Latest post Thu, Apr 15 2021 8:39 PM by Nikolaus Beckett Lindberg. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 13 2021 12:05 AM

Playback Hiccup Troubleshooting (ATTN:Z9PE-D8 WS owners)

Ok, so I'm trying to edit something making cuts on audio, but playback just keeps hiccuping too much to make decsions and verify timing is correct. I'm definitly geting red and yellow lines on the timeline. I dropped from draft quality to best preformance, no difference. The footage on the timeline is DNxHR HQ UHD/30.

Red and Yellow Edit Timeline

I verified the Video SSD is preforming at 6G SATA, has the latest drive frimware, and even ended up solving an issue with the Marvell SATA controller detecting SSDs as HDDs. No change though (although windows will now stop weekly defraging the SDDs on the Marvell controller). I also read somewhere that it would blue lines if it was a disk speed issue, but I also always see people mention disk speed with yellow lines. What is the exact breakdown of line colours? The best explanation I've found is: Red is dropped-frames (I think we can all agree on this), Yellow is slow CPU, and Blue is slow disk. But I haven't been able to verify this is offical.

If yellow really does mean slow CPU, does that mean dual E5-2690s are just too old to playback DNxHR HQ UHD/30? I could try making some DNxHR LB proxies and edit with that, relink later. It just seems like the dual xeons should be able to do HQ, but I could be absolutely wrong. I can play the mxf media in VLC no problems. Although playing a single mxf file in VLC is different than MC playing back selected chunks of mxf media.

I also checked the Media Cache settings. Have Desiered Video Memory set 47GB, 32GB currently allocated. Disk Cache set to 20gb desired, 10gb allocated. So I don't think it's any of that.

I've used Avid Collect Suite to "Check system configuration". I fail DNS lookup of machine name because my home network doesn't have a local DNS. I fail Verify DNS Probing is disabled because I like the network icon showing internet access and if it goes down. I fail virus scanner running, because this machine is connected to the internet and I like not getting viruses. I fail non-recomended windows services, because the first thing the tool wants to disable to fix that is Security Centre, and again this machine is connected to the internet and I like not getting viruses. I fail NTP Cilent/Server Settings with "NTP Client: Server hostname invalid", but I have verified the NTP client host name is valid in the registry. Really not sure about that one. And I fail disabled UAC on Windows, because this machine is connected to the internet and I like knowing when things try to launch as the administrator. I'm fairly sure these failures are all acceptable, but please let me know if I'm mistaken about any of them. Also is there a check system configuration rule database, that's more inline with internet connected machines rather than a studio workstation on corporate network? These checks seem to be more for a computer that's ment to be hidden behind a corporate network than home computer.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe needing to optimise UEFI settings, or even Windows settings. But I'm not sure where to start with that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I overlooked any important details, let me know and I will fill in the blanks.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2690 RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG Strix... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 13 2021 9:22 AM In reply to

Re: Playback Hiccup Troubleshooting (ATTN:Z9PE-D8 WS owners)

What does the windows perfomrance monitor show while attempting to mplayback your media?

Whats maxing out? are all the cores in use? are they being pushed to the limit?

Moving large amounts of data around from storage, into RAM into the CPU for decoding to the GPU for display involves a lot of other motherboard and interconnect routes and any one of those could be a limiting factor.

You could just do a lower than UND video mix down and cut that in as a guide while you perfect the audio.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Tue, Apr 13 2021 5:24 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,411
    • Points 54,825

Is this playback problem after a fresh cool boot, just to rule out an overheating problem. An old Avid recommendation was NOT to defrag Media Drives, as that could affect playback. Running a memory diagnostic may turn up a ram fault. Sometimes on an older PC, the diaelectric grease on the CPU and Bridge chip dries out and prevents proper cooling of the silicon.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 21.5. Win 20H2  Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 18/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Thu, Apr 15 2021 8:39 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

What does the windows perfomrance monitor show while attempting to mplayback your media?

Whats maxing out? are all the cores in use? are they being pushed to the limit?

Moving large amounts of data around from storage, into RAM into the CPU for decoding to the GPU for display involves a lot of other motherboard and interconnect routes and any one of those could be a limiting factor.

You could just do a lower than UND video mix down and cut that in as a guide while you perfect the audio.

15% CPU with spikes to 25-35%, Video disk is 20% active with occasional dips to 9% followed by 35% recovery spikes. Nothing maxes out.

I did eventually switch to DNxHR LB proxies, but it still frame drops durring rapid cutting sequences. I shall have to try going to 1/4 or 1/16 resolution proxies aswell. I did notice, opening an old DNxHR HQ 720p project to relink it's media, it would also frame drop right before cuts. So I'm definitely in this postion of, Is this just the nature of the beast or is there something wrong with my system and I just can't figure out what it is? 

TVJohn:

Is this playback problem after a fresh cool boot, just to rule out an overheating problem. An old Avid recommendation was NOT to defrag Media Drives, as that could affect playback. Running a memory diagnostic may turn up a ram fault. Sometimes on an older PC, the diaelectric grease on the CPU and Bridge chip dries out and prevents proper cooling of the silicon.

Yeah, it still happens with a cold boot. And I've definitely watched the temps with HWMonitor. All within operating temp and no where near hiting the thermal shutdown limit. Media drives aren't defragged because they are SSDs, but they are TRIMed weekly. Ran memtest86, 4 hours later got a pass. I assume by dielectric grease, you mean thermal compound or thermal paste. I would be horrified to find dielectric grease in place of a thermal compound. A month or two ago, I upgraded from E5-2680s to E5-2690s. All fresh thermal compound. And a week or two ago, I replaced the thermal compound on the GPU. The GPU runs much cooler now.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2690 RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG Strix... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller