Latest post Mon, May 10 2021 1:15 PM by DStone. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 7 2021 2:22 PM

Setting up a TV as a monitor

Hello all!

I've been working from home for most of the last year, as have many, and I'm finally getting around to writing this post. I'm using an HP Z2 Workstation, but my monitor at home wasn't great so I've been using 2 televisions instead. For my main monitor I'm using my Samsung 1080p TV that has great color controls and a decent contrast ratio (much better than my old monitor). Input lag is a thing if I ever try to play games, but that's negligible for editing. My other monitor is an old Insignia 1080p I had in the bedroom. Not great, but the size of both monitors allows me to sit back a little, so that's nice. Both are connected by HDMI to Display Port 1.4 connections on my Quadro p2000 via adapters.

My question is, how should I set up my TV as a monitor to get a reasonable representation of the final output while editing in Avid? I'm mostly outputting for the web.

Right now I'm using the default Win10 color settings, and I've set the TV's settings with the SMPTE color bars Avid provides brought up to full screen in windows. I know there's an RGB to HSL conversion going on, and it seems that Avid makes its own conversion as well. But there are just too many things going on in this setup for me to wrap my head around. And too many things I don't know. I was spoiled for 5 years in a professional editing suite with an external high end Sony color monitor that was professionally calibrated (occasionally). Things have worked out pretty well so far this year by using the WFM in Avid, but I'd really like to be able to fine-tune the color grade a little more.

HP Z2 Tower G4 Workstation

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600 CPU @ 3.10GHz

Quadro P2000

Installed RAM 48.0 GB

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

HP Z2 Tower G4 Workstation, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Quadro P2000, RAM 48.0 GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 10 2021 1:15 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,801
    • Points 48,785
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Setting up a TV as a monitor

There are 2 sets of controls you can use to fine tune the TV. The first are the controls on the TV itself. The second is by using the NVidia control panel. This gives you more options for fine tuning all channels or just a specific channel.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller