Latest post Thu, May 20 2021 8:38 AM by NotsoLinearEditor. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 13 2021 6:46 PM

Why do bins in the Avid Attic have a different file extension?

Hi all,

I was wondering why whenever we take a bin out of the avid attic, we have to re-name the extension from .1 or whatever the number is to .avb? 

Ryzen/GTX H/W (I know) [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 13 2021 8:32 PM In reply to

Re: Why do bins in the Avid Attic have a different file extension?

Because they aren't intended to be used as active bins.

The. Number extension indicates the version of that old bin copy.

To use an active bin from the attic you need to select which version you want to restore and copy that to your project and then rename it to. avb

You will also discover you can't have an attic bin open and the original bin. You get a warning that the bonus already open. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, May 13 2021 9:19 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

Because they aren't intended to be used as active bins.

The. Number extension indicates the version of that old bin copy.

To use an active bin from the attic you need to select which version you want to restore and copy that to your project and then rename it to. avb

You will also discover you can't have an attic bin open and the original bin. You get a warning that the bonus already open. 

Thanks, but is there a technical reason/limitation as to why they don't have the same extension other than because they aren't intended to be used as active bins? Just out of interest haha. 

• Thu, May 13 2021 9:57 PM In reply to

I've no idea. I guess only the original development team would know that.

But for sure we don't want users regarding them as regular bins. There is a real danger users coukd find them and attempt to work with them without understanding that they share the same in I'd as active project bins. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Sat, May 15 2021 10:10 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 800
    • Points 10,155

Also makes it much easier to see which version is the latest version saved. Otherwise you'd have to look at date and time stamps - and there's quite a few of them created during a day's edit.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 15 2021 11:36 AM In reply to

Bruno M:

Also makes it much easier to see which version is the latest version saved. Otherwise you'd have to look at date and time stamps - and there's quite a few of them created during a day's edit.

Thanks all

• Sun, May 16 2021 6:56 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,866
    • Points 69,540

Always found the attic files naming quite annoying, it could very well be bin_name.number.avb and maybe this is one for the feature request forum.

Symphony 21.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, May 17 2021 9:55 AM In reply to

luca.mg:

Always found the attic files naming quite annoying, it could very well be bin_name.number.avb and maybe this is one for the feature request forum.

Idk, I don't really mind.

Thankfully, I don't have to go into the Attic much. I think maybe the idea is that if you choose to restore a bin from the attic, you won't have a bin that has a different name - which is why the extension changes and not the name of the actual bin. 

• Thu, May 20 2021 8:38 AM In reply to

luca.mg:

I don't think that it should be a feature.

Attic bins are like all incremental backups, it is usual to do something to distinguish them from the original, for example add them to an archive zip or something. In this case they are just bin files with a different extention hidden in a viewable folder. Maybe they should just hide it instead?

The reason why the avid attic backups cant be opened at the same time as the original, is because they have the same unique bin ID and MC won't allow two bins open with the same ID.

You can change the ID at the same time as you rename the file if you know how - but you have to know the consequences of having bins with assets at multiple stages of development available - especially if you work with multiple editors.

It gets confusing quick - so its best to keep them hidden.

That's why they call it the attic :) it shouldn't be necessary to go in there - but unfortunately I'm in there quite frequently.

As per Avid on my avid machines. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller