Latest post Tue, Apr 13 2021 7:28 PM by Philip Kapadia. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 10 2021 8:33 PM

Bug with UME Link when transcoding (Exception:)

Hi all,

I get an error message when transcoding one particular mp4 h.264 clip in my bin into DNxHD SQ. I know it's not a corrupted video clip as it encodes in AME.

Here's the error message: Exception: std::exception, what:ameAMAFI::VideoSampleFuture::ProcessResponse(): sequence failed. Tag/sample 12241/14706 

Here are some screenshots of the bug: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhUa-RaZ2G5OwBRLTPCinaIde8pr?e=6ceF3r

My current solution is to link with QuickTime rather than UME and then transcode. Alternatively, do a legacy QT import. 

May I also just fact check this, because I've heard a lot of different things from lots of different people:

AMA link is a process of bringing your footage in Avid using a plugin. UME is a plugin that you use to bring the footage in. Quicktime is also a plugin that is more suitable for MP4 and MOV files?

MC 2021.3 | Pro Tools 12 HD //CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X //GPU: GTX 1650 //RAM: 32 GIGS DDR 4 //Media Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB // [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 10 2021 9:08 PM In reply to

Re: Bug with UME Link when transcoding (Exception:)

QT AMA plugin was the way we used to AMA link QT files (.mov .mp4)

With Apple killing QT Avid have created UME so UME is the new way to AMA link QT content.

However it works slightly differently t the old QT plugin.

The old QT plugin would ignore any part of a frame at the end (or start of the content) cropping off that content.

UME pads the video to potentially include upto 2 additional frames.

Its possible either of those frames is corrupt.

Have you tried making a subclip of the AMA master clip that starts and ends slightly shorted and transcode that?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Sat, Apr 10 2021 9:16 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

QT AMA plugin was the way we used to AMA link QT files (.mov .mp4)

With Apple killing QT Avid have created UME so UME is the new way to AMA link QT content.

However it works slightly differently t the old QT plugin.

The old QT plugin would ignore any part of a frame at the end (or start of the content) cropping off that content.

UME pads the video to potentially include upto 2 additional frames.

Its possible either of those frames is corrupt.

Have you tried making a subclip of the AMA master clip that starts and ends slightly shorted and transcode that?

No, I haven't. It crashes like half way down the transcode.

That's very interesting though, I'll keep that in mind next time I have an issue like this. 

MC 2021.3 | Pro Tools 12 HD //CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X //GPU: GTX 1650 //RAM: 32 GIGS DDR 4 //Media Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB // [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 13 2021 6:50 PM In reply to

• knejmann
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Århus, Denmark
    • Posts 248
    • Points 2,770

Recently I've had some h264 files from a gopro that caused MC to crash on transcode. When I put them on a timeline and removed the audio I could transcode the sequence without problems.

Maybe there is a bug related to AAC audio?

I still need to investigate further and probably create a case with Avid. 

Media Composer 2020.12.1 - Windows 10 - Dell 8520 - Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K - Interplay and NEXIS storage - Avid Artist Color. [view my complete system specs]

Kåre Nejmann

Danish Broadcasting Corporation - DR
    Aarhus, Denmark 

• Tue, Apr 13 2021 7:28 PM In reply to

I've already started a case, support tells me to use QuickTime rather than Ume, but I'm pushing them to investigate why ume isn't working.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller