Latest post Mon, Nov 1 2021 4:59 PM by ck123. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Oct 30 2021 9:46 AM

• begnpitch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 30 2021
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Has anyone tried to expand an existing Avid Nexis environment with data in-place?

I've been reading some of their docs and promotional material; it talks about being able to do this, but doesn't seem to go into much detail about the process itself or potential risk factors. I've been comparing clustering solutions, the Avid docs are very verbose, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer.

Specifically I'm curious if data that existed prior to adding a new Engine / Media Pac speed test k is available in the same namespace.

Are there configurable options for using the new system for capacity / redundancy? showbox

• Sun, Oct 31 2021 5:01 PM In reply to

Re: Has anyone tried to expand an existing Avid Nexis environment with data in-place?

Hi,

Expanding a Nexis is as simple as:

- Installing the correct version of Nexis on the chassis (it comes without the software installed) as present on the existing Nexis.

- Configuring the new Nexis IP and storage system name and the chassis name. AND MAKING SURE RUNNING SYSTEM DIRECTOR IS UNCHECKED.

- In the web interface you will now be able to add the media pack(s) to the storage group. This will trigger a redistribution which has a performance impact but practically you can keep working normally.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Mon, Nov 1 2021 4:59 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • PA
    • Posts 196
    • Points 2,500

Re: Has anyone tried to expand an existing Avid Nexis environment with data in-place?

Alternatively, you can add the additional storage as a new storage group. This would not trigger a redistribution and would allow you configure the two storage groups independently.

For example, have one storage group for HD/LB media and the other storage group for UHD+/HB media.

The choice comes down to what need the expansion is filling and how you want to plan your future storage needs.

HP zBook 17 G3, z220, HP z240, HP z420, HP z440, HP z840, HP Z4 G4, Dell Precision 3430, Dell Precision 7810, Apple iMac i5 27-Inch (5K, Late 2015). 16GB... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller