Mon, Dec 13 2021 2:19 PM In reply to

Hi Chris, Dave, Max,

Thanks for this update. A few questions:

Chris Bové:
    2) When you "Show" Link 2021.12 on your desktop, you will see a new "Manage Devices" feature at the top. This allows you, finally, to not only see all of the devices that a specific System ID is being used, but also shows you a full history of login/logout, and the ability to deactivate.

Does this apply to all licenses? Dongle, Perpetual, subscription including previous versions up to x.x?

Chris Bové:
    5) And... I've saved my favorite for last. You can finally "NAME" your device in Link. Meaning, you can now designate "Edit Bay 3" and "Edit Bay 4". The Device ID stays the same, as does the Host Name (Mac Pro, or HP z8 or whatever)... so yeah, it's kind of just a cosmetic thing... but for facilities with many edit bays, it's pretty helpful!

This option already existed in the master account. I really hope this feature integrates with that and we do not have a situation where different data input is possible on either.

I will give it a go on one of our langer sites to see how it behaves and report back. Until further feedback I'm holding back on using it on dongle activated systems (inc my own). PLease keep us posted on the issue reported with dongle actvated systems.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Mon, Dec 13 2021 2:57 PM In reply to

Thanks Jeroen.

Currently most dongle users are up and running without hassles. A few instances have been reported and we are working through them. The similar criteria seems to be related to exactly what is on the dongles - meaning whether they contain both MC and SY or just MC (where Link is asked to handle SY instead of the dongle).

More info on that to come...  

2014 MacPro 6;1 "trashcan" on Monterey with MC 2022.2 beta. 2019 MBP (Intel) with BigSur running MC 2021.12 2014 MBP (Intel) with Mojave running... [view my complete system specs]

------

Chris Bové

• Mon, Dec 13 2021 3:08 PM In reply to

Hi Chris,

I forgot to address you and Max in my reply. Sorry about that. Just corrected it.

Are you also able to reply on the 2 questions I placed in my post Chris?

Thank you.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Dec 13 2021 3:29 PM In reply to

Sorry... juggling lots...

Regarding "NAME" --

The "NAME" feature is brand new. It is solely cosmetic and for Avid Link and MyAvid. It has no impact on anything vital. The Device IDs and the System IDs are how things truly get synced. This new naming function is merely an additional thing to look at - to help people organize "rooms" for systems in their heads better. Simplarly to how adding a "Comments" field in a MC bin. It doesn't do anything other than give you another means of getting your head wrapped around something.

Regarding Manage Devices --

Keep in mind, if you have a dongle in System #1, and want to use its license at home on System #2, then you take the dongle home. Cloud licensing isn't made to steal licenses from dongles. If you want to turn the dongle into a cloud-accessible item, then we have a dongle conversion process to do so, which renders the dongle dead, giving you the ability to untether yourself from the physical USB sticks. 

It's also important to remember that cloud licensing is brand new, and hard-wired into Link 2021.12 and Mdia Composer 2021.9 and beyond. So users who have licenses for MC7, and 2018, and 2019, and whatever else are not going to be able to enjoy the cloud licensing benefits. There's absolutely no way the team would be able to go back and re-code the 100+ versions of MC that are on our download site so that they could be cloud-ready. 

Does that answer? Please ask as many questions as you'd like. 

------

Chris Bové

• Mon, Dec 13 2021 3:51 PM In reply to

davidemasi:

How to do that? 

In Link, click on Manage Devices. See the column called "Device Name"? See the little "pen" icon next to it? Click that and you can rename it anything. Note -- this will NOT damage anything with your account or your computer. This is purely cosmetic. 

------

Chris Bové

• Mon, Dec 13 2021 4:19 PM In reply to

• QMax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 11 2010
    • Milan, Italy
    • Posts 73
    • Points 840

Chris Bové:

Regarding Manage Devices --

Keep in mind, if you have a dongle in System #1, and want to use its license at home on System #2, then you take the dongle home. Cloud licensing isn't made to steal licenses from dongles. If you want to turn the dongle into a cloud-accessible item, then we have a dongle conversion process to do so, which renders the dongle dead, giving you the ability to untether yourself from the physical USB sticks. 

Normal 0 14 false false false IT X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hi Chris

that's the way it goes until Avid Link 2021.12 update. Link 2021.6.1 never interfered with dongle, it always showed my dongle AMC and options actived by the adapter and the sw activation code as not available, with the option of adapter coversion.

Not take a look to my actual Manage Devices History:

Product, SystemId, Device name, Activation date, Deactivation date
    Media Composer Standard Support, XXXXXXXXX, DESKTOP, 2021-12-13, 2021-12-13
    Media Composer Standard Support, XXXXXXXXX, DESKTOP, 2021-12-12, 2021-12-12
    Media Composer Standard Support, XXXXXXXXX, DESKTOP, 2021-12-12, 2021-12-12
    Media Composer Standard Support, XXXXXXXXX, DESKTOP, 2021-12-10, 2021-12-12

All these sw activations has been done automatically by Link.

Yes, I'm able to deactivate it, but at next boot I'll find again AMC as software activated.

The only options for me to have clean license actually are:

1) Deativate, sign-out from Link and keep it offline

2) Deactivate, downgrade Link to 2021.6.1

3) Deactivate and completely uninstall Link 2021.12

Actually I'm with option 1.

Thanks agai for your support.

Max

Avid Media Composer 2021.12 Perpetual|Symphony Option|Dongle PC: Asus PRIME z370-A, Intel i7-8700K/3.70Ghz, 32Gb, Win10 Pro x64, nVidia GTX 1060-6GB OWC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 13 2021 4:33 PM In reply to

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your answer

Chris Bové:
    Does that answer?

No and yes. 

Regarding "NAME" --

In the master account there is a field labelled USER NOTES. I (amongst others I assume) requested this field back in the days for exactly the same function as a NAMING field. Having USER NOTES from the account visible in Avid Link would do the trick in our (Telmaco reseller) case. I have not checked if Avid link 2021.12 reflects this in USER NOTES present in the master account. If not I would still expect the NAME field as used in Avid link also to be visible in the mater account.

Simply said. Having different, including missing, information between the Master acount and Avid link helps nobody.

Regarding Manage Devices -

I fully understand that activation deactivation history does not go back the times of  the introduction of software activation in media composer 3.5. The required logging of license use history would be huge. But is this a feature valid only for new 2021.9 and up licenses or will existing licenses including older currently present in a master account also be monitored from the date xx-xx-2021/2022?

I can only speak from my own market but I believe there must be thousands, even tens of thousands of medium to large shops worldwide that kept and keep excel sheets of licenses used in their operation including Interplay, mediacentral, inews, etc.... Integrating the existing server products registration, information in Avid's SAP and Avid Link would be great. Doing that only for new systems... 'not so great'.   

• Mon, Dec 13 2021 5:35 PM In reply to

I can't see the little "pen", Chris

• Mon, Dec 13 2021 5:40 PM In reply to

Are you running Media Composer 2021.9? 

------

Chris Bové

• Mon, Dec 13 2021 5:53 PM In reply to

• Mon, Dec 13 2021 6:05 PM In reply to

That is the issue. This new feature is onlu for MC 2021.9 and later. It is not possible for Avid to go back and re-code all of our previous versions to have this capability. you will need to upgrade to MC 2021.9 or to MC 2021.12 when it gets released soon.

------

Chris Bové

• Mon, Dec 13 2021 6:10 PM In reply to

Ok Chris, thank you.

There're some bugs in 2021.9 that I didn't have in 2021.3, so I have not updated. I'll glad to get the 2021.12 where I'm sure those bugs gone

Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller