Latest post Thu, Jul 8 2021 1:03 AM by jef. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 24 2021 12:55 PM

Play both ganged monitors together...

In this day and age why can't i gang the source and record together and have them both play back at once in unison? This would make it much easier to get a quick idea of if things are in sync. Whichever monitor is in focus would decide which audio is played. 

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 2 2021 12:44 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,801
    • Points 48,785
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Play both ganged monitors together...

Ganged monitors are designed to be used when scrolling with the playhead in the timeline. When you play a clip in the source or record monitor, only that monitor is played with the accomponying audio.When you stop playing, the other monitor is synced up.

When I'm cutting a multicam clip, and my clips have no genlock or synced timecode, this is what I use to match up the movement in the clips. I find a spot in both clips that I can easily identify, put the playhead for both clips at that spot and then gang the monitors together. Then I scroll the timeline playhead and see if the clips are in sync. If not, I remove the gang, move the playhead in the source monitor and regang until the clips are in sync. Then I cut the section I want from the source and drop it in place.

You can also do the same with the source monitor. Whichever one you choose will also play back the audio for that monitor. But it won't play back at normal speed.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Jul 2 2021 1:48 PM In reply to

Yes, I'm asking for it to play back at normal speed. When grouping clips with loose timecode I do the same thing you describe above. Sometimes I want to watch them both play to get a sense of the movement between the two. That way I can listen to the audio from one clip playing in time with the picture of the other clip without having to put them in a group first.  It's just an extra option to judge sync. Shouldn't be too hard to play them both at once.  

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 2 2021 3:08 PM In reply to

Yes that would obviously be nice to see. +1

Having both TC counters update visibly in real tine during a trim would also be great.

My oldest trick from AVR-3 days, was to use the SuperImpose FX, watch both cams at once and just undo the blend inside my brain. Its AVR-3 anyway...Good way to screen twice the footage in half the time.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 3 2021 3:21 PM In reply to

+1

Having this feature would be great for cutting performance music videos; just as I used to on tape...

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 2018.12.13 OS 10.13.4 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 7 2021 10:56 PM In reply to

• Mark A
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,115

+1 for me.... just like lightworks had 20 years ago!

Imac 5k 4GHz I7 16GB ram 10.14.5 MC19.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 8 2021 1:03 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,886
    • Points 46,875

To be fair, this request - while I get it and would use it - is pretty close to multi cam.  A little creative thinking can get you there.  But the idea is definitely worthwhile.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller