Latest post Tue, May 24 2022 4:43 AM by Camillo. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Nov 20 2021 2:06 PM

• Camillo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 29 2011
    • Posts 21
    • Points 275

What is "hardware baseband encoding"?

Hello. Saw this feature advertised in the DNxID product description.

What I am looking for is an external hardware encoder/decoder that can noticably hurry up encoding to DNxHD and DNxHR of video files and help with the display of media with those codecs. Does "hardware baseband encoding" cover this?

Thank you for any info!

I am using Media Composer on a slim-spec MacBookPro and will purchase an M1 device soon. Still waiting for Avid to release recommended specs for M1, though.

MacBookPro 15-inch, late 2013 Catalina 10.15.7 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Sat, Nov 20 2021 5:22 PM In reply to

Re: What is "hardware baseband encoding"?

Even with an Avid IO box the encoding is limited to capturing from tape (or live)

So no there isn't an option. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

• Sat, Nov 20 2021 9:49 PM In reply to

• Camillo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 21
    • Points 275

Thanks for the quick answer, Pat.

• Sat, Nov 20 2021 10:12 PM In reply to

• Camillo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 21
    • Points 275

Pat, the link in your sig points to vet.co.uk

• Sat, Nov 20 2021 10:44 PM In reply to

Thanks. 

I'll update but no big deal. 

Only a few months and I'm retiring so the company links will go. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

• Sat, Nov 20 2021 11:22 PM In reply to

Camillo:

Hello. Saw this feature advertised in the DNxID product description.

What I am looking for is an external hardware encoder/decoder that can noticably hurry up encoding to DNxHD and DNxHR of video files and help with the display of media with those codecs. Does "hardware baseband encoding" cover this?

Thank you for any info!

I am using Media Composer on a slim-spec MacBookPro and will purchase an M1 device soon. Still waiting for Avid to release recommended specs for M1, though.

I'm not sure there is much more you can do to speed up encoding other than to upgrade your system specs. I do have some anecdotal evidence from editors using older versions of Media Composer that suggests having a Nitris/DNxIQ speeds up the timeline performance, but that's it. 

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

• Sun, Nov 21 2021 6:13 AM In reply to

The older Adrenaline hardware was fed firewire data from the computer and the IO decompressed that internally to the various physical outputs so reduced CPU loads. 

But that was when the actual computers were massively less powerful than now. 

The best performance is a high clock speed CPU with 8 cores or more (or even twin cpus)

Plenty of the fastest ram the motherboard supports (128Gb) in the best ram configuration for speed.

An M2 flash drive and a mid range GPU with plenty of RAM.

• Tue, Nov 23 2021 10:45 AM In reply to

• Camillo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 21
    • Points 275

OK, understood. I was remembering hearsay information from decades ago and wishfully interpolating it onto today's I/O hardware. Getting old is nice.

One request, time and leisure permitting, can someone tell me what the term "baseband encoding" means? It is specific technical jargon or marketing fill words? Thanks for all the info this far!

• Sat, Jan 15 2022 5:47 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 753
    • Points 9,700

Camillo:
    One request, time and leisure permitting, can someone tell me what the term "baseband encoding" means? It is specific technical jargon or marketing fill words? Thanks for all the info this far!

You've probably long since given up waiting for an answer, but in case this leisurely answer finds you: 'Baseband' encoding merely means that the input hardware compresses and encodes the SDI/HDMI uncompressed signal to the system format and codec at capture, in real time. In the days of yore, transfer protocols, bandwidth and pc power were insufficient to do this and so devices like Adrenaline, for example, would have hardware on board for this function. Nowadays with Thunderbolt and PCIe etc., there is more than enough bandwidth and pc power to do this onboard. Since there is also very little real time capture anymore either it is unclear why some Avid branded units still need to do this. H264 outboard hardware encoding for streaming still has a use though.

MC with Symphony option, 2021.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 24 2022 4:43 AM In reply to

• Camillo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 21
    • Points 275

Many thanks for this explanation.

Mercer:

You've probably long since given up waiting for an answer, but in case this leisurely answer finds you: 'Baseband' encoding merely means that the input hardware compresses and encodes the SDI/HDMI uncompressed signal to the system format and codec at capture, in real time. In the days of yore, transfer protocols, bandwidth and pc power were insufficient to do this and so devices like Adrenaline, for example, would have hardware on board for this function. Nowadays with Thunderbolt and PCIe etc., there is more than enough bandwidth and pc power to do this onboard. Since there is also very little real time capture anymore either it is unclear why some Avid branded units still need to do this. H264 outboard hardware encoding for streaming still has a use though.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller