Latest post Mon, Nov 29 2021 6:30 PM by Job ter Burg. 30 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 24 2021 11:45 PM In reply to

• Dom Cobb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 21 2011
    • Posts 21
    • Points 225

Re: New MacBook Pro ?

ripvanmarlowe:
    As we don't plan to upgrade MC past 2018.12.8

I recently downgraded from Catalina & MC 2021 to Mojave and 2018.12.15 on my 2015 iMac, and I couldnt be happier.

Is there something about 2018.12.8 that's better than 2018.12.15?

I'm so glad to be back on the usable interface, the new 2019-onwards interface was pointless and buggy. 

• Thu, Nov 25 2021 1:17 AM In reply to

No, we just have no need to upgrade to the latest 2018 release as it's been stable for us and with the tight turnaround on the show I am always operating on an "if it aint broke, don't fix it" priciple. Add to this the post-house where the onlines are done is still on that version.

My personal Avid on my HP is on 2021.9 and I am not a fan of the very unituitive new interface. I will certaily give it more time but my knee jerk reaction was that I have never worked on a version of MC where I often actually have no idea where a menu setting is or how a feature works. The bin docking stuff is infuriating. I shouldn't need to look at tutorials to figure out how to tab bins like I used to! 

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2021.9 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 25 2021 7:57 AM In reply to

Steen Hansen:

Blame Apple? For building a platform that's breaking performance records? This is not a childish Mac v PC argument 

You may have missed my point, which is that this whole transition would have been much easier if A. Avid had rolled oit support for M1 Macs much, much sooner (no argument there) and B. if Apple had not abandoned the Mac Pro for so long (because we wouldn't all have been stuck with these subpar 2013 thrashcans for so long).

I'm not saying not to blame Avid. I myself am simply blaming not _just_ Avid.

As far as I'm concerned, this has never been a Mac vs PC argument. It's about customers like you and I not having the chance to properly plan ahead, as you wrote.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 25 2021 10:43 AM In reply to

Agree Job. One of the basic tools in the provider/customer relationship is communication. For every Editor who in the last 18 months has been considering/needing to upgrade their hardware, they have been in the dark about when support would come for M1. That's 18 months of people checking every week into forums and Reddit rumours looking for scraps of info about when a huge corporation might support a new chip. This is utterly unacceptable. 

MacPro 2x2.26GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon 8 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, MC7

• Thu, Nov 25 2021 11:53 AM In reply to

This does feed into those who have asked for a Linux version as well. Why have they never had an MC version for that platform?

There are many good reasons for choosing Linux as an OS and no provision. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

• Thu, Nov 25 2021 2:15 PM In reply to

How would a Linux version work with regard to plugins etc? Won't Boris/Isotope/Neat etc all have to then start creating Linux based plugins? Because MC without plugins is not a very useful experience for a lot of us. Curious what other gotchas might arise from a Linux version? As someone who has had very little interaction with Linux (probably only when using a full Baselight system or doing admin stuff for what used to be called Forscene) what could be the benefits over Mac or Windows?

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2021.9 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 25 2021 2:39 PM In reply to

The massive  bonus a linux system offers is an unbloated OS. Which allows you to lever the maximum performance from the hardware.

Its one of the reasons many of the most pwerful systems don't use Apple or Microsoft OSs

And remember the Mac OS is sort of based on Linux anyway.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

• Thu, Nov 25 2021 3:18 PM In reply to

I suppose what I don't understand is what exactly is meant by a "bloated OS". Between Windows and Mac OS I see almost no difference in performance, I could happily work on either and the only difference I notice is having to press different buttons for Alt or Cmd etc.I don't find the OS gets in my way at all when working in Avid.  I don't even have a preference from a design point of view, they both seem perfectly functional and intuitive to me. Would the performance increase really be so significant that it would negate the pain of having to learn a new, less user-friendly OS? What are we talking here? Rendering at twice the speed? Exporting twice as fast? 8K multicam with ease etc? If it would really improve the MC experience I'd be up for it but I'd also want to know that all the other peripheral programs and plugins would still be available. For example, Photoshop does not have a Linux version and I'd be lost without that. Same with Mocha or BCC. Baselight can work as an island but MC definitely can't.

Andi

• Thu, Nov 25 2021 3:33 PM In reply to

Both Windows and Mac OS are bloated OSs 

As an editor do you need every function the OS offers you?

All those apps. All those background services.

A commonly availble OS that hackers can bang away at until they find a flaw they can exploit.

Unix is more modular and allows you to select what features the OS offers.

On my Windows 10 machine there are dozens and dozens of background service running in the background.

• Fri, Nov 26 2021 3:30 AM In reply to

We’ve moved our FLAME systems from Linux to the Mac Pros.  We do commercials and it’s too painful to use a separate machine for photoshop.  The machine also becomes a great AfterEffects station if we’re doing some cheap retail.  

We’d just buy more MacPro towers for Avid but editors move around, working in the production company, agency or from home at the start of the offline.  A Mac mini would be fine if Avid worked on the M1 mini or if the Intel Mini had a ok GPU. 

Apple is at fault for creating the situation no doubt.  The problem is everything else (bar FLAME) works on M1.  Some apps like Resolve even work natively.  I get programming is hard and the team has a limited number of people but the inability to get there or clearly message outside of these forums make the user base scared.  

I’m genuinely worried that Avid MC won’t exist in a few years.  Just like I am with FLAME.  We ran 3 Avid DS suites along with our FLAMEs and when Avid cut that program it left the compositing and finishing business.  We replaced the DS’s with FLAMEs and keep an eye to see if Nuke studio or Resolve with Fusion could be a replacement for FLAME.   

I know Avid talk about compatibility but we recently revised a edit on the latest iMac with the latest Avid MC.  When I opened it on my old trash can running 2018 it kept crashing because of the media, or something (who know because the error message as terrible). Looking online supposedly you can’t do that workflow.  Ok then why maintain back / forward compatibility? 

Id’ be ok if you say this version of Avid will work on M1 but you can’t open it on anything older than 2022.1.  Great a clean line in the sand.   I can just buy M1’s for the whole facility and install the newest Avid.   While I hate the new UI I’ll just have to deal with it.   I can bring old jobs up to latest version for revisions if need be.     

Avid MC is no doubt the best software to edit in but I know most freelance editors just use Premier now.  When I ask they say they just can’t keep up with Avid’s garbage.  I understand Avid’s revenue largely comes from enterprise but stuff like this and the new UI means they’re bleeding small users.  Happy to be proven wrong on that.  The kids from Universities that run Avid all use premiere at home. I know because we have to teach them Avid went they start.  All the content kids don’t run Avid, that’s a huge market as BlackMagic knows.  

I love Avid MC.  And I’ll jump any hoop to get it working but most people won’t.   I run a business that has the resources to do it, most people don’t. 

• Sun, Nov 28 2021 12:39 PM In reply to

Really well said. 

MacPro 2x2.26GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon 8 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, MC7

• Mon, Nov 29 2021 3:44 PM In reply to

• Ryan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 3 2015
    • Leebsurg VA
    • Posts 53
    • Points 690

I am sureprized Avid didn't join the apple beta test before.  They would be ahead if they did. 

multiple mac editors and windows systems [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 29 2021 3:51 PM In reply to

Ryan:

I am sureprized Avid didn't join the apple beta test before.  They would be ahead if they did. 

Pretty sure they have done that. Also pretty sure I have heard engineers mention that between Beta and release, a LOT can happen and a LOT of things can get screwed up.

Again, not defening how long this is taking.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 29 2021 4:05 PM In reply to

• Ryan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 3 2015
    • Leebsurg VA
    • Posts 53
    • Points 690

They should do a private then public test. 

If they did they would be more ahead and get a bettere bump on bugs. 

multiple mac editors and windows systems [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 29 2021 4:26 PM In reply to

Yes there have been a number of Apple releases that had significant changes to what had been revealed in the beta versions. 

More than once a working MC release on the beta version didn't work in the rekease version requiring re-working.

Apple just play nicely with 3rd parties. 

Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller