Latest post Sat, Apr 10 2021 1:14 PM by Bruno M. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 8 2021 5:30 PM

colors channel out of line on footage

I recently got a BetaSP tape and the color seems like the lens and chip were not lined up correctly. It appears theres a purple cast to all the video and green outlines around objects on some shots. I have real trouble color correcting the footage using Avids's CC tools. Would I do better in Ater Effects or is there a way in the Symphony color correction tools?

MediaComposer 8.3.1 Mac Pro Harperstown OS 10.10.5 Dual 3.2 processors, 16Gb ram, 3 TB Sata internal hard drives, Graphic Card-NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT,... [view my complete system specs]

BustedFlush

• Sat, Apr 10 2021 1:14 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 783
    • Points 9,970

Re: colors channel out of line on footage

It may be that what you're seeing is the result of bad camera alignment/registration.

If it's BetaSP material, it's possible the source was from tubed (possibly Plumbicon) cameras. These needed regular tweaking to keep the beams aligned and focussed.

You'd see this type of colour fringing especially on bright edges like door frames etc.

If you've got a purple cast to the whole picture, then this can be easily fixed by dialling out some magenta or adding more green.

Green/magenta edges are more difficult to fix. You could try a bit of selective grading to do this. By colour-picking just the problem area/colour, you could apply desaturation to reduce the visability. Symphony CC has secondary correction, but it's quite crude. Davinci Resolve is a better bet for this sort of work.

There's also plugins that detect edges, so you could use these to isolate the problem parts and then apply the necessary corrections.

Given that every shot will be different, this is going to be a time-consuming operation.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller