Latest post Fri, Aug 20 2021 11:09 AM by Pat Horridge. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 18 2021 12:14 AM

Workaround for problem that MC First projects not open in MC.

Hi all -

My producer half cut her project with an editor using MC First. Thanks to this forum, I have discovered that the MC year subscription  (and new macbook pro!) I just purchased to work on this project, will not open MC First Projects or bins. There are so many rushes and so much has already been done, its not an option for MC First editor to create mpegs/QTs of his sequences and for me to attempt to eye match these. Any ideas re. work arounds? Should I UNintstall my new MC Ultimate and try and install MC First? As I have already subscribed for paid MC - it will not let me install a free/trial version will it? So does that mean I need to create another email address and apply to download MC First - andif so, will it then install on same MAC as I just installed the new MC Ultimate. Does First have similar enough functionality or have significant limitations - or am I indeed better off starting from scratch with MC?

• Fri, Aug 20 2021 11:04 AM In reply to

Re: Workaround for problem that MC First projects not open in MC.

Bettina Inc.:

Hi all -

My producer half cut her project with an editor using MC First. Thanks to this forum, I have discovered that the MC year subscription  (and new macbook pro!) I just purchased to work on this project, will not open MC First Projects or bins. There are so many rushes and so much has already been done, its not an option for MC First editor to create mpegs/QTs of his sequences and for me to attempt to eye match these. Any ideas re. work arounds? Should I UNintstall my new MC Ultimate and try and install MC First? As I have already subscribed for paid MC - it will not let me install a free/trial version will it? So does that mean I need to create another email address and apply to download MC First - andif so, will it then install on same MAC as I just installed the new MC Ultimate. Does First have similar enough functionality or have significant limitations - or am I indeed better off starting from scratch with MC?

Hi Bettina, 

I understand this must be very frustrating. I think the reason why avid doesn't alow MC first and the paid versions of MC to share projects together is to stop people like me, who would use one system (paid MC version) to edit, and another system (MC first) to prepare and transcode material. They want me to pay for two seats. 

For this reason, I don't think MC first can export AAF's or EDL's although I'm happy to be proven wrong with this.

I think your best option is to finish this project in MC first, the only alternative is to export a H.264 and cut it by eye. 

If you want to install MC first on a system with MC standard or Ultimate subscriptions activated, you have to deactivate the paid avid subscription via Avid Link, then when de-activated, open up Media Composer and it should give you an option to run the app as MC First.

Hope this helps!

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

• Fri, Aug 20 2021 11:09 AM In reply to

Re: Workaround for problem that MC First projects not open in MC.

As Philip says MC First can't export anything useful to MC regular by design.

Even finishing in MC First you would have to check you can export a final file as you need. Even the export options are limited.

So if MC First can export what you need then complete the job in MC First. If not start again in MC regular.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller