Latest post Tue, Sep 14 2021 4:04 PM by LDV20. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 10 2021 11:57 PM

• Tom Cook
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 25 2010
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 230
    • Points 2,880

Speccing Out a New System

Folks:

I've been advised previously that an 8-core system is the very minimum I need if I want decent performnce while editing with AMC I've also been told to get only Intel processors. Trouble I'm finding is the most cores available from Dell is 8- core Intel i9 XPS - whereas an Alienware come in a 16-core configuration but with AMD processors...

Will Avid run under an AMD or do I need to get ONLY Intel? If the latter, I saw a Precision desktop with 32 c ore but it said it ran 3.0GHz to 4.1 GHz Turbo (and other processor were at upwards of 5 GHz...? And what's an Intel Xenon processor? Will those run AMC?

Sorry to be so dense but if I'm gonna drop $5K I wqnt to be sure it work...

Thanks! Tom

Dell XPS720, quadcore 3.6 GHz, 28 GB RAM, Avid Media Composer v8.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Sat, Sep 11 2021 7:09 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 734
    • Points 9,420

Re: Speccing Out a New System

If you have a budget of $5K then I would look at the current ReadMe for qualified machines:

https://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/README_Avid_Editor_v21.6.pdf

There are many desktops that would fall within this figure there. My personal preference is for HP since their reliability and support seem better than Dell and Avid themselves have said this is the feedback from engineering.

Many on that list are qualified with only 6/8 cores. Whether you need a 'very minimum' of 8 may depend on the type of work you do - RGB 4:4:4, 4K, many layers/FX e.g. and etc. I have not found any problems with my qualified laptop and a 6 core i7 yet though, even with 4K. The ReadMe however, also details feature performance and core requirements also, though it has always seemed to me unecessarily strict and the reality is that you are mostly always having to render complex intensive graphic led sequences for final finishing no matter the power of the pc at hand - and the simple final render is still one of the beauties of Avid, that is a great leveller for all pcs, unlike some other nles.Yes

Just to add about your question on Xeon. They are the top Intel enterprise procs that normally go with error corrected ram for greater precision. Traditionally, the only way to get the power and cores necessary for Avid was to use dual processors and that was only avaiable with Xeons. These days there is, IMV, little point in choosing one over an i9 or some i7s. They still do have a higher core count though. The feature performance details I referred to seem quite out of date to me now and don't seem to have been updated, for some time, in light of new faster higher core processors or systems.

MC with Symphony option, 2021.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 11 2021 11:39 AM In reply to

Tom Cook:

Folks:

I've been advised previously that an 8-core system is the very minimum I need if I want decent performnce while editing with AMC I've also been told to get only Intel processors. Trouble I'm finding is the most cores available from Dell is 8- core Intel i9 XPS - whereas an Alienware come in a 16-core configuration but with AMD processors...

Will Avid run under an AMD or do I need to get ONLY Intel? If the latter, I saw a Precision desktop with 32 c ore but it said it ran 3.0GHz to 4.1 GHz Turbo (and other processor were at upwards of 5 GHz...? And what's an Intel Xenon processor? Will those run AMC?

Sorry to be so dense but if I'm gonna drop $5K I wqnt to be sure it work...

Thanks! Tom

I've been editing on my Ryzen 7 3700x for about 4 years now. It's an 8 core CPU, and it works really well with Avid Media Composer. The issue is of course that it's not qualified, so If you do have any issues with your system you're on your own. Avid doesn't qualify every system that works with media composer. Personally, If I was to buy a new computer, I would get a qualified one just because of the support - but as I say, I haven't had any problems due to my processor over these years. 

https://philipkapadia.com/my-equipment [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 11 2021 2:48 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,421
    • Points 54,975

I have been doing this since the '90s. A clean software environment is just as important as the hardware. Many manufactured computers are loaded with bloatware, free trials, etc. For that reason, I have assembled my own PC's.

That aside, for video work in general, higher clock speeds has always yeilded better performance than core counts, the RAM should complement the processor, not be a bottleneck.]

For a workgroup, a qualified system is very important. For singuliar off line editing, not so much.

If you are in a high stress production line of work do not overlook the quality of electric power supplying your suite. Quality electric receptacles, electrical circuts that are not also carrying high draw heavy current inrush loads (like an AC) are important.]

PC power supplies work best when outputting 40-65 percent of expected load.

Best of luckl.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 21.9. Win 21H2  Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 19/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sat, Sep 11 2021 3:14 PM In reply to

• Tom Cook
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 230
    • Points 2,880

Mercer: Thanks for the rapid reply and advice. So I'm of the assumtion that you (like a few others advising me) feel an 8-core system has sufficie nt ooomph to handle most AMC demands...? Sure wouldn't mind saving a few $$$. Tom

Dell XPS720, quadcore 3.6 GHz, 28 GB RAM, Avid Media Composer v8.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 11 2021 4:14 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 734
    • Points 9,420

Tom Cook:

Mercer: Thanks for the rapid reply and advice. So I'm of the assumtion that you (like a few others advising me) feel an 8-core system has sufficie nt ooomph to handle most AMC demands...? Sure wouldn't mind saving a few $$. Tom

As I say Tom it depends on your workflow. If you are buying a system as a state of the art finishing system then you'd probably still want the high end dual Xeon multi core ones but in my experience even those require rendering output at some point. I would pick from the qualified list and $5K should get you a good HP Z2/4 with a good graphics card and plenty of ram. I would think an 8 core i7/9 in them would be enough for most work in Avid right now.Yes

MC with Symphony option, 2021.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 11 2021 4:39 PM In reply to

• Tom Cook
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 230
    • Points 2,880

John: As I always get from the forum, great advice, thanks. Appreciate the comments...

• Sun, Sep 12 2021 12:10 PM In reply to

• scocklin
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Maryland
    • Posts 677
    • Points 8,230

My 9 year old Z800 work station died during an edit 2 weeks ago,  the computer just shut down in the middle of an edit and it would not re-start.  

I purchased a refurbished Z6 G4, like the Z800 the Z6 has room to grow (avability for a second processor, more memory) Price was in your ball park.  

Love the increase in speed! RIP z800.

HP-Z6-G4 Workstation, 1-Xeon 4216 16 core processor, 64GB 2933MHz DDR4 ECC Memory, P4000 GPU, 512GB NVMe 1TB NVMe, Thunderbolt 3 controller, 1 Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 12 2021 3:32 PM In reply to

• Tom Cook
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 230
    • Points 2,880

Socklin - sorry to hear about the death in the family but thanks for the advice. Can you enlighten me on a point - I keep seeing options for "second processor" (and you referecned it) but what's THAT do when/if I originally but an 18-core. Does THAT mean I have 18 processors going to begin with...? 

Thanks again. Tom

• Tue, Sep 14 2021 4:04 PM In reply to

• LDV20
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2011
    • Posts 367
    • Points 4,370

Tom Cook:
    Sorry to be so dense but if I'm gonna drop $5K I wqnt to be sure it work..

FYI - Can't go worng with qualified HP system  if you have the budget and the need.    You can also get an i9,(10920X)   64gigmemory,SSD C drive,thundrbolt 3 -1000 watt PSU and case for under 3K -  (grahphic card might be a bit more depends what you choose) -. Got BM 4K mini monitor card - raid 5 - sata drives - external drives.  SDI  going to Flanders monitor.   Fast transcoding as well. This is what I have had running for a year now and have not had any problems - pushing 4K with plenty effects - sometimes I have to render a bit when I work in 10bit 1080P with alot of tracks and effects with  linked media.    I think this is do to a lousy raid card.  Perfect edit flow when I transcode for final edit.

BTW   I  keep the machine lean without any bloatware.

Symphony 2021.5 - Win 10 pro (20H2),Gigabyte X299X with i9 10920X CPU, Quadro P2000,driver 461.72; 64gig memory, 1TB NV system drive, WD 4TB, BM Min Monitor... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller