Latest post Sat, Jul 31 2021 3:30 PM by Fishflood. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 22 2021 5:30 PM

• Fishflood
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 22 2021
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

AVID crashing at end of import of full feature

Doing a low budget feature on my Macbook Pro (2016). For the last two months I've had no problem exporting the full feature to same as source quicktimes. Now it craps out at the end of the export. I can export the 6 parts individually no problem and the feature is 20 minutes shorter than it was before this problem started, so length isn't an issue. No sure what could have possibly changed. 

Any thoughts?

Filed under: , ,
  • Thu, Jul 29 2021 9:00 AM In reply to

Re: AVID crashing at end of import of full feature

Fishflood:

Doing a low budget feature on my Macbook Pro (2016). For the last two months I've had no problem exporting the full feature to same as source quicktimes. Now it craps out at the end of the export. I can export the 6 parts individually no problem and the feature is 20 minutes shorter than it was before this problem started, so length isn't an issue. No sure what could have possibly changed. 

Any thoughts?

I'm not quite sure what the error could be, because I'm on the newer versions of Media Composer, and I use the ume mp4 option to export my sequences.

Have you rendered all the effects on your timeline prior to exporting?

A workaround could be exporting as a op1a DNxHD HQ and transcoding to whatever format you need via Adobe media encoder or shutter encoder. 

https://philipkapadia.com/my-equipment [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 29 2021 11:13 AM In reply to

Fishflood:
    No sure what could have possibly changed. 

Has your version of Media Composer or the MacOS changed?

Media Composer 2021.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Jul 29 2021 3:49 PM In reply to

• Fishflood
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

No. I'm using the most current AVID version and Big Sur. AVID is saying it's audio media and I've isolated it to my music tracks. I've found out from two different assistant editors that randome music and SFX files will occasionally not be friendly to long timelines. It's a bug that AVID hasn't been able to trace yet..... apparently.

• Thu, Jul 29 2021 4:59 PM In reply to

Fishflood:

No. I'm using the most current AVID version and Big Sur. AVID is saying it's audio media and I've isolated it to my music tracks. I've found out from two different assistant editors that randome music and SFX files will occasionally not be friendly to long timelines. It's a bug that AVID hasn't been able to trace yet..... apparently.

If your on the most recent version of MC, why don't you use the UME engine to export your sequence? Is there something specific you need from quick time? Have you tried other engines/plugins or only QuickTime?

I wouldn't however be supprised if it was a bug. Video is the most complicated thing a personal computer can do. Avid media composer is a massive app. 

https://philipkapadia.com/my-equipment [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 31 2021 12:12 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Bainbridge Island, WA
    • Posts 5,560
    • Points 64,815
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Check the console to see if there are any error messages being thrown up during export.  Or, do an export of the problematic section at the end.  A few tries to figure out how far it goes before failing and then changing the marks and exporting again should help you locate the bad media.  Chances are it's something added recently.  Lift or mute likely clips until you find the bad clip(s) and remove or replace.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sat, Jul 31 2021 2:55 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,414
    • Points 54,880

The problem for me has always been damaged frames at the beginning or end of clips. Possibly removing (if possible) the extreme beginnings or end of clips. Out of sync or missing video frames has also caused grief.

Good luck...

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 21.5. Win 20H2  Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 18/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sat, Jul 31 2021 3:30 PM In reply to

• Fishflood
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Thank you! This was genius advice!

The part that makes me crazy is that the bad music file worked fine in the parts the feature is broken up into, just not when the 6 pieces were joined. 

• Sun, Aug 1 2021 7:13 AM In reply to

If its just the audio can you not do an audio mix down and cut that in as the audio to export. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller