Latest post Fri, Oct 1 2021 9:23 AM by Pat Horridge. 99 replies.
Page 3 of 7 (100 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 20 2021 12:07 PM In reply to

Re: 11-25% support price increase for Perpetual

My Auto-Activate of my Perpetual License is due on October 29, 2021. From what is said below, I understand I can renew my Licence just now - correct?

MB: ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate. CPU: Intel Eight Core i9-9900K/3600 16MB Cache, SATA Hard Disks Raid (2x4 TB), GPU 1200MHz. GC: Gainward RTX2080 Super... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 20 2021 12:33 PM In reply to

Yes sopke to my reseller and they are invoicing me now. My contract will then extend to Dec 2022

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

• Fri, Aug 20 2021 9:36 PM In reply to

BarkinMadd:
    I happen to have the Symphony option

You could let your MC Perpetual lapse, keeping your perpetual Symphony option, and subscribe to MC Standard for 239/yr. The only limitation is that Standard won't support shared storage, whereas your current perpetual does.

BarkinMadd:
    there is no MC + Symphany-only subscription

There is in a way. You can subscribe to MC Standard (239/yr) and add the Symphony option as a monthly (24.95/mo) or yearly (199/yr) subscription but then you're awfully close to just getting Ultimate for 499.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 20 2021 10:26 PM In reply to

wmcole:

Why do subscriptions not work for the occasional, non-professional user?  Simple; they function like legalized ransomware.  If you don’t pay-up by a date certain, you lose access to YOUR OWN CREATIONS, YOUR OWN DATA, YOUR OWN CONTENT!  Even without obsolescence or end-of-life of supporting tools and environment you lose you creative output because you won’t pay for the “key” to “unlock” your data.  With a permanent license, even if I no longer pay the support contract for updates, I can still access MY data, MY creations.

Spot on 👍 

More and more competition is on the horizon... Adobe is a far far far larger company than avid, and is buying frame IO for billions which I guess would take a shot at Avid's project sharing features (along with adobe's project sharing features added in 2021). Avid doesn't have the capacity to make as many mistakes as it once did.

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

• Sat, Aug 21 2021 7:34 AM In reply to

But doesn't the ransinware argument apply to Adobe and their subscription model. But worse their lack of backwards compatability leaves your old projects inaccessible even if your subscription is active.

Too often I have Adobe users asking how they can open a project just a few years old. With MC I can still access decade old projects.

And all edit jobs should output a SAS output for reworking latter. That at least keeps the final content viable. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

• Sat, Aug 21 2021 10:27 AM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

But doesn't the ransinware argument apply to Adobe and their subscription model. But worse their lack of backwards compatability leaves your old projects inaccessible even if your subscription is active.

Too often I have Adobe users asking how they can open a project just a few years old. With MC I can still access decade old projects.

And all edit jobs should output a SAS output for reworking latter. That at least keeps the final content viable. 

Yes, It does apply to Adobe and their subscription model too, I was talking about a separate point that it's not 2003 where there was virtually no competition to professional NLE's to cut long-form media. Resolve 17.3 and Adobe + frame IO are upping the ante.

You've mentioned one (big) advantage with avid over other NLE's, but as much as I like avid, it has some (big) drawbacks too. 

It's also important to remember that the professional post prod space is one small portion of a very big market. Apple couldn't be asked to babysit the professionals with fcpx

Editing Movie Magic.

• Sat, Aug 21 2021 2:55 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 738
    • Points 9,485

Lots of interesting comments here, I'm glad that my post created some discussion!

I understand Avid, as a business, are trying to move all new customers going forward to a subscription, because it's more profitable for them and the proof is that it is cheaper than perpetual, therefore there is no incentive for new customers to choose perpetual.

But longstanding existing customers are being treated unfairly here - in my case 20 years and a jump from £320 to £400, for support I hardly ever use and 12 months of upgrades. The cost is not, in my case an issue, it is tax deductable, a small cost in the scheme of things. But I return to the issue of pace of development for that money and for that 25% increase. Titler+ is very poor still and Symphony has stagnated into torpor. In the same period Davinci Resolve has catapulted to 17.3 - Fairliight alone now has better features than the £2K Pro Tools HD, for a single one off payment of £295, without having to buy BMD hardware.

In current UK TV broadcast online/offline Avid MC work - my business sector - there is nothing that has been introduced in the last 2-3 years that really warrants any further payment, since everywhere is on 2018 still - as I said earlier YMMV. Infact at the rate of adoption in this sector, it would be cheaper for me to have waited to buy a new perpetual licence, eventually. As is I shall rent going forwards, only if I need a particular feature and only for the duration of that gig.

MC with Symphony option, 2021.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 21 2021 3:28 PM In reply to

Absolutely agree Mercer, it's not the cost (although that is annoying) it is the lack of improvement that bugs me. I'm on Symph every single day and it is dire.

Seeing Marianna's post about the 2021.9 event that's happening really gave me a feeling of I am Jack's Complete Lack of Surprise when I read that some of the new features were more video and audio tracks, a dockable effect palette and being able to snap frames to a grid in your bin. Like, are you serious? What is this recent obsession with minimal cosmetic upgrades? Where is the proper improvement being done? I could care less about snapping to a grid, what a waste of development time - I want sub frame audio, I want better colour corrector, I want a better tracker, better paint tools, video noise reduction, a title tool that is not just basic but excellent and that actually works. I really don't think this is too much to ask, this is literally the cost of doing business these days, literally every other NLE is able to do these things.

Why is Avid wasting time on these minor improvements? Who is in charge of deciding where development time is being spent? Whoever it is needs to pull their finger out and reassess whether it would be better to have competing high quality features or just be known as the NLE with "most bin colouring options"™

Urgh, it's so frustrating to see Avid squandering goodwill like this, I want them to succeed, it's in my interest for them to succeed but they seem to be doing everything possible to become obselete. 

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2021.12 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 21 2021 3:44 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 738
    • Points 9,485

Absolutely Rip! There has definitely been some problems (i.e. cost cutting) in the development team - cosmetic and unecessary extra features, whilst the major features that matter to some at the high end, i.e. IMF, ACES, immersive sound have not kept pace with their competition, i.e. Resolve Studio (it's not for nothing Fairlight is recommended by Netflix explicitly over Pro Tools these days, not to mention over Symphony forever) And as you say bugs too! I don't mind paying 25% more, if development was hugely innovative. Look at how long it has taken them to get the interface vaguely working, Titler+ functioning and to fully transition away from 32bit Quicktime!!

I only own my own Avid because I have a a small boutique facility and I online as well as offline but I am alone amongst most of my fellow editors in owning or paying for Avid at all, since most facilities either give you a temporary licence or you are remoting via Teradici, HP ZCentral or Quadras. Which is another option for me too. I have used my own copy of Avid actually this year, so far, for a total of 3 weeks! Why should I drop £400 now down the funnel to Avid then?

MC with Symphony option, 2021.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 21 2021 5:26 PM In reply to

ripvanmarlowe:

I'm on Symph every single day and it is dire.

Please look into baselight. There is so much wrong with symphony - it's creatively limiting. 

The amazing baselight can do everything that the colour panel in resolve can do - I prefer Baselight than Resolve!

Completely agree with everyone here. I've only used MC for a few years, has the development pace of avid always been this slow?

Editing Movie Magic.

• Sat, Aug 21 2021 5:40 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 738
    • Points 9,485

Philip Kapadia:
    The amazing baselight can do everything that the colour panel in resolve can do - I prefer Baselight than Resolve!

Philip, I'm not going to pay a £1000 for a plugin to get Avid up to date when the industry standard online tools in my work are either Symphony (still) or preferably Resolve Studio. It's not a preference it's what tools you're mostly required to work on. And since I've already paid for the Symphony option and DR Studio both, doubly so. I don't know Baselight but I can't imagine there's anything lacking in Resolve for even the highest end work and the pace of development, is as I say on steroids - sadly one hasn't been able to say the same for Symphony, for many yearsSmile

Another thing I forgot to mention is that Avid's mea culpa for increasing the prices, is frankly a load of crock - Almost universally subscription for creative content creation software is loathed by the consumer and far from every software company uses it - It only plays well to a corporate balance sheet, so be it I understand but that doesn't explain a 25% hike. The real reason is like many businesses Avid has been hit hard by Covid - there was little to no production earlier this year and a while before, and therefore much less editing going on. They need to recoup that drop in revenue quick and make it scan good to the customerYes

• Sat, Aug 21 2021 5:57 PM In reply to

Mercer:

Philip Kapadia:

Philip, I'm not going to pay a £1000 for a plugin to get Avid up to date when the industry standard online tools in my work are either Symphony (still) or preferably Resolve Studio. It's not a preference it's what tools you're mostly required to work on. And since I've already paid for the Symphony option and DR Studio both, doubly so. I don't know Baselight but I can't imagine there's anything lacking in Resolve for even the highest end work and the pace of development, is as I say on steroids - sadly one hasn't been able to say the same for Symphony, for many yearsSmile

Another thing I forgot to mention is that Avid's mea culpa for increasing the prices, is frankly a load crock - Almost universally subscription for creative content creation software is loathed by the consumer and far from every software company uses it - It only plays well to a corporate balance sheet, so be it I understand but the that doesn't explain a 25% hike. The real reason is like many businesses Avid has been hit hard by Covid - there was little to no production earlier this year and a while before, and therefore much less editing going on. They need to recoup that drop in revenue quick and make it scan good to the customerYes

Completely understand. SYM needs to improve. I'm a freelancer with my edit suite in my bedroom (it's amazing to sleep in an edit suite - trust me), and that's my solution. 

I'm lead to belive that the colour science is better in baselight than resolve (whatever that means) and I love BSLT's interface. 

Depending on the show, I would rather work in SYM than having to deal with the faff of AAF'ing into resolve. (One reason why I think the 1000 for baslight pays for itself)

Editing Movie Magic.

• Sat, Aug 21 2021 7:24 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,284
    • Points 15,660

Mercer:

In the same period Davinci Resolve has catapulted to 17.3 - Fairliight alone now has better features than the £2K Pro Tools HD, for a single one off payment of £295, without having to buy BMD hardware.

I wasn't going to post this thing I received within an hour of the Avid price increase... but since you mentioned it:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/release/20210819-02

Support of the new Apple chip with a 3X speed increase... meanwhile we're still hoping for GPU acceleration.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig RAM, Mojo DX, 10.14.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.11.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 21 2021 7:27 PM In reply to

I use Baselight at facilities and I love the implementation of the BLG workflow that comes with the plugin, it is genius and I can't tell you the  amount of time I spent "roundtripping" a 40 frame online change back through Baselight via an HDCAM SR deck just to add the grade to it that no longer needs to happen because of it.  It's a huge timesaver and I like Baselight a lot. But I'm not going to pay for it for my home kit because the client I'm working for won't pay me any more for having it. I've already done them big favours by buying licenses for Mocha Pro, Photoshop, Neat Video and Accusonus simply to make my life easier to make up for Avid's huge disadvantages.

So my gripe is that in order for MC to truly compete, i'd be spending the £400 renewal, plus probably over two grands worth of additional plugins because I need to do finishing on my work too. Fine for the big boys in Soho, doable for me but is it worth it? Not when, like others have said, Resolve has most of what Avid is lacking for less than 300 quid and you OWN it fully. No one wants to buy an editor today that is great at offline and does nothing else, that's not where the market has gone, there's great value in being able to finish all in one box and Avid is not currently providing great value.

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2021.12 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 21 2021 7:45 PM In reply to

ripvanmarlowe:

I use Baselight at facilities and I love the implementation of the BLG workflow that comes with the plugin, it is genius and I can't tell you the  amount of time I spent "roundtripping" a 40 frame online change back through Baselight via an HDCAM SR deck just to add the grade to it that no longer needs to happen because of it.  It's a huge timesaver and I like Baselight a lot. But I'm not going to pay for it for my home kit because the client I'm working for won't pay me any more for having it. I've already done them big favours by buying licenses for Mocha Pro, Photoshop, Neat Video and Accusonus simply to make my life easier to make up for Avid's huge disadvantages.

So my gripe is that in order for MC to truly compete, i'd be spending the £400 renewal, plus probably over two grands worth of additional plugins because I need to do finishing on my work too. Fine for the big boys in Soho, doable for me but is it worth it? Not when, like others have said, Resolve has most of what Avid is lacking for less than 300 quid and you OWN it fully. No one wants to buy an editor today that is great at offline and does nothing else, that's not where the market has gone, there's great value in being able to finish all in one box and Avid is not currently providing great value.

Andi

Re: BSLT and plugins That makes perfect sense. 

ripvanmarlowe:

Support of the new Apple chip with a 3X speed increase... meanwhile we're still hoping for GPU acceleration

This makes me laugh. 

Editing Movie Magic.

Page 3 of 7 (100 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller