Latest post Thu, Jun 10 2021 11:56 PM by Fazz Powell. 50 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 21 2021 8:33 AM In reply to

• Alan C.
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Queensland, Australia
    • Posts 300
    • Points 4,000

Re: Anyone using nvidia RTX 3070 with a 2021 MC?

Thank you Pat, yes what you suggest makes perfect sense, and I've already done that, maybe 3 or 4 times.  The most recent New User setup was from Carl's recent suggestion, and this time I didn't bother with setting up any new Workspaces, just used the standard Workspaces, and I didn't even customise any of those, I went straight to Bin Layouts, no imports, just set them up from scratch.  The crashes started much earlier than my former 'from the ground up' User Settings, because formerly I set up Workspaces before moving to Bin Layouts.  This time, because I suspect Bin Layouts to be the problem I set up Bin Layouts first, and sure enough, the crashes came.

To clarify, it's only MC that crashes, I've never had an OS crash on the new computer, and it's logs show that there have been no critical errors at all since I began using it.

Further, Karen from Avid has taken one of my simple Test projects that was crashing upon switching Workspaces, (she has witnessed some crashes while monitoring my computer), but she has navigated in my Project on her computer and experienced no problems.

This is why my head is spinning Sad

Intel 10th Gen i9-10900F CPU. ASUS Intel Z490 Chipset TUF PLUS GAMING ATX OEM Motherboard 32GB Kingston DDR4 3200 MHz Gaming RAM with Heatsink. NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 21 2021 4:05 PM In reply to

• touviere7
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 15 2010
    • los angeles
    • Posts 699
    • Points 8,000

Dom Q. Silverio:

Check Media Composer's media cache setting. It reserves a pool of memory based on your settings for FX heavy playback.

yep, right on the money, dom Idea

definitively makes much more sense now, as i use quite a bit there Yes

symphony 2020.12 - win 10 pro64 v.21H1 - nVidia gtx1080 OC (462.31 studio) - intel i7 6800k @4.2ghz water cooled by corsair H100i V2 - MSI X99A - 112GB... [view my complete system specs]

the time you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted time...

• Mon, May 24 2021 11:29 PM In reply to

• Alan C.
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Queensland, Australia
    • Posts 300
    • Points 4,000

One thing I haven't done, and usually one of the first trouble shoot actions people with software problems take, is an uninstall/reinstall. I'll do that today and take the opportunity to update to 2021.5 via an uninstall.

Intel 10th Gen i9-10900F CPU. ASUS Intel Z490 Chipset TUF PLUS GAMING ATX OEM Motherboard 32GB Kingston DDR4 3200 MHz Gaming RAM with Heatsink. NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 25 2021 8:08 AM In reply to

Good shout. After the uninstall I'd also delete all the Media Composer folders (make sure you have projects backed up) just to clear out any lingering files.

Then do a clean install.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Tue, May 25 2021 11:15 AM In reply to

• Alan C.
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Queensland, Australia
    • Posts 300
    • Points 4,000

Hasn't helped, same as before I'm afraid. 
    I reinstalled before I saw your post Pat.  What do you mean by all the Media Composer folders?  My project folders are on a separate drive to the C drive.  Anyway, no I didn't delete any other folders, just uninstalled.

After reinstall I worked slowly step by step to get back to where I was before.  I created a New User and deleted the Bin Layouts that were in Project Settings. I imported my customised keyboard from my previous User Setting, the only thing I imported.
    All was going fine, no crashes as I changed Workspaces UNTIL I set up my first custom Workspace.

The upshot is that I can't deviate from the four standard Workspaces and Bin Layouts.  Stick with the standard set up, MC is happy. Create a new Workspace and/or Bin Layout - trouble. 
    To be clear, I didn't copy or import a Workspace or Bin Layout, I set them up inside MC from scratch.  So it can't be a corruption issue.

• Fri, May 28 2021 8:02 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,793
    • Points 44,865
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Alan,

I've been thinking more about what might fix your trouble and I have a couple of ideas.

If you have not been extracting the installer packages for the past few years to the root of your C: drive (not inside any folder), you should do that.  If you have not been running the installer launcher (the .exe file that begins the install process) as administrator, you should do that.  Once you've extracted the installer zip to the root of the C: drive, right-click on that .exe file and select "Run as administrator" to begin installation.  Don't simply double-click it.

Those two things have become important over the years and while you might not see any problems during the install or while using MC if you don't do those things, there's a good chance that there will be problems that show up for what seems like no apparent reason.

So, if you didn't do those two things for your last install, repeat the process following those two rules.  You don't have to uninstall first to do this as long as you're reinstalling the same version on top of itself.

Scott

• Fri, May 28 2021 8:05 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,793
    • Points 44,865

The extracted files shown in the screenshot should be on C:.

Scott

• Tue, Jun 1 2021 12:21 PM In reply to

• Alan C.
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Queensland, Australia
    • Posts 300
    • Points 4,000

Thank you Scott, I appreciate that you have been pondering on my problem.  No, I did not utilise either of those methods when installing.

I've been away interstate for a few days and I'll follow your advice when I return home tomorrow.

Thank you.

• Wed, Jun 2 2021 1:25 PM In reply to

• Alan C.
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Queensland, Australia
    • Posts 300
    • Points 4,000

Uninstalled and reinstalled from root of C drive as administrator, but no change in behaviour, I'm still getting crashes when switching Workspaces.

I'm no computer tech obviously, but my instincts tell me that this is a processing problem, specifically a problem processing the opening and positioning of Bins.  The computer's processor is very fast of course, and it shouldn't be having a problem with a seemingly simple task, but the fact is, it is a problem.  There is a definite incompatibility somewhere.

When I switch Workspaces successfully, the switch happens quickly and smoothly.  However, it isn't long before a Workspace change causes a process bar icon to show and to jerk and falter as the Workspace change is taking place.  It's only for a second, maybe even less, but I've seen it so many times now, it's like a warning to me.  Uh oh!  Sure enough, up comes the Exception notice and the crash alert that can be sent to Avid.  Nothing I can do but restart.  A total time wasting momentum killer.

The theory has been that it's the video card, (hence the subject of this thread), but I'm not at all sure that it's the culprit.  It's not easy for me to try another card, but if I thought that the card was at fault I would just purchase another and sell this one.  And if that doesn't change anything??

Thanks for the help though.

• Wed, Jun 2 2021 2:45 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,793
    • Points 44,865

I won't say it isn't the video card or graphics drivers but in my own experience those are rarely the real issue when only one piece of software has problems.  Have you noticed any issues at all with other software or with the computer in general?

Has this problem going back through multiple MC versions been on the same computer or has this happened with other computers?  Has it happened on different versions of Windows?

Scott

• Thu, Jun 3 2021 2:32 AM In reply to

• Alan C.
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Queensland, Australia
    • Posts 300
    • Points 4,000

smyers63:

I won't say it isn't the video card or graphics drivers but in my own experience those are rarely the real issue when only one piece of software has problems.  Have you noticed any issues at all with other software or with the computer in general?

Has this problem going back through multiple MC versions been on the same computer or has this happened with other computers?  Has it happened on different versions of Windows?

This is a brand new computer Scott.  It has no history, purchased specifically as an editing workstation just a few months ago.  Media Composer 2021.2 was the first software installed.  I also have Reaper and Davinci Resolve, VideoProc, Libre and a few other odds and ends, but it's essentially for editing only.  The other programs work great, no glitches whatsoever.  In fact MC works great on it too, except for this one area - switching Workspaces.

• Thu, Jun 3 2021 6:30 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,912
    • Points 70,030

Time to try a different nVdia driver IMHO. And is the actual driver set up as per the Readme file?

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Jun 4 2021 2:12 AM In reply to

• Alan C.
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Queensland, Australia
    • Posts 300
    • Points 4,000

luca.mg:

Time to try a different nVdia driver IMHO. And is the actual driver set up as per the Readme file?

So you believe the problem is graphics card or driver Luca?

You may not have seen previous information I've provided, but I have tried installing two updated drivers other than the original driver, 461.4.  I'm now running what I believe is the current driver, 462.59.  As for the ReadMe info, no I didn't consult that.  I've had a look now and I can only see information that pertains to ProTools.  If you can point me to the information you're referring to, that would be helpful.

As nothing I've tried over many weeks has made any difference I'm considering drastic options.

1.  Alternative graphics card.  I know that Avid have always favoured Quadro cards and a supplier near here has two Quadro cards available, a Leadtek Quadro P2200, and a Leadtek RTX 4000. If that doesn't help.

2.   Sell this computer and purchase another, 'try before I buy' only.  Probably means a second hand machine similar to this

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wellington-point/desktops/-threadripper-gaming-and-productivity-rig-/1275348157

Suggestions welcomed.

• Fri, Jun 4 2021 7:09 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,912
    • Points 70,030

Hi Alan, page 37, chapter "Setting up the NVIDIA card". I'd take a look at the trim settings within MC too, there should be something regarding realtime playback or similiar which may be related, as soon as I reach an Avid I'll check to provvide more accurate info. Also make sure that the main Windows monitor is number 1 on the left side, and that the Timeline and the Composer window are on monitor 2.

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Jun 4 2021 7:38 AM In reply to

Hi there

You said

"Also make sure that the main Windows monitor is number 1 on the left side, and that the Timeline and the Composer window are on monitor 2."

Can I ask is this a documented requirement or just your experience. I've just not heard this before 

Thanks

25 MC 8.5 x Mostly PC Terrablock ISIS 1000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 4 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller